New Plastics from China have arrived!

Front and rear fairings fully installed. May paint the hump and rear completely black but still undecided. The side fairing is not fully installed but did so for pics. I was more than satisfied with the fit, which was my biggest worry. Everything bolted right up without hassle.

Those look great. Not like some of the bad experiences floating around the board.

Where did you get them and how much?

Wow! man those are pretty hot. I agree on the hump but other than that they look awesome. Thanks for posting this I think you helped a lot of people out. My plastic is showing it's age too so I might have to follow your lead. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

How are the gaps between the fairings? I hear sometimes the China plastics are slightly misaligned. Also how are the decals?

If you expect OEM quality for $460 delivered to your door, you will be disappointed. Paint quality and graphics are decent. However, there is very little clear coat. It would be a good idea to add more clear coat if you wish more durability. I was just happy to put a totalled bike together for cheap and be riding it again.

Also, look for injection molded plastics. Most problems are from compression molded products which are junk. Another good bet is to look for the suppliers customer rating. There were plastics for much cheaper but I avoided them fearing an inferior product. If you are super anal about your bike, stay with OEM. The plastic was very good quality as was the fit.

Looks good just the way it is - SO my vote is NOT to paint the hump leave it like it is.

If you paint it black there will be too much dark in that area and then won't be balanced IMO.

Of course it's your bike and your choice.

Now that the bike is back together how are you doing from the crash that caused that damage. Good as new? or still hurting?

Looks good just the way it is - SO my vote is NOT to paint the hump.
Now that the bike is back together how are you doing from the crash that caused that damage. Good as new? or still hurting?

I'm back to mountain biking, hiking, track days. There is still pain in my right knee and I have not motocrossed or skied since the accident until I feel my knee is stable enough. I had major reconstruction of my right ankle back in 2001 and I've learned to be patient. It took 2 years until my ankle healed completely so I will give my knee the same recovery time.

And thank you for voting to keep everything as is. It's growing on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dookoo, what part of your bike made the insurance company total it?

I went down last October and my insurance company totaled mine for a broken piece on the front of the frame that holds the front stay/bracket for the headlight and dashboard.

Dookoo, what part of your bike made the insurance company total it?

I went down last October and my insurance company totaled mine for a broken piece on the front of the frame that holds the front stay/bracket for the headlight and dashboard.

From what I recall in his post. The stock rear set mount sheared off.

My insurance co. did not total for one piece, I dont think. It was just there was so much damage they figured it was cheaper to buy me a new one. The dealer that was working up the est. just quit looking for damage when he got to 16 grand but told the insurance that he was not done.

Insurance companies will always total a bike if anything structural on the frame is damaged from my experience. As the previous poster said, my right side footpeg mount was sheared from the frame. All the front, rear and left side plastics and exhaust were damaged. Subframe bent.

Also they calculate the cost of parts and labor, if it exceeds roughly 60-70% of the vehicle value- they will total it(usually).

Thank everyone for answering. I knew this forum had some really good people in it. I am going to be taking all of the plastics off and then taking the bike to a local Suzuki repair shop here in Germany. They will check to make sure that the frame is straight and will repair the broken part. This year will be one without a Busa, so I have my eyes on getting a 2003 GSX1000R.

My insurance guy said that they look at the salvage value of the bike and then start fixing it from there. So lets say they can get $4-$5k off the salvage then they start adding up the work. That's why they total bikes that seem in pretty good shape. The crash I had there was no question, as not much of the bike left in one piece. But in some of my more minor crashes I bet they might have totaled it too but I fixed those without a claim. I also found out they don't insure custom paint. So if the bike goes down you get OEM plastic and no paint.

Back