New chain loose already!!!! HELP!

blacked_busa

Registered
I just recently changed my chain and sprocket. I went 17/43 for the sprockets. The sprockets are driven and I went with the 530zzz EK chain. I put the chain on about 700 miles ago and its loose already. I lubed it about 500 miles after the install. I recently drove through the city hitting all kinds of potholes. Not sure if that was the cause or something else is going on? The bolts havent moved and the alignment seems to be the same. It may be off by 1/16 but that doesnt seem significant enough for the chain to become loose. Does anyone have any idea of why its loose already? Hitting the potholes shouldnt move the axel should it?

I believe that's the normal stretch of a new chain but the experts will surely be along.

Make sure when you tightened the axle that you pulled the slack of the chain so the tire slid all the way up on the adjusters.sometimes tire is not all the way against the tensioners.

Normal for sure! Your biggest stretch will be the first couple hundred miles as the pins and plates take their normal set. It will stretch a bit more for a couple thousand miles then hardly at all. Keep it clean and lubed and in normal riding you should get around 25 to 35k out of it unless you spend time at the strip.

As E Zurcher said, it will stretch quit a bit at first. Just make sure you torque the axle nut to spec and make sure the adjusting bolts/nuts are snug, I have seen axles move if the adjusters are not snugged up. I haven't had very good luck with EK ZZZ chains so I have switched to D.I.D. chains, but they still stretch at first.

Hopefully when i tighten it back up it will be fine for awhile. Im taking a 1300 mile road trip on it in 2 weeks and I want be able to tighten it while I am on the trip.

Lots of threads on this forum about chain adjusting methods. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you are getting a good initial adjustment. If you follow your manual you will be fine. Remember, when you tighten up the axle nut the chain will tighten a bit. Make sure you use a torque wrench and torque it to the specified amount. 72 ft lbs for a gen 2 if I remember right. There is a lot of leeway as long as it is not too tight. Your chain can be pretty loose and still work fine albeit with some annoying driveline slack.

I am going to adjust tomorrow and ill make sure I adjust the axle nut appropriately. I was gonna ride it today, but wasn't sure if it would be safe or cause damage to the chain with it being loose. It will be adjusted tomorrow and then once more next week when I put new tires on.

Back