New Car Question Need Answer ASAP

SnowBeltChamp

Registered
So my sister just bought a brand new Jeep Cherokee... she traded in her old car and the guy gave her 0 percent interest on the full term of the loan... this was all worked out 3 days ago when she gets home from work today and theres a message on the phone saying they can no longer give her the 0 percent interest due to the fact she has not been at the same job for 3 yrs or more even though she already signed the contract and didnt lie about anything in it including her work history...

Is this possible? I mean can they really do this to her? If they can whats the best action to take?

Sounds shady to me...They should have realized that ahead of time. Sounds like the finance person screwed up. Read all the paperwork to make sure that she didn't sign anything to agreeing to "allow" them a mistake. If not, I'd go and demand my old car back and take my business else where.

Sounds like the old bait and switch. You will need to scrutinize the contract to see if there are any loopholes. There may be some language in there giving them the right to change the terms at any time. This is what the fair lending act is trying to fix...
The best thing would be to get a consultation with a lawyer to have him look the contract over.
Otherwise, you could try to call their bluff and just drop off the Jeep at the dealer and demand the trade-in back..
She may be lucky enough to have an "Opt-out" clause in there that would allow her to return the car within a certain amount of time.
Whatever you do, do it quickly, like today..

Last edited:
Some states have a 3 day buyer's remorse law or a Right to Resend law. If you're state has that and it applies to cars you can just take the car back to them within the three day limit. If she believes she has been misled by a dealer, and has documentation to prove it (the original paperwork with the 0% interest rate), contact your state's Attorney General's Office and Department Of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If either feels you have a case, you'll need an attorney as well.

Also, don't let her sign any more paperwork until this gets figured out. Good luck

Last edited:
Some states have a 3 day buyer's remorse law or a Right to Resend law. If you're state has that and it applies to cars you can just take the car back to them within the three day limit. If she believes she has been misled by a dealer, and have documentation to prove it (the original paperwork with the 0% interest rate), contact your state's Attorney General's Office and Department Of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If either feels you have a case, you'll need an attorney as well.

Also, don't let her sign any more paperwork until this gets figured out. Good luck

That is what is shady about it because if there is a buyer's remorse law specifying three days and they waited until that period was over to tell her about the change in terms, she may have fight it through a lawyer. What they may be betting on is that a lawyer will cost her a few grand to get moving and that will counter the cost of the finance rate change...

not much you can do about something like this... but she needs to have the car back on their doorstep before the 3 day time limit runs out..

seems the loan app would have asked how long at work etc.. perhaps the salesperson did not know about the the issue or maybe her loan app was different from what her employer told them.. (time on job)

i was told by a car dealer once that once you sign and drive the car off the lot its yours, no taking it back, now if they misled her and she has paper work to prove it then i would think they will have to hold up to there end of the deal, you usually get that paper work right then and there stating your intrest rate and total number of payments and such, pink paper i believe...

If they did this over the weekend there is a chance that the paper work that was submitted was just rejected by the finance company. Figure out what the deal is and why for sure, get everything in writing. Remember if this goes south and she ends up in court if its not is writing it didn't happen. Best of luck!

thanks everyone this is crazy shes leaving for Arizona in like 3 weeks and this is just another stress factor she doesnt need... shes on the phone with the dealer now... I will report back once I find out what the outcome is

Get everything you had in writing an agreement is an agreement and if it's been so written then it is contract. Call today and tell them to come get the Jeep if they won't budge then file a complaint considering they are altering the contract. She may also have legal recourse. Each state is different in regards to new vehicle purchases but be wary don't buy a second vehicle from those people. I'll ask a friend of mine who yes works for chysler jeep seeling cars. I'll see if I can get the info now for you.

just got your answer they had a binding contract with her, she can return the vehicle without any penalty because they no longer have that binding contract by changing the terms. They can however opt to chnage the contract if they so choose, but it is no longer binding so she can take it or leave it. My advice tell her to go elsewhere for her jeep if that's the kind of games they are playing.

i was told by a car dealer once that once you sign and drive the car off the lot its yours, no taking it back, now if they misled her and she has paper work to prove it then i would think they will have to hold up to there end of the deal, you usually get that paper work right then and there stating your intrest rate and total number of payments and such, pink paper i believe...
I did some looking and the 3 day buyers remorse thing looks like a lot of hot air... could be that if the financing does not go through however, that there is an exit... (no loan, no car)

http://www.autotropolis.com/wiki/index.php?title=New_Car_Grace_Periods

Last edited:
Preliminary internet search says Ohio does not have a buyer's remorse/72 hour grace period.

Yeah your right fortunately for her there is contract law which this does fall under. It means they are changing terms so the contract is no longer binding unless she accepts the new terms. She now has the legal right to walk away from the deal.

I would think it was just a mistake, the dealer should not want the bad publicity they will receive from this deal.
i would see if she can get out of the deal completely or renegotiate the terms.
Good luck

Put a bunch of miles on the car they won't want it back.

A lawyer review would be a a good idea but I that usually cost money.:down:

Lawyer may not be a bad Idea but the time might not be worth it let us know how it turns out. Hope we could help

Def a huge help... my mother and her just left to the dealer now... I should have an answer some point tonight... I really do appreciate the quick responses ! This Place RULES ! :bowdown:

Something similar happened to a friend of mine here in Florida. She took the car back and they gave her hers back. They changed the deal so most likely they will try to work something out(fast talking). They salesmen and most time when a new owner gets driving a car for a couple days they will eat up the new teams just to keep the car. Happens often.

Back