New Busa tips when buying

pikey

Registered
Hi guys, I am a newly registered user looking to buy a Busa. Is there anything I should look out for when going to see them?

For starters :welcome: to the org!

When purchasing, I'd say you gotta look out for just about all the same stuff when buying any bike... Test ride, etc...

If possible, try to get a carfax on the vin... That's usually a good place to start...

:beerchug:

Welcome,
tocuh everything, check the vin and open everything... i just sold my 2010 and the buyer asked me to open her up,
I took the seat out, rear cowl and lifted the tank, he came to the house with a friend that owns an 02 and was talking about how hard is to take the farings off on the gen II, I took everything off the bike, boths sides and nose in less than 15 mins, the guy was impressed on how clean the bike was and that was all he needed to drop 13.5 on my hands...

sad part is that now i don't have a bike... but made up for what I paid and then some.
Good luck with your purchase

Welcome! Biggest thing to watch out for is keeping the smile off your face while your looking. Once that happens it's a done deal. :laugh:

Check the frame welds(near the forks) for cracks in case the bike has been wheelied and sat down hard. I would check that on any bike.

:welcome: to the .oRg!
Ya looking at Gen I ('99-'07) or Gen II ('08 - present) ?
  • Be cautious of any bike that's been sitting in storage for a months/years. There's many a story around here where guys have bought bikes that have sat for a long time and have tank rust and fueling issues.
  • Look out for any mods that involved tapping into the wiring. Again many a story of hack wiring job issues.
  • The early years ('99-'02) tend to have fueling (dirty filters) and starter clutch issues that can easily be fixed, but can be a little costly.
  • '99-'00 Came with an aluminum subframe which was prone to cracking if overloaded. Thing is I don't think Suzuki ever published a max weight restriction for it and it was discontinued for '01-current.
  • Gen I tend to overheat in stop-n-go traffic, but a Muzzy fan blade or addition of a modded '01-'04 GSXR fan can fix that.
  • Another common issue with all years is the 2nd gear dogs are not undercut and if not shifted firmly tend to wear to the point that it'll jump out of gear under hard acceleration. A bent or worn shift fork is a byproduct of this issue.

A fully cowled bike, such as the Busa, can hide a multitude of sins. Have the seller peel her open so you can see what lies under her pretty plastics. Take a bud or someone you know that has or knows Busas to help with the inspection and asking the right questions.

Most of all don't get wrapped up in the moment, the thrill of owning a Busa. If something doesn't look or sound right, move on. Once the cash exchange is done the headaches are now yours.

Happy hunting and good luck! :beerchug:

Last edited:
:welcome: to the .oRg!

Ya looking at Gen I ('99-'07) or Gen II ('08 - present) ?
  • Be cautious of any bike that's been sitting in storage for a months/years. There's many a story around here where guys have bought bikes that have sat for a long time and have tank rust and fueling issues.
  • Look out for any mods that involved tapping into the wiring. Again many a story of hack wiring job issues.
  • The early years ('99-'02) tend to have fueling (dirty filters) and starter clutch issues that can easily be fixed, but can be a little costly.
  • '99-'00 Came with an aluminum subframe which was prone to cracking if overloaded. Thing is I don't think Suzuki ever published a max weight restriction for it and it was discontinued for '01-current.
  • Gen I tend to overheat in stop-n-go traffic, but a Muzzy fan blade or addition of a modded '01-'04 GSXR fan can fix that.
  • Another common issue with all years is the 2nd gear dogs are not undercut and if not shifted firmly tend to wear to the point that it'll jump out of gear under hard acceleration. A bent or worn shift fork is a byproduct of this issue.
A fully cowled bike, such as the Busa, can hide a multitude of sins. Have the seller peel her open so you can see what lies under her pretty plastics. Take a bud or someone you know that has or knows Busas to help with the inspection and asking the right questions.

Most of all don't get wrapped up in the moment, the thrill of owning a Busa. If something doesn't look or sound right, move on. Once the cash exchange is done the headaches are now yours.

Happy hunting and good luck! :beerchug:

In regard to the above this is very good advice and you should take a small tool box with an assortment of allen head wrenches and other things so seller cant say he cant remove fairings due to lack of tools.

Welcome! This is a great place to be, these guys have a great deal of knowledge and go out of their way to help each other out.

Back