New 'Busa owner needs advice

acceljunkie

Registered
Hi folks.  This is my first post.  I searched, but didn't find an answer to my two simple questions, probably because they are so simple.  I'll be grateful all year for any help you can give.

Background: This is my first 'Busa and I'm deeply in love.  I've had half a dozen other bikes over the past 40 (gulp!) years, including a GS1100 (modified),  but nothing like this.  The 1100 was getting boring at the drag strip (11.28 @ 115.86), so I had to make a change.  My '06 white LE 'Busa is stock at present, has been through the break-in period, and it's almost time to drag it.  I'm a total amateur, but something inside keeps making me want to go faster.

The track I use requires a kill switch and a number plate (instead of painting the number on my headlight & helmet with white shoe polish as they used to do).

Question 1:  Do you know where I can get a number plate to identify my bike without fashioning one out of steel myself?  How would you attach it to the bike's right side as required by the track?  Dozens of you must have solved this problem before, but I haven't figured this out yet.

Question 2:  My local bike shop has proved beyond doubt that they're not competent enough to install a kill switch.  I've obtained a kill custom designed for the 'Busa from Schnitz Racing.  After I cut the ignition wire, how shall I connect the kill switch?  I read that butt connectors always jiggle loose at the worst possible times, but I'm also told that solder joints tend to get brittle and break after a few years.  What's left?

Thanks again for any advice you can provide.  I promise, I'll post pics of my baby once I take some that are up to the quality of others I see on this board.

I would ask the other bikers how they came up with the plate and how to mount. They'll probably help hook you up.

If you use the proper technique and a good butt splice it should last forever. When stripping the wire take great care not to nick or cut the outer strands of wire. Make sure you push the wire into the splice completely and squeeze the piss out of the connector at the right location.

Another option is using a small terminal block. You can probably find this at radio shack.

first off.......... WELCOME!!!!

Second, with a good solder joint, u shouldnt have any problems what so ever. when doing anything electrical, u always want to solder the connection. it is the most reliable form. ive done atleast a thousand car alarms and remote starters in my day and i have yet to have a customer come back for a bad solder joint.

unfortunately, i cant help with your first question. im sure somebody will be able to help ya with it though!! lots of good knowledge to be gained here.
beerchug.gif

post-52-02136-welcome.gif
to the Site and just wait around, we've got some pro dragsters on here that can help Ya  
beerchug.gif

first part not sure, but solder always. rub a little dielectric grease on it and heat shrink it. you will never have to think about it twice.

You people are the best. Thanks very much for the quick replies and the good advice. I'm looking forward to getting race ready over the next two weekends, since the track opens the first weekend of April!

welcome to the boards and congrats on your new baby.

can you put vinyl numbers on the hump?

to the .org...solder is the best way to go and as jpracecraft said, make sure to use heat shrink tubing, this gives the connection one more layer of protection

Get rid of that stock chain.It won't handle the drags.Some have broke just for being on hard acceleration.Ekzzz530 is a good chain.It will handle the drags very well.It actually handle big HP turbo bikes.

Have fun with the new ride
super.gif

Back