New member needs help- Can you guys help him

jwcfbd

Administrator
Donating Member
Registered
Posted for 02Busaguy

I need serious help. My Busa was over serviced with oil and white smoke billowed out of my exhaust, opened her up and found oil in my air box, changed the oil, put it at the proper level, also changed the spark plugs. Started up just fine, no more smoke, but now there is this rattling noise at idle and gets worse when you twist the throttle. Does anyone have any ideas. Please help me get my baby rolling again!!

Can you describe where the noise is coming from?
What kind of noise is it?
The oil in the airbox is probably due to overfilling.

Sound like a rod bearing or main, either way with out seeing in person there is no way really to give accurate advise! Sorry!

Good Luck

Sound like a rod bearing or main, either way with out seeing in person there is no way really to give accurate advise! Sorry!

Good Luck

YA I agree. dont run it till you figure it out. will cause more damage if this is the case.

What if he puts heavier oil in it? would heavier oil quiet down bearings going out? I dont mention this to be able to ride it...only to see if thats what it is

Thicker oil will help hide the symtpom, but will not fix the problem.

Try (with a small wooden dow rod) measuring the stroke on each of the cylinders, if there is a bad rod bearing there should be a difference in the cyclinder where the problem is.

How many miles on the motor?

The motor has 28K on it. The rattling noise is coming from inside sounds like its in the engine, not exactly sure though. I took the spark plugs out to do a compression check and looking at the spark plugs two look like they sparked and two look brand new, dont know if that means that they didnt fire at all or what. Need help quick its almost warm outside.
Thanks

Thanks for the spark plug pics, if I have oil in the airbox could that oil have leaked past the piston rings and if so is this an expensive fix. If I checked the compression what would this tell me? I am also going to paint my Busa while she's down, Have some rashes on her and need to fill them where could I get some plastic to melt down?

I cant help you with the engine, not enough knowledge, but if you want to fill scratches, dont melt plastic, just get you some fiberglass re-enforced bondo and fill with that. I used this same thing on my wifes bike. When I start painting it I will post up some pics of the process.

Good luck...wish I could help. A status report will be welcome!

:beerchug: <==to anyone/everyone who can help this guy.

The motor has 28K on it. The rattling noise is coming from inside sounds like its in the engine, not exactly sure though. I took the spark plugs out to do a compression check and looking at the spark plugs two look like they sparked and two look brand new, dont know if that means that they didnt fire at all or what. Need help quick its almost warm outside.
Thanks

Can you post a pic of the spark plugs ???

how much oil was put in it? Did a dealership do it or was it a mishap on someone elses part. If you changed oil and filter 4 quarts is ok.

saying that to say ...it may not be from too much oil?

You want pics of the new plugs i put in or the old ones. The new plugs look normal except for the two that look brand new, the old plugs look pretty nasty. Tell you what I'll post both sets.

Put it like this I bought the bike used, so a dealership didnt do the oil change, when I did it I had a 15qt oil container I changed the oil on my 4Runner, which you have to say is about 5-6 qts. Then I did my Busa and the oil that came out of her filled the container and spilled over onto my garage floor. I changed the filter and filled her with a little more than 3.5 qts.

So what you are saying is that there was more than 9 quarts in the bike?
That would be a problem.
You cannot compress a liquid. (Not even 1 mm.)
So if there was that much oil in the motor, the pistons moving up and down may have tried to compress the oil and you could have bent a rod or even the crank.
Let us know the name of the guy who did the oil change (dealer?), so we can all run in the other direction (screaming).
You may have to take it to someone who can listen to the noise and predict what went wrong, but with that much oil, it could have hurt a lot of things.

I also found this link from another thread:

Motorcycle Repair: too much oil in a Suzuki Hayabusa, crankcase ventilation, suzuki hayabusa

Question:
I rode the 60 miles home from my favorite dealership after an oil change and parked my bike in the garage. While in the garage this morning, I notice a large amount of oil on the floor under my bike. Yesterday on the way home, I smelled a little hot oil, but I just assumed he spilled a little while adding it. I centered the bike to check the oil level while the engine was cold and there was no bubble in the oil window, it was past the full mark. There was oil leaking around the drain plug. So it looks to me that the tech put way too much oil in my bike for some reason. My question is this: what occurs when the bike is ridden with too much oil in the crankcase? Did I do any damage to my bike while riding it almost an hour? Is there any other place the oil may have tried to seep out of other than the drain plug, causing damage to the engine?

Answer
Lee, the first call you should be making is to the dealership, if you haven't already. Check the drain plug for being tight and if it is, then they damaged the gasket or O-ring during the work. if he didn't crack the crankcase by overtightening the drain bolt.

Too much oil in the crankcase gets spun up by the crankshaft and gets fizzed up with air from the whipping action. Oil with air bubbles is not a good lubrication scenario. If you didn't ride it really hard with lots of rpm, then it may not be in danger, but have the dealership drain the oil and filter and look for any signs of metal in the oil from lubrication failure damage.
You could have oil pumped up into the crankcase ventilation system, so have that looked at too. They may have to replace or service the air filter and air box if a lot of oil got pushed up in there.

Sometimes, too much of a good thing is NOT a good thing..

all I can say is it sounds like anouther YUT UGHHHH! hope you get it sorted out

compresion test firstmake sure lowest and highest are within 10 percent of each other , should tell you a bunch

I changed the oil and filter, didnt notice any metal in it, I have a K&N Filter so I have to replace that altogether, cleaned out the airbox. Will do a compression check this afternoon when I get home.

Also looking to start my prep work to paint my Busa, any suggestions on whether I should use fiberglass or plastic for my repairs.

Back