New female rider

NO WAY ! the busa is not a good first bike . Would you buy a dragster for your First car? And being a women has nothing to do about it! Get a smaller bike to start one where if you hit a bump and it moves the throttle you won't end up in trouble. Then get a busa!

We love girl riders here and no offense but plz dont get a busa for your 1st bike. Like buying a Ferrari for a 15 yr old with a learners permit. Get a smaller bike and work your way up.

my 2centys - K
smile.gif

Whether male or female, I wouldn't recommend the 'busa to anyone as a first bike.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the board, take your time and learn on a smaller bike. Ride safe and take care.  
biggrin.gif

i always do not recomend picking up anything over a 500 to start on...the best relationships are the ones that start off slow

I've had my busa week now. I would NOT recommend it as a first bike.

I've ridden dirt bikes as a kid, and I had a cruiser when I was 20. Rode that for a year or so.

Then, 16 years later, I inherit my husband's 01 750 Katana, when he got a Busa. A bit heavy, but VERY forgiving. I made tons of mistakes on that bike, and only went down once. Rode it for 2 years. Finally decided I was bored with it and wanted my own Busa.

The weight is about the same, so that was a plus. But the power on the Busa STILL makes my eyes pop out of my skull.

I'm glad I started on the katana... a Busa as a first bike would've put me in the hospital.

I ride an 05 Busa and I absolutely love this bike; but I feel very strongly in telling you that it is not a beginner bike. I learned and practiced on a 250 Yamaha Virago for months and many miles. My husband and I practiced every night in our local parking lots with slow manuevers every night for months. I have been riding for 4 years now and have moved up in that time from a 250 to 750 to 1000 and then my present bike the Busa. I would never change how I started and learned and feel I am a very good,careful,observant rider. (My husband has ridden forever and tells me so!) so take your time. Move slowly and please take the MSF course and more importantly, practice,practice,practice. Anyone can ride straight and fast, but when you slow way down you need total control. Good luck and enjoy every minute of your adventure!

Welcome, I think they have said it best, start out with something smaller and work your way up to the big dawg...

Recommend smaller bike then moving up, easier and safer. You will drop a bike at least once, I guarantee it.

I agree with most. Don't buy a Cruiser. they have bad brakes and Handeling. the Small Rockets are not toys. but still are safer. Just don't twist the throttle like my son did on his VF650 ate him alive..Told him not too. Then after a year move up to the heavier 1000 the power and weight will start you learning curve all over again. After about 6000 miles go to the dealership and tell them you want a busa.....

Welcome to the org, but they all are right. Busa is not a bike for a newbie. I'm a man (but not very big) and I ride a lot twenty years ago (but smaller bikes). Next 15 years in cars and four years ago I made decision that I want ride a bike again. So I was going from one dealer to another to choose my bike. I remember from that time my impression about Busa. "How big and heavy is this bike, who can ride on it and so on ...". So I bought HONDA Hornet 600 (one year) next two years on HONDA VTR1000F Firestorm (in USA this is SUPERHAWK). Finally three weeks ago i take my Busa from dealer and now I know this is the bike
smile.gif
. So take your time and start on something smaller/cheaper/lighter. But finally, after get some experience, buy BUSA
biggrin.gif

...if you hit a bump and it moves the throttle you won't end up in trouble.
Sometimes just thinking about going faster makes my bike accelerate.

I can plant my feet flat on the ground but still find that i have to fight gravity. You will be suprised at the quantity of slippery chemicals on the ground that will "help" you lose footing and dump your bike.
sad.gif

I started out in dirt on bikes that weigh much less that gave me an excellent background in managing two wheels. By no means am I a pro but am thankful i had beaters to break "me" in.

Final word: welcome to the site. I hope you stick around and enjoy the personalities and "post the pics" when you make your decision.

A katana is a great first step to getting the busa eventually. It is a sizeable bike in weight about 50lbs lighter than the busa i believe. But it does not have the monster power of the busa.
I am relatively new to riding, just over a year now. I got the katana 600 as my first bike and rode it for a few months (learning alot about the basics of riding, turning and dealing with traffic situations) Then i found a deal on my busa that i couldn't pass up. A few more months on thr Katana would have been best but i had to pull the trigger, it was too good a deal to pass up. The first month on the busa was scary at times, but it will only go as fast as you make it, you just need to familiarize yourself with the power and respect it.
The most important thing for any new rider is to take the MSF class, it teaches you soooo much and gives you a good foundation to build on. Miles on a bike will do the rest. But i know i would have been in trouble if i hadn't owned the Katana first.

So i would suggest a different bike for a first bike
wink.gif
But you will feel better going into it if you have the confidence of handling another bike before jumping on the beast of busa.
biggrin.gif
Best of luck to you.

So, no replies from the new gal? Come on, I know you're logging in! Let us know your thoughts
smile.gif

Don't be shy!!! Step up
wink.gif

Welcome
smile.gif
........ alot of good advice on the preceeding thread.......sift through it and make your decision.....first and formost be safe and start with the safty course
wink.gif

Uuuh VaBusa you're right I am logging in and no I'm not shy.  I posted a question and you guys are replying.  All I have to do now is read the replies and decide whether or not I'm going to get the hayabusa.  I don't like post where you go back and forth with other members.  You listen to opinions and hope that they help you make the best decision for you.  

Thanks to all who have replied thus far and those that are planning on it.  

biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|Busaluvinqt
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146149227 -->

Hrmmm, well, there are so many opinions on the subject...I started on a brand spankin' new Harley and went down on it...after the MSF course and just 2500 miles behind me in experience, I opted for the Busa...it is a lot of bike for a beginner, and though I have no regrets on getting mine when I did, I can see where a new rider might drop it at least once before the learning curve kicks in...even a slow turn in a parking lot could cost you plenty in damages...

If you're a mature rider, willing to take your time to learn and not rush the process, you may do just fine...just be aware of how heavy the Busa is and that if it falls over, it'll be damaged to some extent...

I'm not one to deny new riders a choice in whatever they want, just educate yourself about what you're buying and take your time...the MSF class is a great start, and if you can even get your hands (and rear) on a bud's dirt bike or something, that will help you learn the controls more quickly.  You certainly want to be in complete control and aware of how to go, stop, change gears before you venture out on any bike...

Good luck in whatever your decision will ultimately be and just do what feels right FOR YOU.  We have a handful of female Busa riders on here (scootergirl, LadyHawk and myself are all that come to mind just this second) and I'm sure plenty of other Busa riders will help you with any questions you might have...

Welcome to the org!  
smile.gif
+1    well put michelle
Couldn't have put it any better myself... Welcome aboard!  
smile.gif
I would buy a smaller (less expensive bike first... It will get dropped we have all done it  
sad.gif
) good Luck and enjoy the ride!

Just wanted to add.. It is not a matter of size it is a matter of rider skills and maturity. You will find many posts on this issue and I think what you'll find is most people that own a Busa don't like to see young speed pumped kids getting a Busa as a first Ride. For that case even a "Small" 600 will kill this type of rider. What it comes down to is riding skills (time in the saddle, reading the road, other drivers (Cagers) and riders, etc, etc..) When I say you will drop it I mean when stopping with the front wheel turned and grabbing a handfull of front break type of drop (not high side at 50 or lowsiding the bike, although this happens to, just ask me LOL). Just keep in mind this is a heavy bike and expensive to repair when dropped. A less expensive bike (Used) will be less painfull when this happens. Hope this helps and have fun.. Don't be intimidated just be knowledgable and Mature!

Joe

<!--EDIT|Fugly
Reason for Edit: "I don't know... Just felt like it!"|1146151994 -->

smile.gif

Uuuh VaBusa you're right I am logging in and no I'm not shy.  I posted a question and you guys are replying.  All I have to do now is read the replies and decide whether or not I'm going to get the hayabusa.  I don't like post where you go back and forth with other members.  You listen to opinions and hope that they help you make the best decision for you.  

Thanks to all who have replied thus far and those that are planning on it.  

biggrin.gif
Hey, just don't want you to be lurking...join in! We don't mind the banter...how do you think I got all of my posts LOL

Remember, no matter what you decide to get, you can always lean on this board for advice, help, fun and useless banter...
smile.gif
Don't be a stranger...we're kind of low on females around here!
wink.gif

I think that you have all the advice you need already but whatever you decide welcome to the board. Good luck with your decicion.

Back