New pilot powers

PDBusa

who, me?
Donating Member
Registered
I was reading SR and they had a snibbit about some new dual compound Powers coming out, or out recently. You guys see or hear anything about them? They angled the harder compound center so the more wear you get on sides, the more softer compound you get into. Hard to describe, may be worth looking into?

Yea, I heard that too....wonder if the set I put on in July is that type...?

I know I like 'em tho..stick great, make the bike feel 100 lbs lighter...especially when initiating a turn.  The triangulated profile makes a HUGE difference..

<!--EDIT|mjn
Reason for Edit: None given...|1157312686 -->

i just installed a set have just under 1000 miles on them they are holdin up pretty well ! they stick realy nice and warm up realy fast ! i dont have any info on the dual compound ? but do recall sombody postin somthin like that in one of the tire compare threads , maybe it was a jinkster thread
rock.gif

I talked to a distributor that sells on ebay he told me the name of the new tires but I dont remember what it was he said that was why pilot powers were on back order he also explained that the center strip was a harder compond than the edges that way they last longer on the strait a ways but will stick like hell in the twisties (the best of both worlds)
wink.gif

They are called Pilot Power 2CT's.
The compound on the shoulder is said to be 20% softer than in the center. may need a set next spring!
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|PDBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1157316543 -->

I have a friend in Canada that told me his group of three buddies are all using the dual compound Pilots and they love them. He told me to get a set. Next set will probably be these.

I seen them on the Michelin web site. The Zuk dealer here didnt know anything about them when I went to replace my rear last week. Probably put a set on for the spring bash, probably need a set by then.

I bought a set of Pilot Powers 6 months ago and just had them mounted last week in anticipation of my trip next week to The Dragon. Maybe I should have waited to buy the new PP's?

Anyhoo, I love the way these tires handle. As mjn stated in his post, the bike handles like it is much lighter and turn-in's are much easier.

Dual compoud tires? Man o Man, where have I been.

I'd imagine that the softer sides heat up as much as the middle during normal riding. Which would mean the softer side would be sticky during non-use, so I'd imagine if I decided to make a yellow left hander, I could really lean her over getting through that light and not have that nice slide effect? Sweet.

I just put close to 1000 miles on my new PPs and love em. They warm up quicker than I expected and stick real well. I ride with my GF on the back mostly and so far all of the miles on the PPs have been with her on the back. We did a weekend trip to Natural Bridge state park in KY over Labor Day weekend on the Busa. Fantastic area for twisties and a lot less traffic then Deals Gap. Will take some pics of the rear and post them when I get home from this business trip.

The new PP 2CT rear uses the same rubber compound as the standard PP in the middle and as others have said a 20% softer compound on the sides. Basically you will get a Medium compound on the sides.

The front 2CT uses a medium compound in the middle and a soft on the edges.

The 2CT will not replace the standard Power.

I think Michelin is on the right track with the 2CT. I have been a strong advocate on the V shaped profile of the Power line and now they are offering a tire to compete in the area I am looking for.

The STD power is an awsome tire providing excellent feedback and they do slide in a tight corner but they are predictable. I know quite a few guys doing track days on PP and doing fine.

I normally run a mix of soft front and medium rear on the street so this will be a great option for the times I do not want to run a race specific tire.

Boy Howdy, I've seen a ton of guys on Michelins crash on the track this summer. Just this last weekend at Spokane on guy wadded both his 600 and his 750 on michelins. One of the top racers here who was sponsered my michelin gave them the rasberry after to many crashes on michelins and went back to Pirelli's. I've seen lots of crash victims on michelins in the street riders group as well. The scuttle butt seems to be if you are going to ride michelins on the edge, you better be super smooth because they are unforgiving if you are a little rough around the edges.

On the other hand, I think they are good tires for the average street rider who rarely gets them on the edge. Personally, if you catch me on michelins, just shoot me!

The popular tires at the track now are Dunlops. I'm running the Sportmax and find them to be as good if not better than any tire I've run to date. However, Pirelli is a tough one to beat. IMO both are better than michelin. Both give you warning before letting go. I've heard this phares many times from Michelin riders, "I was just crusing in the corner, dragging my knee and the front just gave up"!

(Tufbusa @ Sep. 07 2006,12:05) I've heard this phares many times from Michelin riders, "I was just crusing in the corner, dragging my knee and the front just gave up"!
I hear the same line just about every time someone crashes on the track. Just insert current tire brand they are using at the time.

Tires are a funny breed. One rider loves them while another compares them as squirmy.

I am with you....I wonder if it is due to tire pressure/style.....dunno........

I'll take opinion from real world spirited riding on the street over some recreational track-day rider likely pushing his bike beyond his ability at the track to the point where it didn't matter what tire he was running.  Like vman said, insert tire brand here " " .

Having said that I ride aggressive on the street/turns/sweeps but would push it further at the controlled environment of the track and in doing so wouldn't be surprised if the tires eventually gave way on me.

Dunlop Q's are popular at the tracks because they are the new latest and greatest, so everybody wants to try them out.  Just like these dual-comp, MX tires.  I think the MX, Dunlop or Pirellis would all work well.

I've seen the ads for the 2CT's too.

I'm actually gonna throw on either the Qualifiers or the PP Race compound for my Gixx. Hellz, I might just put on some slicks since I'm on some sort of lean angle all of the time.
wink.gif

Man, my stockers only lasted 3500 miles?
rock.gif
How about yo guys?? Wow, glad I bought the pirelli's!!! almost went michelin..

Hmmm...I went from Pirelli Super Corsa to Michelin PPs and I love the Michelins as much as I loved the Corsa's when they were first on. I think I will try the Dunlops next. Maybe I just love new tires...hehehe

(tinbender0 @ Sep. 09 2006,19:39) Man, my stockers only lasted 3500 miles?
rock.gif
 How about yo guys??  Wow, glad I bought the pirelli's!!! almost went michelin..
Tire wear is related to a number of factory:

weight
pavement
hp/tq
riding style

These can all affect how one tire will wear 5000 and the same tire less than 1000.

I get around 1000 miles out of most street rubber on the rear. The PP provided me over 1500.

Back