New Goldwings

I am totally impressed by the honesty displayed in your personal evaluation of the BMW you experienced. I had no idea the basic engineering was so flawed from the start and it couldn't be remedied in some way by BMW.

As far as triple digit cruising goes... I wish you lived close by. I would happily let you take out my 1400 for a triple digit cruise to see how easily it accomplishes that aspect of comfortable cruising. According to some people the stock Concours is capable of a 173 mph top speed. If a 1400 owner contacted Steve at Shouldabeen engineering and got one of his optimized flash tunes, added a ZX-14 hi performance exhaust the top speed would likely increase a bit. Some Concours owners claim as much as 165 hp at the rear wheel when the proper mods and tuning are in place. I think high 10s might be possible for the skilled rider that doesn't weigh nearly as much as some of us here. I have heard a Concours owner turned an 11.09 1/4 mile at the track in Fontana a while back here in Socal... but I wasn't there to see it.
Thanks and I am not a BMW hater. I now own the 1250 GS and it's the very best bike I have ever owned. Absolutely love it. The Concours is a great bike. I wish Kawasaki would have looked into making that platform Euro5 compliant because the motorcycling community is really going to be missing a great bike.

BMW guys never admit they are wrong but I'm a Suzuki guy, just happen to have wandered off the farm a bit, haha.

200.gif

The tried and true evolution of the Boxer motor isn't lost on me... I have ridden one of them too and they handle great. The only downside for me on the 1400 is the maneuvering that happens when you are still using your feet to position yourself. As soon as you are moving the handling improves in leaps and bounds. Part of that is due to knowing how to ride to begin with. Even after 50 years of riding I am still picking up on little tips that improve low speed handing that make it fun to get though traffic.

Most won't agree with me on this... the handling of the Concours rivals my old Busa. When driving the same roads the difference is negligible and the Concours is less work... but, they are also fitted with the same size tires... so... a little change in weight and wheelbase are perhaps the determining factors that make the ride what it is.

I stopped in at Temecula Motorsports the other day and two new 2022 ZX-14s were priced at 14K and sitting next to a new 2022 Busa priced at about 21K. My thought was... what did it cost to build either one? The disparity is price is substantial.

A newer model does not always mean better a better product for the end user. As one example... I have noticed that when GM finally gets it right they usually quit making it. lol ! I still want an LS equipped F Body Firebird from around the year 2000 even though I have owned C4 ZR-1 Corvettes for over 20 years.

I visited a local multi brand dealer where I bought my Z and saw three of these, one was used. Pretty grey. Three though? Is something wrong with them? No Hayabusas, new or used. What was funny was that there were a couple dozen used Harleys for sale, one was over 30K. The two seater Slingshot with three wheels and a steering wheel was almost 40K. A/C and a heater maybe?:laugh: The heads on the 1800 BMW were HUGE!
6FC5BDB0-5399-4837-AF05-AA2B77206360.jpeg
C2A76F2C-4348-49BB-942A-E1B730558658.jpeg
F73D5F94-D382-4B3B-AC0A-BE806AF1257A.jpeg
9A96E32A-1417-4857-A268-DAF464067DE7.jpeg
7B64B9C9-D395-460D-8983-D330FF0C00A4.jpeg
07BA5F79-F66B-4BF5-A0BB-873123939C41.jpeg
08F52AC5-3CA5-45E5-B93A-1787627AEB3F.jpeg
L
BAD24BCD-7A7A-4841-A2B7-361DB60E8F56.jpeg
1D64E5A7-6CB0-41F4-86C8-5CE456C1A54A.jpeg
518EE053-AF48-41A0-8AB7-76197A4E3981.jpeg

The tried and true evolution of the Boxer motor isn't lost on me... I have ridden one of them too and they handle great. The only downside for me on the 1400 is the maneuvering that happens when you are still using your feet to position yourself. As soon as you are moving the handling improves in leaps and bounds. Part of that is due to knowing how to ride to begin with. Even after 50 years of riding I am still picking up on little tips that improve low speed handing that make it fun to get though traffic.

Most won't agree with me on this... the handling of the Concours rivals my old Busa. When driving the same roads the difference is negligible and the Concours is less work... but, they are also fitted with the same size tires... so... a little change in weight and wheelbase are perhaps the determining factors that make the ride what it is.

I stopped in at Temecula Motorsports the other day and two new 2022 ZX-14s were priced at 14K and sitting next to a new 2022 Busa priced at about 21K. My thought was... what did it cost to build either one? The disparity is price is substantial.

A newer model does not always mean better a better product for the end user. As one example... I have noticed that when GM finally gets it right they usually quit making it. lol ! I still want an LS equipped F Body Firebird from around the year 2000 even though I have owned C4 ZR-1 Corvettes for over 20 years.
I talked to a friend of mine who owns a bike shop yesterday he had Suzuki and Kawasaki before they pulled out leaving him with Honda...

He said a Hayabusa would eat a Concours anywhere, anytime without working up a sweat...He's rode them all and has a racing background....he said there is no contest between the two....at all....

He has a couple new Gold Wings in the shop now and said they are stellar tour bikes and are the top tier in their field. They have around 126 ft/lb of torque which is plenty to get the thing moving and keep it moving...these bikes are geared towards a very specific rider and are very popular for a reason (as we know). He had an older (80's) 'Wing come in with 400,000kms on it for basic maintenance and it ran as smooth as anything on the floor, they are reliable and capable without the drama.

I asked him about the BMWs and although he gets them in for basic maintenance, he doesn't get any information from BMW regarding any TSBs, he said his techs hate the new BMWs as they are so complicated to do anything with and require more maintenance-none of them would buy one.

He said Kawasaki has bet the farm on their H2 line and it's not doing well, Suzuki has re-hashed the old GSXR to make the GSX1KGT....it might pan out for them if they keep the cost down, Honda only kept the Gold Wind and dropped the solid ST line and BMW has kept all their lines and are trudging forward but are losing loyal riders...many are going to the Gold Wing.

HD is HD, he said they have made many lemons over the years but their customer base is so loyal (brain washed was the word he used) they will always buy them.

I think the Concours is a de-tuned ZX-14 so yes it can't compare to a BUsa. But the ZX-14 is a very close comparison to a Busa, maybe just down to the riding position (ask @ROADTOAD1340 ). I didn't see the H2 like making it but maybe when Euro6 hits we'll see the wisdom of going to smaller displacement and supercharged.
Of course the ZX14R is close to a Hayabusa, it is (was) the direct competition...a Concours isn't (690lbs)...it's competition was the ST1300 and FJR1300...and of course the Beemers...I've been told the FJR was a stellar bike.

That being said, I've always like the Concours...the gen 1 was a great bike and was around forever basically unchanged.....

The new Wings are just so sweet! I have a 2018 DCT Tour I bought a little over 2 years ago and have only put 15,000 miles on it so far...I'm hoping to have it 'broke-in' maybe the next 5 years.

I just made an addition to the 'family' with a new 2022 Hayabusa- I think this will be excellent compliment to the Goldwing...or maybe this forum would say the Wing is a nice addition to the Busa!!

I talked to a friend of mine who owns a bike shop yesterday he had Suzuki and Kawasaki before they pulled out leaving him with Honda...

He said a Hayabusa would eat a Concours anywhere, anytime without working up a sweat...He's rode them all and has a racing background....he said there is no contest between the two....at all....

He has a couple new Gold Wings in the shop now and said they are stellar tour bikes and are the top tier in their field. They have around 126 ft/lb of torque which is plenty to get the thing moving and keep it moving...these bikes are geared towards a very specific rider and are very popular for a reason (as we know). He had an older (80's) 'Wing come in with 400,000kms on it for basic maintenance and it ran as smooth as anything on the floor, they are reliable and capable without the drama.

I asked him about the BMWs and although he gets them in for basic maintenance, he doesn't get any information from BMW regarding any TSBs, he said his techs hate the new BMWs as they are so complicated to do anything with and require more maintenance-none of them would buy one.

He said Kawasaki has bet the farm on their H2 line and it's not doing well, Suzuki has re-hashed the old GSXR to make the GSX1KGT....it might pan out for them if they keep the cost down, Honda only kept the Gold Wind and dropped the solid ST line and BMW has kept all their lines and are trudging forward but are losing loyal riders...many are going to the Gold Wing.

HD is HD, he said they have made many lemons over the years but their customer base is so loyal (brain washed was the word he used) they will always buy them.
No doubt a detuned ZX-14 motor isn't going to run with a Busa motor be it a Gen 1, 2 or 3. However, I find it easier to go fast in the twisties with the Connie... I am not saying it's faster in the twisties, just easier to drive it hard. Once you are dragging the pegs on the street their really is no point in trying to go any faster anyway.
I have about 9 years of Hayabusa Gen 1 driving experience and have worn out my share of tires.

As far as BMW goes... I have only owned one and it was a flip... it was an old inline 4 cylinder from around 1995 or 6. Full fairing and bags, shaft drive and 1100 or 1000 cc if I recall correctly.

Goldwings? Awesome motorcycles and ahead of their time from the start. I almost bought a 1984 standard ( no bags or fairing ) one time but opted for the V65 Sabre and ended up having 2 of them ( one at a time ) for substantial periods of time. I bought a 3rd V65 about 7 or 8 years ago and after owning a 1990 ZX-11 decided that antiquated frame and brake systems from the 80s just didn't cut it anymore.
I am sure I would be impressed if I were to get to drive a new Goldwing... Honda is a superb engineering company.

HD... I admire the companies success and market share. I have a $10 entry for charity placed for a real nice 2009 HD that is all chromed up... it feels like I just might win it! What would I do with a HD? I would go to the tattoo shop and get brand new tats so I could fit in with the HD crowd! lol ! Just kidding... I would drive it a little then sell it or trade it for something I really wanted.

The appeal of the antiquated engine design isn't lost on me either... the vibrations running through this engine design ensures that Locktite thread adhesive will always be a money maker. I have heard some of the women like HD too for reasons to intimate to mention here. The Hells Angels bad biker image still lives within the brand and that keeps the need to feed image seekers alive... aka... for the vanity types a brand they can covet for their exterior identity needs.
I still haven't bought a HD... and probably never will... I have rode plenty of them as my buddy buys and sells them occasionally... so... I am grateful for the experience... I know what I am missing! lol !

I like smooth, fast and powerful when it comes to motorcycles.... if a bigger CBX ever comes out I might consider one of those.

When are you going to test ride a 1400 Concours? Heres mine... I am biased I will admit... I still think it out performs and is better looking than the BMW or the Gold Wing.

View attachment 1649383
I’ve had 3 C14s and 2 K1600s. The concourse only partially outperforms the K. Roll one’s K easily wins. Low speed torque - K all
The way. High speeds wind management - K. Technology and suspension - K. Top speed? Toss up. 1/4 mile -edges to C14. I think handling is subjective but I preferred the handling and braking of the K.

Value = hands down C14.

I’ve had 3 C14s and 2 K1600s. The concourse only partially outperforms the K. Roll one’s K easily wins. Low speed torque - K all
The way. High speeds wind management - K. Technology and suspension - K. Top speed? Toss up. 1/4 mile -edges to C14. I think handling is subjective but I preferred the handling and braking of the K.

Value = hands down C14.
I have never ridden a K1600... so... I have no basis for comparison.

As far as roll on torque goes... tuning can impact that. I am amazed at the low end on my 14... I wonder how many times have I taken off in 2nd gear because I forgot to shift down one more time? It rips through the middle and doesn't back off at the top... so.... I wish you were here on a K16... it would be fun...

Compared to the Busa the gear ratios are definitely spread farther apart.

Braking? Maybe it has something to do with the brand of pad... I love the way mine stops now. I forgot what I put on there but I can smell them anytime I get on them hard.

I am ordering a new Valentine 1 soon... I do way too much triple digit stuff to not acquire another new generation Valentine product. The last one saved me may times from 2003 until 2020. It still worked but sold it anyway as the false signals were getting obnoxious. All of these laser systems out there for blind spot detection on newer cars is causing issues.

I own both bikes. In my opinion they are the best at there intended purpose. Nothing beats the Wing when it comes to smooth effortless cruising and reliability. The Busa to me, and I emphasize to ME as I understand others feel there is a better bike in this category is a masterpiece of machinery. Big powerful and can run with the best of them, reliable, tried and true platform a complete thrill ride that I won't live without. I am on my third BUSA, just can't let em go. My 54 y/o bones need the Wing for the long stretches though, such a sublime ride.
tempImage5C0WES.jpg
tempImage6Mjijx.jpg

I own both bikes. In my opinion they are the best at there intended purpose. Nothing beats the Wing when it comes to smooth effortless cruising and reliability. The Busa to me, and I emphasize to ME as I understand others feel there is a better bike in this category is a masterpiece of machinery. Big powerful and can run with the best of them, reliable, tried and true platform a complete thrill ride that I won't live without. I am on my third BUSA, just can't let em go. My 54 y/o bones need the Wing for the long stretches though, such a sublime ride.View attachment 1649475View attachment 1649481
That 'Wing sure makes that Busa look tiny..

Good looking bikes.

Back