"New" bike won't -where to start?

Mikesbaron

Registered
2000 with 5700 miles.

I've got full power to everything including lights and blinkers and Horn. It turns over just fine over and over and over again but will not start.

Clutch lever pulled in, and enrichner pulled on, and kick stand up. It will turn over and over but doesn't even act like it wants to start.

I did replace the fuel lines right after I bought it cuz it had been sitting for so long so this is the first time I've tried to fire it up since putting in a new battery.

I want to make sure I got the fuel lines on correctly. I've got the line that's going from the petcock attach to the lower spigot on the fuel pump. And then the other spigot off the bottom of the tank I have going to the higher spigot on the fuel pump. Is this correct?

I would pull spark plug(s) and check to see if you're getting fuel into the cylinders. It sounds like you're not.
If it's been sitting, it's likely the fuel pump, and/or filter is gummed up.
A common problem on early Busas, even ones that haven't sat.

I'm not getting any priming sounds from the fuel pump, shouldn't I be getting some sound?

Where is the fuel pump relay and/or how do I test the pump?

Just so you know, there is no fuel enrichener on this fuel injected motor. All that lever does is raise the idle.

Do a load test on the battery at a parts store, even though it shows charged it might have a bad cell.
I've had 12v readings that would drop as soon as I hit the start switch.

Self test: Unplug battery negative cable, when you plug it back on listen to see of you can hear the main fuse relay click ( this is what allows the fuel to prime) if you don't hear it "click" your not getting enough cranking power.

Hope that helps.

I have two batteries (one of them new) that I tried and I've got 13+ volts, everything cranks fine.

When I turn ignition on I hear the ignition click and the speedo cluster whirring. But I get no sound from the fuel pump assembly (external on my 2000?).

My next question is: how do I test the fuel pump assembly with it still on the bike. Looking through the assembly after I split the foam protecting it I found just a two wire plug that plugs in up towards the injector rails. I unplugged that and hooked up two different batteries to the respective poles and get no sound from the pump assembly. Is this the proper way to test it?

My fuel pump is shot, so I removed the external assembly and injectors.

I took off part of the FI side to clear the small mesh screen and I found this rubber plug (the little hat looking thing) fit into the mesh screen. It was smashed between the o-ring and into the mesh screen hole.

When I look on the microfiche it's not show anywhere. What the heck? Any ideas?

photo_2018-01-21_15-16-36.jpg

photo_2018-01-21_15-16-39.jpg

photo_2018-01-21_15-16-40.jpg

Why would you say that? I already have the things assembled. I can put it back together and put it back on just as easy. Just need to find out why that piece is there

Back