New Member here W/ a question

:welcome: to the org. As others have said, stay away from highly modified bikes, especially turbo or sprayed bikes. They've obviously been rode hard, and when u start putting that kinda pressure in the engine, you cut their lives way down. Simple bolt ons aren't bad, but try to find one as close to stock as possible, 1st or 2nd owner with paperwork. Stay away from from the 1999 & early 2000 models as they have a tendency for fuel problems due to fuel pump design; nothing major, just alot of extra maintenance. '01 - '07 were all identical with only a couple of small changes here and there.
Good luck.

Power Commander adjusts the air/fuel. You only need to mess with that if you have a full exhaust. And now there are other ways to do this.....flash your ecu.

Don't worry you WILL be looking into all this stuff SOON !! Just get the bike first & :welcome:

Welcome .
No offense meant but if you don't know what a power commander is or does then I would say stay away from the turbo . There is alot that goes into making a turbo and making it run right . You need to have a great working knowledge of things in order to recognize anything out of the ordinary .

I will add to look for a bike as close to stock as possible. Never know who's been tinkering under the plastics and what their skill level was..

Welcome to the Org! :welcome:

Agree, stay away from one with too many mods. :banghead:

<p>I agree with Ace, keep super stock with least miles possible. Try for an 07, last year of the Gen 1's.</p>
<p><font size="1"><i>Posted via Mobile Device</i></font></p>

me personally I'd go for the 99. like others have said a turbo could mean a lot of money and time down because of repairs.

Get a '03 or later, by then Suzuki had fixed the fuel pump issues, used steel instead of aluminum in the rear subframe, installed an anti rattle spring in the clutch, resolved the cam chain issues with a new oil feed design, upgraded the ecu to a 32 bit unit, and most importantly installed a torque limiter in the starter idle/reduction gear, larger gears as well, to prevent the cases cracking went the starter went bad. They are the same from '03 to '07. As for the top speed restriction there are several very easy fixes for that.

I'd stay the h3ll away from a '99. :D

cheers
ken

Last edited:
Get a '03 or later, by then Suzuki had fixed the fuel pump issues, used steel instead of aluminum in the rear subframe, installed an anti rattle spring in the clutch, resolved the cam chain issues with a new oil feed design, upgraded the ecu to a 32 bit unit, and most importantly installed a torque limiter in the starter idle/reduction gear, larger gears as well, to prevent the cases cracking went the starter went bad. They are the same from '03 to '07. As for the top speed restriction there are several very easy fixes for that.

I'd stay the h3ll away from a '99. :D

cheers
ken

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Welcome .
No offense meant but if you don't know what a power commander is or does then I would say stay away from the turbo . There is alot that goes into making a turbo and making it run right . You need to have a great working knowledge of things in order to recognize anything out of the ordinary .

No offense taken, Im here to learn also. I have found a 2000 busa under 3 grand also.

:welcome:
i highly suggest taking a flashlight and doing a thorough inspection of any bike you buy. its easy to make it look shiny on the outside, hiding problems underneath. id pull the seat if possible and look at wiring make sure the harness isnt all chopped up. check for broken or loose fasteners. just feel it out for problems.

i had a buddy who bought a nice 03 gixxer 1000. it looked sweet and had a bottle of funny gas bolted on. he bought it for 5k. later on at the drag strip it started smoking under the seat and died. turns out the engine was out of an 06 or something and the harness was hob cobbled on the bike and shorted out. could have been treacherous if he was going 140 when it failed, especially on spray. i went over and checked out the harness and the wires were melted all through the harness ruining ALL the wiring on the bike. had to be completely re-wired.

My honest opinion is the one you found for 4k is in Nigeria with lots of other people's money...just saying..:beerchug:

IMHO find something in good shape that has been well cared for in the long run it's nearly always the cheaper way then, fixing, fixing, rigging, fixing...:whistle: Well you know what I mean. :thumbsup: and :welcome:

Its the copper color.

If its in even ok shape you should get it, That bike will be a collectors item.

Let me know if you dont, I might be interested in it, Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm so where is it located anyway

Back