New owner of a 40th Busa

justin726

Registered
I have been looking around for an orange busa for about the last month while I was in the process of selling my Honda VTX.  Last week I finally found a buyer for the VTX but hadn't located a Busa yet (other than on Ebay).  Frantically, Wednesday morning, I was calling all the dealers that I could find a phone number for on the internet.  NO ONE in Nebraska had a 40th, and it seemed like no one in Kansas did either.  I went down to the local dealer who I had talked to a couple weeks back and he thought he could find one.  Well, he couldn't.  He ended up haveing to get a list from Suzuki that told him where some of the closest dealers were that had one.  The closest one ended up being in Cheyenne, Wyoming.  I talked it over with my dealer and we had a plan.  

So, Wensday evening my buyer picked up my old VTX and a couple hours later I headed off to Sturgis for the bike rally up there.  This was my first time at the Sturgis rally.  I'd tell you guys about my two days up there but there isn't enough room on this page so I'll save it for another post.  I ended up driving from Sturgis to Cheyenne early on Saturday and picking up my bike.  I got it home on Saturday evening and was soo worn out from the last couple of days that I just unloaded it off the trailer and parked it in the garage for the night.  I HAD to get some much needed sleep.

This morning I took it out and put on just 150 miles,and after the ride I think the best part about the bike is that it is S.S.S. (Super Silky Smooth).
tounge.gif
  The way the bike runs down the road is effortless, the transmission is smooth shifting,  and even operating the blinker switch is smooth.  After riding my VTX for 12 months and puting on about 8000 miles, the best comparison that I can make between the two is that when I was riding that cruiser I felt like I was working because of all the effort it took to ride it, but on the Busa, it's like a Hawaiian Vacation where you enjoy every minute of it.  Man, I couldn't be happier!!
idea.gif

Congrats Justin!! And enjoy your new toy!!

Can't wait to hear all about your Sturgis trip(post lots of pics)....I was stationed at Ellsworth Air Force base for four years, so I've experienced the Sturgis thing first hand...

Good luck ....... Rock on!!
egitarre77.gif

Hey Justin, Enjoy the Great Pumpkin Man!  Freakin Sweet Bike.

Have Fun with it, if you need some help keeping her in good running condition this winter, just let me know.  I'll keep it well tuned for you over the winter months.  
idea.gif

OH yeah, Welcome to the board...

Have Fun with it, if you need some help keeping her in good running condition this winter, just let me know.  I'll keep it well tuned for you over the winter months.  
idea.gif
Yeah, what do I need for the winter. As long as the roads are dry I try to at least ride it to work as much as I can. Hopefully it can handle temps in the 30's. Let me know sometime.

The busa will definately handle 30 degree weather. I got mine last Oct. and have yet to go a full week without riding
biggrin.gif
. I may freeze my butt off but as long as I give plenty of warm up time the bike handles it just fine. Had to pay a bit more attention to tires though, otherwise no problems

idea.gif
Yeah, what do I need for the winter.  As long as the roads are dry I try to at least ride it to work as much as I can.  Hopefully it can handle temps in the 30's.  Let me know sometime.
No need to freeze anything off in winter
brave.gif
(I *knew* there was a use for that smilie...).

I spent about $30 at Jastek for a fused BMW/"euro" plug power outlet and installed it in the left inner fairing. The plug has a spring-loaded cover and is quite waterproof. Required a few minutes' time and one 11/16" hole for the plug itself.

I use it for my Gerbings' electric heated jacket liner and gloves. You have no idea how great this can be at 15degF (such as when I was commuting to work last winter in the sleet and snow), plus you don't have to dress like the Michelin man.

The 'Busa's alternator has more than enough juice for these goodies (about 100w for both), but not enough for for a passengers' gear as well. If you want a few more watts just in case, add HIDs like I did (35w each, 40w total savings -- except at start-up).

As for warming up, shim-under-bucket valve trains in liquid-cooled engines benefit from a good warm-up in all weather -- makes adjustments less expensive and reduces wear all around.

Welcome to the board and congratulations on finding your Busa. Injoy it

Congrats on the new bike....and I'm waiting to hear about Sturgis --I may have to eventually go up for that... As for cold weather the busa will handle it with no problems and the engine will warm up enough to keep your legs nice and toasty. As for adding electrical outlet/cigarette outlet -- I bought one for $5 at Autozone with a cap on it and wired under the left panel, and placed a 15amp fuse in the line. That should do the trick and the cap will keep the water out (as long as you remember to close it).

Take your time on it till you get the feel for it..Be safe and keep the shiney side up!

Back