new owner with a pcv question

HUCKDAT

Registered
is it necessary to have a can termination plug on a pcv with an auto tuner on a 2016 with the yoshimura r-77 full single exhaust?

thanks in advance
scott

Last edited:
Not an override to the sensors but he is asking about a "CAN network" termination plug.

HUCKDAT, here is some info from Dynojet's site that might answer this (let us know.)

http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/support-released/manuals/IAT-300.06.pdf

An AFR value of 0.00 could indicate a firmware problem, or that Auto Tune has not been enabled in the software, or that Auto-tune configurations are not currently allowing Auto-tune to sample. This could also indicate a problem in the CAN bus, such as a damaged or loose CAN link cable or a missing CAN termination plug. (NOTE: Newer Auto-tune modules with a serial number starting with 15 or higher, do not come with CAN termination plugs supplied and do not require a CAN termination plug.)

thanks for the replies,i will have to see what autotune i have.the bike runs great as-is,but i saw a setup video on powercommander website that talked about the termination plug. i also saw on a site that sold the plug that talked about it not being necessary.
thanks again for your responses
scott

i looked on the pcv and autotunes but didnt see anywhere that a serial number would be.if the number is on the bottom of the box ill never see it,the previous owner put the velcro mounting strips down there.
20180806_125641.jpg

20180806_125653.jpg

20180806_125723.jpg

20180806_125649.jpg

20180806_125656.jpg

i wonder,would the pcv program tell me those numbers?
thanks again
scott

I am not sure. Sometimes serial numbers are just assigned via a sticker and sometimes the hardware is programmed so that the unit is self-aware of the serial. If you have a Windows device then this is easy enough for you to check.

If it were me and I was unaware of how the bike was tuned, then I would back up the map, enable Autotune, do some riding and see that it works, that fuel changes seem reasonable, and note the warning above. Then I would know the unit is working and the tune is reasonable.

well,today i took it down to the local shop to get new tires put on and it seems that a bolt is missing out of the rear caliper.wont be riding it this week.
par for the course....
-when i bought it ,it had an aftermarket stabilizer installed on the triple tree.the nut that holds the upper triple tree on the bike was missing.
-when i put the stock stabilizer on the bike ,the bolt that holds the horn in place was loose.
so i'm having the techs at the shop look over the bike.5165 miles on it anyway,and the service manual says to check all of the bolts at 6000.was going to do that over the winter as iv'e only put 55 miles on it since purchase.when i get the bike home ill hook it up to my laptop and see what the program says.
thanks for your interest and help
scott

The CAN Bus is only on BMWs I thought. They have a computer controlled electrical system that will throw an error if something is pulling power that is out of spec. This may be a an S1000RR PC5 unit. It's possible other manufacturers are running the CAN Bus but I didn't know anyone else was using the (beeping) system.

Arch, aside from that I think (correct me if I am wrong) the accessories to the Power Commander are connected by CAN bus, ergo it is a CAN connection from the PC to the AT. (Reminds me of a SCSI hardware setup except CAN seems to do a broadcast from a device to all other devices for unity of information.)

Arch, aside from that I think (correct me if I am wrong) the accessories to the Power Commander are connected by CAN bus, ergo it is a CAN connection from the PC to the AT. (Reminds me of a SCSI hardware setup except CAN seems to do a broadcast from a device to all other devices for unity of information.)
Afraid I'm a little past my bed time. I just saw Can Bus and knew BMW uses this and so figured it might be a PC 5 for a BMW. School us if you can though. Are you saying the CAN Bus is just how the PC V talks to the AutoTune?

School us if you can though. Are you saying the CAN Bus is just how the PC V talks to the AutoTune?

Yes.

I just looked up the POD display, another accessory, on DynoJet's site. The display can be used with any PCV setup. It states:

Connect the supplied cable into the port on the side of the module and run the other end of the cable to an open CAN port of the PCV network. •This can connect to the PCV, Ignition Module or SFM. Whichever has an open CAN port. If your network currently has a CAN termination plug occupying the open port then you can remove the CAN termination plug. It will no longer be necessary

From a vendor's site. Note they call the network "DynoJet CAN":

https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/dynojet-pod-300-digital-display

The Dynojet POD-300 is an accessory display for Dynojet devices that support DJ-CAN; including the popular Power Commander V, AutoTune, WideBand 2, and CMD.

Simply connect the included CAN cable and you’re ready to go; there’s no need to tap power or deal with other messy connections.

Back