New M109 sure is pretty!

I'm still a VERY firm believer that the clutch/trans problems are rider related. Most people that complain of the clunky trans haven't ridden a cruiser before, and most people that complain of the clutch shutter have never ridden a BIG twin. These bikes aren't Honda CBR's, they are quirky, POWERFUL V-twins. You can't compare how they run/behave to how a sportbike or a standard behaves.

What's the deal with the clutch cables on them? Hasn't there been an issue with some of them breaking, or am I thinking of a different bike?

What's the deal with the clutch cables on them? Hasn't there been an issue with some of them breaking, or am I thinking of a different bike?

Yeah, there is the random clutch cable breakage, but just like anything else on the internet, you'd swear it happens to all of them, when in reality, its very rare. I believe the cable is routed very strangely, not sure though, and I never had an issue.

It's about the same as the oil in your airbox of the ZX14R.. :laugh: My frame was supposed to crack in half on my '05 Gsxr1000 as well..

I'm still a VERY firm believer that the clutch/trans problems are rider related.

Yes and no. Tranny trouble is 100% rider. Clutch shudder is a result of improper oiling of the clutch plates. How do I know? I am on my second M109. Both have been 07s and identical bikes right down to the mods. Had 13K on the first one when it met an untimely end. The one I have now has 22K on it. Had shudder on the first and had it on the second until I modded the clutch basket push rod (grind 1/8" flats on three side) to allow oil to flow from the sump into the clutch basket. The 109 has tons of torque. That's what us old guys love. The kid in me likes the HP of the Busa. Wife says I'll never grow up. Don't know if I'll ever get rid of the 109. Do plan on getting a Wing in a year or 2 so the wife can come along on some of my longer rides. The Busa and the 109 are not known to be 2 up rides.

Mine never did the clutch chatter, but my friends 07 le does it so bad its scary, I took it out about a month ago and damn near would have rather walked, shook the entire bike like a jack hammer, more gas, less gas, more clutch less clutch did not matter at all, really ridiculous. 100 percent stock.

Had another friend eat up 2 clutch cables.

Mine would puke oil out the air box

:thumbsup:

I love the 109...

I like this better...

111212middle4-730x377.jpg

Mine would puke oil out the air box

Mine did this too. You had to be unbelievably accurate with the whole oil change process in order for it not to happen. It was ridiculous. But if I followed the "instructions" to a tee, it'd never leak.

I like this if I were to go back to a cruiser and didn't want a Street Glide....

There are quite a few guys leaving the 109 community leaving for that. Think I need to ride one.
My first 9 puked after the first oil change. Dealer did that one of course. That was the last time anyone touched either of my bikes. As far as the BOSS 109. proof that the manufacturer watchs activity on forums

Last edited by a moderator:
My only problem with Japaneses tourers other than the Gold Wing is all the accessories look like they are tacked on and not integrally designed to the bike. Harley does a better job of this on the electra glide but the fairings around the bottom front of the bike need work. Of course the Wing is the gold standard however, at 6'4" and my wife being 5'8" there is just too much of us and not enough space in the passenger area. My knees are about 1/2 inch from the buttons in the cockpit area and she feels like she's sitting on top of me. Harley Tourers have lots of room all around. I swear if there were 2 inches more between the trunk and tank the Wing would be the choice.

Test rides are in order!

I swear if there were 2 inches more between the trunk and tank the Wing would be the choice.

Test rides are in order!

I know for sure with Harleys you can get custom pieces to move the topcase forward or back, I'm certain the aftermarket has done the same for the Goldwing.

Now for the B.O.S.S. edition 109, my issue with it is that B.O.S.S. stands for Blacked Out Suzuki Special, so what's with the fluorescent yellow? :banghead:

these problems could very well be how the owner treats his bike? I suppose but it scares me to death thinking about having to fix the problems if they do happen when they are this major and such low miles and with my friend who works at the stealer saying they have atleast two in the shop needing warranty work on trans that have been waiting for sazuki to honor and several others here and there with normal things needing fixed that there are just to many in the shop over the years over other brands needing fixed to recomend one. then the owner is responsible for the tear down cost IF the warr is or is not honored.not to mention a long time waiting in the shop as well:banghead:. I was looking at the 109 vmax and raider really nice bike by the way rode all and all are worthy. hard to choose had one shot. nothing quite fit like the busa glad i bought it hope it treats me like i treat it lol. the 109r is a arm wrenching awesome looking bike and would have probably been in my garage if i diddnt hear so much negative stuff. will waight a few years and see how the newer 109s hold up and then maybe give it another look. thanks for your reply its nice to have others point of view try to help decide what to buy you never really know about a bike until you own it no matter what you hear i guess. anyway im glad that you and so many others are here to share there thoughts:thumbsup: now if i could just find another busa rider:please:feel kindof weird riding with all my cruser buddys maybe i can corrupt them tnto traiding those in for busas.

I'm still a VERY firm believer that the clutch/trans problems are rider related. Most people that complain of the clunky trans haven't ridden a cruiser before, and most people that complain of the clutch shutter have never ridden a BIG twin. These bikes aren't Honda CBR's, they are quirky, POWERFUL V-twins. You can't compare how they run/behave to how a sportbike or a standard behaves.

Have to agree.

The 109 tranny had a definite clunk between 1st and 2nd gears. It took some getting used to and it amounted to you had to shift with purpose between 1st and 2nd. But I never had any troubles whatsoever with the bike. The ones having failures were the ones that also showed the pictures of black tire stripes from those 280 wide tires.

I don't think the trannys were built to be treated to more power and the mile wide tires.

Back