new digital camera

adrenaline junkey

Donating Member
Registered
Thinking about a new digi cam for fathers day looked around walmart and best buy but seems all they want to do is sell ya is the one that costs the most. have around 300 to 350 to spend. would like good quality photos  not much more  what mega pixal ? and where to buy?

depends on what you're tryin to get outta your pics. I'd recommend a Canon S400...awesome cam. You really can't go wrong with a Canon.

You could try the Elph series...usually 4 MP's and above. Awesome shots....

Another recommendation is the Sony Cyber Shot. You could get the 4 MP or you could get the 5 MP. Both are pretty good...compact, light and have a ton of adjustment features.

The Cybershots usually run the gamut of $375 - $450.

Hope this helps...

depends on what you're tryin to get outta your pics. I'd recommend a Canon S400...awesome cam. You really can't go wrong with a Canon.

You could try the Elph series...usually 4 MP's and above. Awesome shots....

Another recommendation is the Sony Cyber Shot. You could get the 4 MP or you could get the 5 MP. Both are pretty good...compact, light and have a ton of adjustment features.

The Cybershots usually run the gamut of $375 - $450.

Hope this helps...
What Pacman said , Sony Cybershot .. on my 2nd , can't fault it. Using a V1 but the dsc series are very most excellent..ok ?

Some other things to consider are the size of the memory and does that camera come with any. The higher the resolution per picture the more memory is used on the card.
What type of zoom is used, telescoping mechanical or eletronic. Some cameras have a telescoping lens, others use eletronics to zoom.
I assume that he/you have a PC that the images will be downloaded to, if so, look and see what interface there is on the PC ... serial, USB1, USB2 etc. It is very Frustrating to have all these images on the camera and viewing them on a little 1.5 X 2 screen.

Nikon D-100 ...is a very complex camera!!! I wouldnot suggest it if your not an expert user....
Sony cybershot are a very easy to use camera with a wide range of features. I used the DSC-V3 ... 7.2 Megapixel
biggrin.gif

Nikon D-100
D-100 was discontinued... Perhaps you mean D-70??

The D2X would be nice, but it is a bit pricey.

I prefer my D-SLR the Canon Rebel XT (EOS-350D). It does 8.1 MP, and I prefer its functionality, size, and performance over the comparably priced Nikon's.

I added: two lenses (18-55mm and 55-200mm), a bogen tripod (with joystick head), and a 420EX hot shoe flash.

I use it for macro stuff, astrophotography, portraits, sports, etc... And, it works nicely for all of them.

-Rip

ID,

I agree with shavemaster PB about the Canon S400... However, I recommend the SD500... Bite the bullet and spend ~$400 and get a next-gen kick butt point-and-shoot bro!

See its review here:
www.dpreview.com

It is new technology in a nice small chassis.

-Rip

anything over 4mp is overkill for the average user. you can do posters with a 4mp camera and you will nvr need a 7mp camera. More importantly i would look at the zoom of a camera casue you can always up grade the memory. Then thing you want is a lot of optical zoom. Becasue this is going to keep your pics looking good. Also something with a nice lense. i've seen a 3 mp with a nice lense take better pics than a 5mp camera. Used to sell cameras at circuit city
wink.gif

anything over 4mp is overkill for the average user. you can do posters with a 4mp camera and you will nvr need a 7mp camera. More importantly i would look at the zoom of a camera casue you can always up grade the memory. Then thing you want is a lot of optical zoom. Becasue this is going to keep your pics looking good. Also something with a nice lense. i've seen a 3 mp with a nice lense take better pics than a 5mp camera. Used to sell cameras at circuit city
wink.gif
This is true, however, MP can make up for lack of optical zoom. You can take a 7MP pic and crop it bigtime without loosing the ability to print a photo. Works great fro macro stuff.

Definitely, no matter what you get, IMMEDIATELY turn off the digital zoom feature... It is CRAPOLA!

Another vote for Canon, I got an S50 about 18 months ago and I simply love it.

5 Megas is NICE... Its got tons of features, I started to go for an S500, but was afraid since I am a huge, clumsy, ogre that I might drop the lil bastid.
It was the best 400 bucks I ever spent man. Do some research, when I was researching to buy then, the SONY cybershot was my other choice. I ruled it out cuz it was more cash, and the pictures had more "digital noise" in them. In other words, the canon looks more like a 35mm, and the Sony looks a touch more like a digital picture.

Don't know if that is the same or not now, Sony may be better.
I wouldn't get anything other than Sony, Canon, or Nikon tho. All the others are just 2nd rate IMO.

Bill

I just picked up a Fuji Finepix E-500 from Newegg.com for $169. Also picked up a 256 meg card for it and it will take 250 + 4.3 megapixle photos on a card. It is compact enough to take along in your jacket pocket while riding and takes great photos. It is my second Fuji Finepix as I already had the S-602Z and they are both fantastic.

I use the Kodak.  Awesome pics.  The docking station kicks butt as far as ease of use goes.

Found this on Ebay, no nothing about the seller but its the same camera I used to take the shot pictured below:

Kodak Camera Ebay

Another place to check out: NewEgg

Fathers Day Pick 5 Mega Pixel $279.00

<!--EDIT|RamminBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118454295 -->

post_11_67884_busadb2.jpg

I've got to vote for Fuji.

I bought the F601 about 3 years ago and it was a tremendous camera until my wife drowned it last spring. I sent it back to Fuji for a repair estimate and they were awesome. It was unrepairable but Fuji offered to sell me any new model at wholesale price and that is a good price. I ended up buying my same model of camera again because I had the media card and other extras and that model is hard to beat even against today's cameras. Thankyou Fuji!

powell_lake_00029.JPG

Whatever you decide, make damn sure you buy a camera built by a camera company first! Not a Sony or HP or something silly. The optics are what really matters, the electronics are pretty much the same. I have seen WAY too many "High Dollar" digi-cams made by computer companies that just give pixilized shiddy images....

All that being said, I've been using the Canon SD430 and it freakin rocks. Simple, super small, and produces excellent pictures.

No need to go all the way to the SD500... Unless your trying to be a pimp.
laugh.gif
or make sure your E-pen!s is bigger...
tounge.gif

Oh and don't get too hung up on megapixels, huge megapixels does not mean quality pictures... check out DPreview...

Back