New exhaust install preps

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
Just getting her ready for the HMF Dual high mount system that is headed my way.

Don

naked1.jpg

Do yourself a favor and take yer radiator and oil cooler off.
Take them all the way off? I was hoping not to have to refill those two systems right now. But ok.

Don
Trust me on this one,I've done it 3 time,Once with the stuff on and 2 with it off,take em off,much more room,and be careful when your tightening the oil cooler line bolts,snug is good,they strip very easy.Check your other post,I put up a link for you.

i just taped a piece of cardboard to the back of my radiator to save my knuckles and radiator fins... had plenty of room to work in there and i didnt want to refill the water after all the problems i hear of people having getting air trapped in the system

Hmmmm. This post comes just in time, as I should be doing the same thing this next w/e. I have the Tsukigi Spec II already, just waiting for the PAIR block offs from S&T. Then I guess I'll have to do a pic by pic replay when its all done. So, til then, I am watching this thread like Hayabusa
smile.gif

I have decided to make my own block off plates. I have some thin aluminum that I am going to cut in the same shape as the pair valve flanges then drill holes in it. After I cut the tubes off the flanges, I am going to put them ontop of the aluminum plates and tighten it all back down. The studs are long enough to support this and there is no reason why it shouldn't work.

Don

I agree with nj, and I would also remove the front wheel also. Gives you plenty of clearance to do whatever is needed. The added work of removing the front wheel will definitely be a saviour for you. I'm assuming you are removing the pair valve also?
rock.gif
If so, go on and remove it. Although, you can do the job just like it is, it WILL be a knucklebuster, and if you're a religous guy, you will be asking the MAN upstairs for forgiveness for all your transgressions and foul language.
laugh.gif

I agree with nj, and I would also remove the front wheel also. Gives you plenty of clearance to do whatever is needed. The added work of removing the front wheel will definitely be a saviour for you. I'm assuming you are removing the pair valve also?
rock.gif
If so, go on and remove it. Although, you can do the job just like it is, it WILL be a knucklebuster, and if you're a religous guy, you will be asking the MAN upstairs for forgiveness for all your transgressions and foul language.
laugh.gif
I appreciate everyone's input about removing the radiator and the oil cooler; however, we removed the stock header today without damaging the fins on either heat exchanger and retained all the skin on our hands.

I can not believe that it is harder to mount 4 individual pipes in there than it was to get that header out.

It I am all screwed up, please let me know and why.

BTW we removed that with the bike on a rear stand only. The front tire was/is still sitting on the ground. The pair valve is already removed and the flanges have been modded to support "Hillbilly" block off plates.

Don

<!--EDIT|usn04limited
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156135435 -->

Don,

I've done a few both ways. Either way is fine, but taking off the radiator and oil cooler just gives you a little more room to work. Call me if you need some input, Im up all night - cant sleep.

did mine with it on. wasnt as bad as people make it out to be. just tape some cardboard on the rade as stated earlier.

along the same lines. I will be getting a muzzy full carbon fiber exhaust this week. WHAT else would be recomended to do while i am at it?
have NOT gotten the pcm III yet.
later
Michael

Back