New member and potential owner

Xerces

Registered
Hey All!

Well, I've been reading through some of this forum for a few weeks now and have to say that this is one of the better biker forums I've come across. Not many egos or bad vibes, just a lot of riders with a major common and undoubtedly fun interest. While out and about scanning the posts, I noticed a lot of active members that are from the Tampa/Central Florida area. I live in Clearwater and find it nice to see so many locals that are really into group rides and havin fun on some of Florida's better backroads

Anyways, I'm out bike shopping again. I currently own a Victory Vegas cruiser and have been thinking of trading it in or augmenting with a new bike. My top picks being a Busa, GSX-R1000, or GSX-R750. I love my bike but really want something faster
biggrin.gif
 and hopefully more comfortable (ruling out the 1000 and 750)! BUT, I also want the same high respect and "gawking eyes" that I get with my Orange/Silver Vegas. I have always had a high respect for the Busas and am really starting to feel it might be the right bike for me since I'm a fairly decent sized guy: 6'+ @ 225lbs.

I'm not sure if any of you Tampa area folk are familiar with the my local Suzuki dealer, West Coast Powersports in Clearwater or not. If so, I was hoping that some of you could give me some inside info as to if you feel they are a good dealership or not and what might be a good asking price for an 05 Busa through these guys. I don't mind them making money but I don't want to get raped either.

As many of you know, its pretty hard to get a good deal on bikes in this area due to the supply and demand issue. I have found some great deals out of state if I don't mind picking up or shipping the bike (and it may come to that). West Coast does not deviate much from their prices and have close to $500 of add-on and taxable fees. I can't really blame them if they are willing and able to wait to find someone that will pay their asking prices. I find that I'm asking myself if that additional cost (upwards of $1500+ OTD over what I can find out of state) is worth a good dealer relationship and an additional $30+/- per month in payments.

So, if any of you care to comment on my delima, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if I do end up going with the Busa, or even one of the smaller Gixxers, it would be great to hook up with you locals and find a few more less traveled back roads to add to my list.

Later!!!

Cal

<!--EDIT|Xerces
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114365444 -->

Welcome to the Org Cal, I'm sure your quest for local info will be answered shortly..... In the mean time sit back and relax while taking in some great info on "our" beloved Busa....... Ks

Welcome to the org, Cal!!
cool.gif

I think you'll find much joy in going with the Busa over the Gixxer 750 or 1000~ Particularly with your size/weight ratio~  
wink.gif

I've never dealt directly with Powersports in Clearwater, myself~ However, I bought the Katana in '01 (the wifes bike now) and then the Busa in '04 from Powersports in Tampa (known now days as Tampa Motorsports)~ I've always used the same salesman (Chuck Scheer) due to the fact he is a fair man and doesn't try to screw you around every corner~ When I got the Kat I just walked in there and said.."OK, I know the MSRP is this much.. and I'm willing to give you this much.. and you gotta throw in a Helmet" Then when I went back for the Busa I did pretty much the same thing and he threw in a Joe Rocket riding jacket~ Good man to deal with~ Anyhow my point being..
I was down to Clearwater Powersports this past weekend with Diesel (another member here), cause they ordered the wrong lights for him, and there is Chuck! I talked to him a bit and it turns out he wasn't happy with the changes made at the Tampa store when they went from Powersports to Motorsports~ He's now at the Clearwater store on a permanent basis~ Give him a call... 727.536.4791~ You can try mentioning my name and the story of the Kat and Busa I purchased from him in Tampa.. not sure it will get you any better a deal then if you didn't, but atleast he'll know you're there to do business and not play games~  He should do right by ya...
wink.gif

wink.gif

I was down to Clearwater Powersports this past weekend with Diesel (another member here), cause they ordered the wrong lights for him, and there is Chuck! I talked to him a bit and it turns out he wasn't happy with the changes made at the Tampa store when they went from Powersports to Motorsports~ He's now at the Clearwater store on a permanent basis~ Give him a call... 727.536.4791~ You can try mentioning my name and the story of the Kat and Busa I purchased from him in Tampa.. not sure it will get you any better a deal then if you didn't, but atleast he'll know you're there to do business and not play games~
Hey ks-waterbug & GJoker, Thanks for takin a moment to respond! Glad to be here!
smile.gif

GJoker, thanks for the insight. I have been working with a sales rep named Andy down at West Coast (Clearwater) Powersports and he seems like a pretty straight up guy. I'm still kinda in that dating game stage since I'm still oscillating between what my next ride is gonna be and as to tradin my vegas or not. <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(The wife wants a an '05 Triumph Speed Triple so I either have to sell the Vegas first or find a way to trade it in. Can't afford three bikes at once.
sad.gif
)
</span>

So, did Chuck comment at all as to what he thought of his new gig? Did he seem to like working there? He may not have said much in front of a "customer" but I figured I'd ask. Out of curiosity, what does Diesel think of the place?

I know I'm probably pushing my luck here with questions.....
wink.gif
but if you don't mind me askin', how much were you able to get Tampa down on the MSRP and what kind of fees where they charging?

I guess the reason I'm asking so many questions is that when I see an ad like this one on eBay, I really have to stop and wonder how much a relationship to my local dealer means. I can get the above Busa for about $10275, including taxes, and then only have to worry about getting it down here <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Me thinks a long road trip back through the smokey mountains may be in order
smile.gif
)
</span>. I'd be lucky to get a base price of that on the Busas down the street from me. Damn, I'm torn... loyalty to local businesses used to mean something to me but times have changed and its hard to still feel that way, know what I mean?
sad.gif

Anyways, thanks again for your input and I'll have to make sure to search Chuck out next time I go down there and at least say "Hey!" and give you a few props for recommending him.

Later....

Cal

smile.gif

sad.gif

Cal,

Welcome to the board. Your impression of some of the dealers is dead-on. I am currently searching all the dealers west of Ohio (excluding CA) and have found a HUGE difference in prices as I go.

If the tip you got above does not work out, it will be worth your time to let your fingers do the walkin.....

Good Luck,

John

Welcome Xerces!

I think you would be happiest with a Busa.
smile.gif

I am GJoker's other half, and I also have been torn between a Gixxer 750 and a Busa.. Then I rode GJoker's Busa.. I'm positive I need a Busa.
cool.gif

I can tell you that GJoker's busa was 10700 with tag taxes and title, and a jacket thrown in. And his is an 04.

Good luck, and like I said.. I'm pretty sure that you need a Busa.
wink.gif

Welcome to the board.  Your impression of some of the dealers is dead-on.  I am currently searching all the dealers west of Ohio (excluding CA) and have found a HUGE difference in prices as I go.

If the tip you got above does not work out, it will be worth your time to let your fingers do the walkin.....
Hey John! Thanks for the welcome!

So, I take it you are loosing or have already lost your dealer loyalty too huh? ;)

Helibusa,
A few questions.........
1. What have you found as the best method to shop multiple dealers in multiple states??
2. Has this forum ever tried a group purchase?? I have read a number of posts that mention someone is looking for a new Busa. I am in the market also, is it feasible to get a group of us new buyers together and buy from 1 dealer at a reduced price??
3. Why are you not looking for a Busa in California??
Thanks
CJ5

Welcome Xerces!

I think you would be happiest with a Busa.  
smile.gif

I am GJoker's other half, and I also have been torn between a Gixxer 750 and a Busa.. Then I rode GJoker's Busa.. I'm positive I need a Busa.
cool.gif

I can tell you that GJoker's busa was 10700 with tag taxes and title, and a jacket thrown in.  And his is an 04.

Good luck, and like I said.. I'm pretty sure that you need a Busa.
wink.gif
Hey Kat!!!!

Need one huh? heheheeeee! So, tell me what you really think!

Ya know, I think I am going to take this whole thread and print it out, walk right up to Andy at West Coast and say "Here, get me a similar deal, or I'm goin' else where".

BTW, that was a KILLER DEAL you guys got!!!!!

Hopefully, if all works out well in the next couple of week and I do end up getting my much "need"ed busa, we can all hook up and get together from time to time. I have a few cruiser guys I ride with from time to time, but not quite sure that my mentality nor riding habits are quite suited to that pack, if ya know what I mean??? ;) If course, Kat (my wife Kathy) will have to be a passenger until she can get her bike. Bummer for her!!!!
sad.gif

Later....

Cal

CJ5,

I know that you were asking HeliBusa your questions but I have some insight for the first two that may be helpfull.

1. What have you found as the best method to shop multiple dealers in multiple states??[/QUOTE]

So far, my favorite method is to use cycletrader.com. That is how I found my Victory Vegas. I purchased out of Arizona and saved a ton of money but due to the hassles in signing paperwork and delays in shipment, I'm not sure I will go that route again. Plus, the bike was FILTHY when it got here. For me to do it again, it will have to be a great deal and close enough for me to pick it up directly at the dealer either by flying up and riding back or driving up and hauling back.

More dealers are starting to advertise on
eBay Motorcycle too so that is also an option but not near as helpfull as cycletrader.com.

2. Has this forum ever tried a group purchase??  I have read a number of posts that mention someone is looking for a new Busa.  I am in the market also, is it feasible to get a group of us new buyers together and buy from 1 dealer at a reduced price??[/QUOTE]

I was actually going to do a two bike purchase with a buddy of mine when I was looking into CBR1000RRs a while back and we would have gotten a little better deal but he backed out of buying a new bike and I changed my mind on the CBR. I do think that if two or more walk in at the same time and are prepared and ready to buy, the dealer would probably cut a handsome deal. Hell, to sell three of four in one day using 1 stone is a deal they can't screw around on nor afford to pass up. It costs them to keep that inventory around. The quicker its out the door, the less interest they are paying.

If you or any others are interested in making a purchase in the next few weeks, I would entertain a "group buy". Of course, if I can pull off a sweet deal like KatsMeow mentioned her significant other, GJoker, did, I will probably buy local.

Cal

<!--EDIT|Xerces
Reason for Edit: "damn typos"|1114392172 -->

3. Why are you not looking for a Busa in California??
Damn, I could have probably answered this one in my last post. I could be wrong but I think he is trying to avoid the smog controlled versions that would be sold in California. Or rather, he is looking for what is sometimes known as a "49 States" bike/engine.

HeliBusa, please correct me if I'm wrong???

Cal

<!--EDIT|Xerces
Reason for Edit: "more damned typos"|1114392659 -->

You would think after living in Nor-Cal for 5+ years (previous life) I would have known the smog answer before I asked the question...........

Any West Coasters looking to purchase a BUSA soon??
CJ5

Welcome to the board, you are in good company over there on the left coast. Don't know the dealers you have locally but it would be a good idea to chat up Eric @ ARS Powersports in Okeechobee. A few of us on here have purchased bikes from him including myself. He is a straight-up, no nonsense guy and his prices are tough to beat. Give him a shout and he will give you an OTD price, no games. You still might buy locally, but it is worth a phone call. Okeechobee is not much of a roadtrip for you.

Back