New chain is longer than stock chain? EK ZZZ

Ksix

Registered
Hello everyone.

I have a 2009 busa that is in need of a new chain. I bought an EK ZZZ 530 with 120 links. I had read prior to purchasing that I should have 118 links.

So I'm prepping to do this job tomorrow and I find that I've actually got 114 links. Is it ok to use this chain that's so much longer? If not how do i go about solving this problem aside from returning it. I was told that this chain would fit and I've read other forums where other bush owners like it.

What should I do? The installation part appears to be easy. I just stuck as to what to so with this damn chain. I don't want to have to pay local dealer to install this thing if I don't have to.

Thanks

Cut it down to the correct size...it helps to hook the new chain to the old chain (if still on the bike) to feed it through the front sproket cover. To take off links grind off the head of a rivit and press out the pin...do you have the chain press tool?

chain press.png

press.png

I do not have have a chain press tool. Not gonna lie, trying to keep cost down if I can. Plenty good c clamps and I've read it works just as well. So!!! Just use the angle grinder to grind the rivet down, then punch it out. And then once new chain is run through, attach new master link?

I do not have have a chain press tool. Not gonna lie, trying to keep cost down if I can. Plenty good c clamps and I've read it works just as well. So!!! Just use the angle grinder to grind the rivet down, then punch it out. And then once new chain is run through, attach new master link?

As long as you make it so the rivet head is slightly mushroomed it will not back out. See if EK makes a screw type master link for that chain. They do for some chains and they are great - makes chain swapping a breeze.

Ask around. I barrow my buddies. He says I'm the only one that uses it.

A friend of mine has one but I'm a bit impulsive and just went and bought my own. Shop showed me some tips for using it so I think I'll be ok.
If I run into any problems I'll be back.

Thanks y'all =)

It's really not bad with a decent kit. Still be sure to grind it first with a 530 chain to keep the tool from breaking. Helps to have an extra master link the first time "just in case".

So far so good. The Pit Posse tool is pretty ****ing awesome. Bought the cheaper 60$ one. Grinding the rivet before using the tool and taking your time definitely helps. Haven't finished reinstalling new sprockets. Forgot to pick up some super grease and thread lock. Should have it all wrapped up this afternoon.
Thanks again y'all!!

always rivet your chain together don't use the crappy master link clip.

I've read that the clip types don't last long with everyday riding ( or something like that ). Mainly used by those who need to change them quickly and constantly like on track bikes. I'm sure someone else has a better technical answer.

I just wanted "frisbee's" opinion on why theyre bad.

the difference between a good master link and a bad master link, is the person installing it.

Back