new busa rider/racer

boosa06

Registered
So I decided to take my bike to the local 1/4 mile drag strip and run it a few passes. Please keep in mind ive only had the bike since april and up until being at the strip, i had not even accelerated hard in first gear and only a couple of times in 2nd gear. I made a total of 6 passes and 4 of them i killed the engine at the start. I made only 1 kinda decent pass. Please dont hate on me to hard, lol i am a very inexperienced rider and this was my very first time at the track with it. I am the one on the left and NO that is not my thumb. Its my buddys wifes thumb. haha

Most important part of drag racing is: seat time. You did fine for a first timer. Ive seen Busa's go much slower than that lol.
And as long as you had fun,thats all that matters:beerchug:

Yea, not bad for your first day. As mentioend, practice is the key. You didn't mention, but lowering links and a strap go a long ways towards going fast.

Thanks for not bashing, lol.

Lowering and extended swing arm are on my list of mods to come.

I do have a power commander 3 installed and when im not moving it will not let the engine rev past 6500 rpm. I am thinking that is launch control?? Please correct me if I am wrong.

I've never heard of launch control on a PC3 like that. Maybe someone else knows. The strap is the same material as a ratchet strap tie-down. It is special for bikes and goes from one brake caliper, over the head of the frame, and down to the other caliper. You use it to compress the front suspension which lowers the bike, but more importantly keeps the springs from helping the front end lift when you launch. The Gen-2 bikes need a set of brackets since they have radial mounted calipers. Gen-1 just goes in a caliper bolt. You can get this from Brock's or Schnitz.

I went for a ride today and checked out the rev limiter and it bounces around between 6k and 6500 rpm.

These guys are top notch on here with helping out new guys! My first pass down a dragstrip was 2 years ago they've helped me every step of the way. Like everyone said practice, practice and more practice.

The OP really isn't kidding about being a new rider. He literally has less than 500 miles seat time on any bike, then takes a brand-new-to him bike and runs an 11 sec. 1/4 mile. Most importantly both the rider and bike came back in one piece. :thumbsup:

Did I read that right? You have a rev-limiter at 6500? Or is it a neutral rev-limiter?

Any way have fun and build that seat time.

It must be the drag tool 2 step from ecueditor. If you grab the clutch in any gear and Rev it's limited to whatever set at. Kinda sucks bc if you don't turn it off its kinda hard to Rev match the downshift. Sure is fun for lighting up the rear tire tho!

You'll get there. Your 60ft is terrible (I'm right there with you tho) and then your just not getting full throttle fast enough. Your back half your almost picking up 30mph so that's good. But thats the easy part of the track. Doesn't look like anything wrong with the bike.

I'm still a beginner too but all comes with seat time. I got my 60ft down to 1.8 (still not great) but that got me into the 9s.

Keep at it!

Is anything done to your bike at all to get into the 9s? Mine is still practically stock. ride height and wheel base are still stock. This was my second time at the track with it and i just started feeling comfortable getting off the line with a little throttle. The last race i pulled the front wheel up but i hit rev limiter right before i was gonna shift into 2nd gear or im guessing it woulda been a 10.7 or so pass.

It ran 10.1 with just exhaust and ecu tune lowered in rear and strapped. Someone that knew how to ride went 9.6 on it only made 1 pass.

I got into the 9s same setup just added -1 front -1 rear and stretched 2 or 3 inches.

Get the lowering links and straps for the font maybe $120 and you'll gain a lot of confidence and get you into the low 10s.

Back