New member / future owner

Jake71

Registered
I've been riding for about 24 years and have owned a few bikes over the years.

Suzuki 350
1990 Kawasaki EX500
1998 Kawasaki ZX6R
Honda CB450E (sitting in the garage for my GF to learn to ride on)
2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (currently with Hayabusa fork tubes, rim and brakes up front)

I've been planning on a new bike next year to ADD to the stable. The Bandit is in excellent condition and has never let me down or gone down for that matter.. haha

The field has been narrowed down from several bikes:

- Harley Davidson VROD
- Kawasaki ZX14R
- Kawasaki Concorse 14
- Hayabusa

It's taken several months of looking and deciding on the bike to set my sights on.

I've narrowed it down to the Hayabusa. Hence me signing up on this forum to gather more info and get acquainted, perhaps meet a few owners locally.

Surely my initial questions have been answered time and time again but my first quest is for:

1. properly lowering the bike about 1 inch maybe 1.5 inches to try and get a bit more flat footed.
- fork tubes internally modified?
- strap (Not really interested in having a strap) on the front
- lowering links for rear?
- Another method I have not seen yet?

My riding style:
- I like to Cruise (led a group of newbie 250 riders with my Bandit once and they rode like their rear ends were on fire... I still beat them to the destination by 15 minutes as they blasted past my shortcut ;) )
- Curves, sure love em but I'm 42 with a daughter to support and my body doesnt heal as fast anymore so i take it a lot slower through them.

I hate short rides and crowded rides.... days of flying through Mullholland and the Rock store are long over. I prefer the view of the country side going to Big Bear or Idlywild down toward San Diego. Palomar Mountains are fun and Angeles Crest of ok if it's not full of hooligans.

Enough about me, time to do some thread searching.

thanks

jake

The Vrod is only a 5 speed trans so the RPM's at highway speed are annoying. I'd go with the Busa.

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

Sorry I missed this. Of course most here will say Hayabusa :laugh: As far as lowering the bike a little, IMO the cheapest method would be risers for the front, from memory very cheap and will lower the nose about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches. The only draw back to this method is that when you lock the steering to the left you will probably operate the front brake. The brake lever will barely touch the windscreen. I tell you this so you don't dump the big girl in the garage after making this mod.

If that's not enough for you to flatfoot the bike you can cut the riders seat down ( I wouldn't recommend this, since you like to ride distance ) or buy and install a good set of lowering links.

Try to avoid lowering the bike more than you have to because the lowering takes away handling and will cause the bike to bottom out in certain situations. They do look sexy lowered.

Hit us up with any questions you have.

Back