New GoPro video camera.

CCbusa05

Donating Member
Registered
I'm loving my new GoPro video camera (Costco:$100). OK, question for you guys.
I have two choices, helmet mount OR tank mount. Using the supplied mount base and/or extension, what do you think would be the best mounting location? Is there a lot of distortion through the STOCK windscreen? Does your head bounce around too much for the helmet option?
Thanks in advance for any of you that have the GoPro mounted in either of these two positions.
(I tested it out in the wife's car by just holding it tightly to the dash for a 5 minute test run.......works great, good resolution!)

Jimbo

Don't have one, but my guess is that looking thru the windshield is going to be very distorted from
down at that level and that's even at best with a clear one.
I would think the helmet mount would be the best. Actually if I had one, I think I would prefer
the chest mount, but obviously you don't have that..!!
Try em out and see how they work. Nothing like a little experimentation. We'd all love
to see how they look..!!

Old school GoPro Hero Wide, suction cup mounted on the tank, shooting through the screen..

[/MEDIA]

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about a helmet mount at speed. Is your windscreen clear? Give a shot and post up the video. Trial and error is really the only way. I want to have a couple more options myself. Right now, I have the suction cup mount and the rear mount. I want try out a few more in Eureka next week.

Only problem with shooting from helmet is how hard you move your head around.

I've got a helmet mount on my skydiving helmet, and I have to take that into consideration when flying, or all you get is back-forth-back-forth and gets distracting.

Best mount is on your bike. Several (including me) have mounts in other locations than on the tank which provide great shots. Do a search for GoPro and you will find lots of stills/videos for examples.

Where I've been recording with the HD from..

CameraMount004.jpg

'Nother angle..

CameraMount005.jpg

I just added another sticky mount on the left side just behind the front turn signal. I came out this morning and found it laying in the garage floor. :poke: Soooo, I cleaned the area again and installed another new sticky mount, I hope this one holds. I got the back one solid, had to shim the quick release buckles with paper, solid as a rock now. :cheerleader:

Pashnit is the gopro mount king!

Here's the latest from Friday. :laugh: :cheerleader:

See the GoPro? This setup was only partially successful as I kept dragging the arm on the pavement when I transitioned into the rights.

img_5323_busa_800.jpg

img_5323_busa_800.jpg

Tim, do you sell those arms you make? I would like to have a 6 or 8 inch arm that will accept the Ram Mount 1" ball.

Just off the shelf RAM items. Lot of trial & error to see what would work. I like the long arms the best as the camera gets a better vantage point of the rider and road. Problem is the torsional stress on the ball mounts as the weight of the arm goes up. Still muddling over how to fix that.

RAM is 6000 part numbers so we've opted not to sell them. You can purchase them at ExpressMounts.com

Part number list for my 12" arm is as follows:

RAM-PF-585-6: RAM 6" Flex Arm with 1/4" NPT Ends
RAM-B-218-1: RAM Single Ball with 1/4" NPT Hole
RAM-B-200-1: RAM Single Ball Socket Arm for 1" Balls
RAM-B-201: RAM Double Socket Arm for 1" Balls
RAM-B-202: RAM 2 1/2 Diameter Base with 1" Ball
RAM-B-252U: RAM .87x2.25 with 11 mm Hole & 1" Ball
RAM-B-272U: RAM Base with 9 mm Hole and1" Ball

Back