New helmet, Shoei Neotec or HJC RPHA 90?

Kjelle Sweden

Registered
As the title says, which helmet should I go for when I retire my old Shoei Raid: Shoei Neotec or HJC RPHA 90? I have tried both on, both are very comfy, but how are they when riding? Noise level? Thanks for advice.

I have the neotec 2 with built in Bluetooth.
Good points: awesome fit, great visor, very stable, and quiet for me. Even better with a neck sock.
Bad points: it's heavy, about 1750g in Large size.
After about 500ks my neck starts to ache and headache is not far behind. I've now worked out that a hot shower, and a couple pain killers works a treat.
I'm about to retire it for a lighter non modular

I have a Neotec 2 also. Love it, a great touring helmet. You can't take it on a track though. I don't have a problem with the weight, ridden with it on all day on a couple trips and no issues. You do get some fogging when stopped in the colder weather but a quick open and it's clear. Very quiet helmet too. The flip up front is a bit wide at the chin area so some have issues looking down like at the instruments so be sure to try it while sitting on the bike. I don't have any problems myself, and basically love this helmet.

You do give up some ultimate protection with a modular helmet but the gain in comfort is well worth it. If you ride with it on a hot day you will never go back to full faced helmets. It's also cool to not have to bring 2 shields along for when you are out into the dark.

As the title says, which helmet should I go for when I retire my old Shoei Raid: Shoei Neotec or HJC RPHA 90? I have tried both on, both are very comfy, but how are they when riding? Noise level? Thanks for advice.
I own the hjc. Amazing helmet. Very quiet...I believe it's one of the most quiet flip up helmets on the market.
It's really light. Completely waterproof. Has very good vents. I have a sena Bluetooth headset and it works well even at higher speeds.
Has a built in sunvisor- and you get a fog free double visor with it as well.(and it's really 100 percent fog free, always).
And compared to a shoei or schuberth it is much cheaper for the same quality ( in my opinion).

Overall Best helmet I ever owned.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

I’ve used my buddy’s neotec while waiting for my gt-air. I honestly couldn’t tell a difference between the two aside from the flip up feature which is great. But I prefer the solid design.
that said, the neotec was comfy for all day riding the noise level was negligible compared to others.

I don't have either but somehow ended up with 2 HJC Cl17 helmets because I liked the airbrushing/design. They are loud with wind and feel heavy. I started wearing a Speed/Strength helmet and it feels 10x nicer. Is there an option for you to try both in person? I'm sure the HJC you are looking at is better since it comes with a higher price tag but my CL17's kind of turned me off to HJC.

I had a CL17 and it was OK....not great but I didn't pay a fortune for it either. My RPHA 70ST is OK...nothing really special but OK...

I had Shoei helmets before and they were good too..if you are used to a particular brand and like how it worked for you, then I say stick with it.

I never had an rpha 90 but I have rpha11s.I think the visor lock tab is shared between the 90 and the 11.And that’s the problem.They keep cracking the visor.The tab is drilled onto the plastic visor.After a few(doesn’t take a whole lot) ‘opening and closings’ of the visor it cracks around the lock tab.My visor flew up at speed a few months back as the lock tab blew off in the oncoming wind on the motorway.Shoei have been bullet proof for me.You can’t go wrong with Shoei,they’re worth the extra few coins.X-lite are tops too IMO.

HJC won the contest. Price matters after all.

DSC_1263.JPG

Had both . HJC was the better of the two for us . Sold the shoei after 1st couple of rides .
Bryan the HJCs are nice helmets.They have nice graphics.They pay for the monster logo which i like.
They are comfortable.But after a few cracks in the visor around the lock tab it broke off one day on the motorway when turning my head giving a life saver(look over the shoulder for blind spot) and my visor blew open and I almost crashed my Honda(now gone for Buza;)).
The visors are the issue here.If I crashed would I have had a case to take HJC to court?

Bryan the HJCs are nice helmets.They have nice graphics.They pay for the monster logo which i like.
They are comfortable.But after a few cracks in the visor around the lock tab it broke off one day on the motorway when turning my head giving a life saver(look over the shoulder for blind spot) and my visor blew open and I almost crashed my Honda(now gone for Buza;)).
The visors are the issue here.If I crashed would I have had a case to take HJC to court?
Mine's a 70ST so I have the drop visor as well....at least if my main visor were to rip away, I have the back up...

Mine's a 70ST so I have the drop visor as well....at least if my main visor were to rip away, I have the back up...
And hopefully that never happens.I got a few replacements after sending pics of cracks to the UK importer which was good but it shouldn’t be happening in the first place.
If a person only had one helmet there’s the potential for ‘downtime’ in the warm season(not all of us live in sunny year round places) which would be shitty all because of a badly designed visor system.
You live and learn.I’ll never buy a visor with a lock tab drilled onto it again.Any holes in a plastic visor isn’t a good idea especially when there is ‘stress’ on those holes with a screwed in lock mechanism.

Back