New header and tune

Johnny Bravo

Registered
I took the bike to Smither's Customs in Olathe, KS last week to install a header and dyno tune the bike. Just picked it up yesterday.

The before is bone stock with just M4 slip ons.

The after is with the Vance & Hines 4-2 header, ECU edit and power commander 5.

I also run a 200 Shinko 003 on the rear, which apparently is a known power robber on the dyno. But I wasn't looking for bragging rights. I was looking to see what I could gain with a header and tune. In addition to the extra power, the bike feels much more responsive...more "snappy", if you will. No dead spots in the rpm band, just nice and smooth.

While it was there, Steve also changed the plugs, flushed the radiator and changed the coolant, cleaned, waxed and adjusted the chain, and replaced the air filter with a new stock one. It feels like a new bike (even though it has 12,000 miles on it).

Total gain: 11 hp/4 lb ft tq. I thought that was pretty decent for a generic header and keeping the dual pipes.

078.jpg

Good deal. These bikes are so awesome, and then to have someone make them even better :thumbsup:

How much is the VH header? And will my yosh cans work on it? I want to keep the dual look also. I have a pc3 also.

Think those headers run about $340.

And some dyno operators don't know how to use the ecu editor to the fullest. Some like how the PC is easier on bike during the dyno tunes. All the tuners preference.

It was back around November that I found it for around that. I had just emailed someone from eBay that was selling other V&H products and that was price he quoted. Now the product was out of stock for awhile and I don't have the email anymore. Sorry couldn't be of more help.

I run a Vance and Hines header on my bike with Leo Vince slip ons ( had Yoshimura R-77 before but wanted shorter cans and had the Leo Vince cans ceramic coated and blacked out ).

The bike was dyno tuned last Tuesday with a dying rear wheel bearing that probably robbed some power. Results 180 horsepower and 105 lbs torque. Combined ECUnleashed Flash and fuel tuning with Power Commander 5. Fuel economy now 40 mpg ( US gallon ).

Highly recommend Nels at 2wheeldynoworks.com. I have no idea what the bike would have done bone stock. If I had it to do over again I would go 4 into 1. I am really impressed with the look of the Yoshimura R-55 system

That seems kinda low to me on the torque as I thought it would make more torque than a 4-1 setup. HP I could see it lower but have you seen what a gen 2 will do on that dyno with a 4-1 to compare things?

Dyno numbers can vary quite a bit from location to location - east coast versus west coast etc. Dynos themselves can rate high or low. Does not really matter. What you are looking for is nice smooth power, nice looking power curves without any ragged spikes or dips and consistent appropriate air/fuel ratios.

Same bike on a different dyno could give different results.Nels at 2wheldynoworks figured he cold get another 5 h.p out of my bike. That was before we discovered a failing rear wheel bearing. Got the bearing done at a different and did not get back to the dyno for the last search for the next 5 horsepower or so. I am very happy with the bike as it stands and doubt that I would go back to the dyno unless I am passing that way again. It is a 5 hour one way ride to get me to 2wheeldynoworks . I have no idea of what the difference might be with a 4 into 1 versus a 4 into 2 setup.

True & I want the dual setup & peak HP doesn't matter as much to me at this time in life. I like the dual can look though.

Back