New guy with an Altitude problem

DC in CA

Registered
Hey guys,  been lurking and reading for awhile but now I have questions that need answered.  I've had my 06 Blue / Silver for about 9 months now and have done a few things to it. Carbon Yoshi bolt ons, Undertail, TRE   ( not sold on the TRE yet), dogbones (can only drop 1.5 inches due to clearance).  I usually ride the twisties being from So Cal but have decided to start drag racing since being here in Wyoming and soon to be in Maryland.   Anyway,  I spent last weekend at Bandimere Speedway (Home of the Mile High Nationals) in Denver watching, learning and asking questions.

Here's a few questions I didn't get around to asking.

1.  Does altitude (Bandimere is at 5880 ft elevation) result in slower or faster Et's and speed?  Having watched quite a bit of drag racing, I thought the times and speeds were kind of slow.

2.  NHRA rules state that full leathers are required if speed is over 120MPH.  How soon before I need leathers?  That dosen't seem that fast or hard to attain.

3.  Has anyone here done bracket racing with their Busa?

I have learned quite a bit from you guys and look forward to learning more.

By the way, I'm 48 years old and my normal ride is a Goldwing, on which I have logged an 8.24 on an 1/8 mile strip.

dont have those answers but i can offer you a
post-52-02136-welcome.gif
and they will have the answers

I love riding the twisties but I've been here in Cheyenne, Wy for 5 months and the only twistie here is the on / off ramp to the freeway. I'll be leaving for Maryland next month and it's not alot better.

1) Higher ET and Slower MPH you can figure about 1% per 1000 foot on both mph and ET and be pretty close.

2) You will need full leathers your first pass if you are running 1/4 mile. You should be 120 or so by the 1000' mark, dependnig on your weight. Start searching for a set of used leathers. You can find them for 150-250 pretty easy. Much cheaper than skin grafts.

3) Yep.... Take look at the 1/4 mile section. Quite a few theads in there.

Around here there about as many busa bracket racers as all the other bikes combined.

(DC in CA @ Oct. 02 2006,17:42) Hey guys,  been lurking and reading for awhile but now I have questions that need answered.  I've had my 06 Blue / Silver for about 9 months now and have done a few things to it. Carbon Yoshi bolt ons, Undertail, TRE   ( not sold on the TRE yet), dogbones (can only drop 1.5 inches due to clearance).  I usually ride the twisties being from So Cal but have decided to start drag racing since being here in Wyoming and soon to be in Maryland.   Anyway,  I spent last weekend at Bandimere Speedway (Home of the Mile High Nationals) in Denver watching, learning and asking questions.

Here's a few questions I didn't get around to asking.

1.  Does altitude (Bandimere is at 5880 ft elevation) result in slower or faster Et's and speed?  Having watched quite a bit of drag racing, I thought the times and speeds were kind of slow.

2.  NHRA rules state that full leathers are required if speed is over 120MPH.  How soon before I need leathers?  That dosen't seem that fast or hard to attain.

3.  Has anyone here done bracket racing with their Busa?

I have learned quite a bit from you guys and look forward to learning more.

By the way, I'm 48 years old and my normal ride is a Goldwing, on which I have logged an 8.24 on an 1/8 mile strip.
At my altitude (5000 ft) I'm losing 25-27 hp off my stock rwhp, (3% for every 1000 feet).......and the bike feels like a dog compared to sea level. You're gonna come to hate high elevations after you ride there for awhile. The good thing is that everybody loses hp, so you won't be alone.

Good info guys.  According to the scale, punching in this mornings numbers, I'm at 79.3% of RWHP

That's quite an impact.  No wonder the times and speed seemed a little slow.

So at 6000 ft elevation, a sea level ET of 11.5 and 120 - 125 mph would calculate out to approximatley 12.22 and 113 - 118 mph.  Sound right?

(sageronin @ Oct. 03 2006,05:58) Welcome to the board and where in Maryland will you be?
We are planning on living in the Chesapeake Beach / North Beach area.  We should find out for sure NLT October 20th.  I believe that's pretty close to Maryland International Raceway.

(DC in CA @ Oct. 03 2006,06:50)
Good info guys.  According to the scale, punching in this mornings numbers, I'm at 79.3% of RWHP

That's quite an impact.  No wonder the times and speed seemed a little slow.

So at 6000 ft elevation, a sea level ET of 11.5 and 120 - 125 mph would calculate out to approximatley 12.22 and 113 - 118 mph.  Sound right?
Your sea level mph on the 1/4 is low, you should be around 135-140 for a base.

Back