New Guy here...

Aughtsix

Registered
And the question is: How much of a pain is it to buy and import a new bike from Canada?

I REALLY want one of the '03 Limited Editions... :drool:

Steve

So far the word I have got is you just have to switch the gauges from KPH to MPH... supposed to be inexpensive. I just bought a Canadian model because of this exact reason.

Oh yeah,

Welcome to the board! :D

Did you have to do any emissions conversion or anything? I thought that Canadian bikes had different smog equipment, or settings, or something?

I did a search but couldn't find any particulars about importing them - just that folks seem to be buying them through ebay. Not too fond of ebay myself...

What paperwork, or process, did you have to go through??

Thanks,

Steve

I have not gone through the process yet. Read on the side of your exhaust, it gives you info there. I am at work, or I would get you some more info. Several folks on this board have bought the 03 Canadian model, and have had no problems getting them legally registered in the USA.

The smog Q...as far as I know...Busa's are the same the world over....'cept maybe for Califonia,U.S.A. and even then I dont think there's any difference . The odd time bikes will ship with different tires to the US an Can . I think thats about it thou.

welcome to the board. Like BusaFever said there have been a number of members that have done this so you should get some answers soon.

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner but I am out of town (ATL)!

I bought mine from Forest Farm Equip. in Ontario(Jun 03) and agreed on $9,100 OTD but ended up paying $9,016 with the better exchange rate.  

I was told by Suzuki that nothing is different from the US/Canada bikes except the paint schemes and gauge cluster.  You will have to either buy/find a MPH gauge or cluster depending what you want to do?  

Your options are to (1)change the gauge and keep the stock cluster but.....the odometer will still read in KPH (on the trip meter window).  (2)I was going to buy a used cluster (220 MPH) and have the odometer adjusted to display correct miles but I haven't found anyone that can do it on the Hayabusa.  (3)If you plan to buy a NEW cluster they are around $500 and not worth it.

As far as importing it:

I just drove it across in the back of a truck.  If they don't say anything just keep going.  If they ask if you bought anything you will have to go inside the customs office.  I told them I bought a bike, they stamped the invoice and let me go on my way.  Didn't pay a cent!

Once your across the boarder, your home free!

The 03 Special Edition is just MEAN looking!  :super:

Let me know if you have any more questions?  I'll be home on Tues. if you need some pics.

Later,

Josh

Just remember you still probably have to pay Taxes on it when you get back, plus the normal license and registration costs...Still should be a good way to save a little money.

Forgot about that.....for you other guys!

YES, you will have to pay tax/title/tag in your state but since he lives in Oregon, they don't have SALES TAX! That's what I did, Oregon tag for me = NO TAX.

:)

Oh superb !! Thanks guys.

Since I don't really like the '04 colors I'm "stuck" between buying the U.S. version 40th Anniversary or the Canadian version Limited Edition. A friend of mine who's seen the 40th up close and personal says it's actually a gorgeous bike - looks like a new penny in color and it just glows in the sunlight. I like both, but that darn black bike calls to me.

And it's true, Oregon DMV isn't known for their sharpness. Guys over here license dirt bikes as 'dual sport' bikes. Add to this all the retirements caused by the PERS debacle leaving inexperienced people manning the ship, and the budget crisis freezing hiring and wages - well let's just say I wouldn't expect a problem with the licensing.

For those of you who've already gone with the Canadian bike, what have you heard about warranty issues and such? Will your friendly neighborhood Suzuki dealer perform warranty work on it should the need arise?? Or will he tell you to haul your buttocks back up across the border and have it done there...

In reading the forum I don't see very many issues on the later model Busa requiring warranty work, so hopefully it wouldn't be an issue but still, I have to ask.

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome and the help. I'll just keep reading and learning.

Steve

Steve,

You should have no problem with warranty work for a Canadian bike. The dealer might not even know the difference unless you tell him. If they do start giving you crap, a quick call to a Suzuki Rep. should fix any issues you may have.

Let us know how things work out and some pics once you decide on a color to bring home.

Later,

Josh

Okay guys - Does anybody know of any Suzuki dealers in Western Canada (say, Vancouver to Kelowna or so) that may have an '03 Limited Edition?

I'd like to find a dealer close enough that I can drive up and pick up the bike. I can and will do a search for dealers through the Suzuki site, but if anyone knows off the top of their head who might have one it would certainly cut to the chase, or at the very least narrow down the search. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Aug,
you should go to Woodburn on saturday and see me and my buddies race our busas!!!   :D
Hey ! I was there for the Fall Funny Car Classic (man did that suck) and there was one Busa racing - or should I say running away from the pack (9.4's or 9.5's as I recall), and no wheelie bar. I don't know whose it is, but if you were racing it had to have been you... :cool: I know I know, my powers of deduction are astounding...

Steve

that was Buzzard...
I missed that race, but will be ther on Saturday, blue/black '02 busa.

see you there??

Hey !  I was there for the Fall Funny Car Classic (man did that suck) and there was one Busa racing - or should I say running away from the pack (9.4's or 9.5's as I recall), and no wheelie bar.  I don't know whose it is, but if you were racing it had to have been you...   :cool:  I know I know, my powers of deduction are astounding...

Steve
why did it suck?

Back