NEW BIKE: QUESTIONS & COMMENTS

OB_GrumpyCop

Registered
If your looking for sound try out the D&D pipes. Mine sounds real mean. The deep base rattles round inside your helmet. Will solve your other noise problem real quick.

Valk can you remove your cans and exchange them for RS-3 "race-only" cans? It will all depend on how good your dealer is and the condition of your current cans and packaging, etc. I have the "race onlys" and they are considerably louder than stock...I bought them for the noise, so I could shift without looking at the tach and they work great for that.

If you can't exchange them drilling them out may be an option for you. Drilling works very well on the stock cans so maybe it can be done on your Yosh cans.

I had a rough idle from new that was fully corrected by balancing the throttle bodies. You need a good idle to have crisp off-idle response. A buddy did it for me while I was out of town so I can't tell you the connections, etc.

With all respect to DP, idle is a bit 'lumpy'even with throttlebodies synchronized. They didn't make all that great power without cams that make motors idle like that. Lumpy ok, rough (RPM varies, seems to 'hunt' at idle) not. Must make Christmas seem great. ENJOY!

valklex, on the rattling sound ...

Check where the lower fairings meet at the bottom of the bike for a [new] bracket. Make sure it is secured to each fairing with a screw, especially the right side. I just picked up a red Y2K and it, and two other Y2Ks received by my dealer, had the right side bracket screw missing and the bracket itself had been bent upward between the header pipes. I reported the problem last night to the dealer and took it in this morning to get the missing screw.

--Felix

You're right Tinhead about a cammy idle. Mine was rough rather than lumpy...it pulsed within a 50 rev range and it hestitated & spat when the throttle was snapped from an 1200 RPM idle. The synchronization fixed the problems and made the idle dead nuts smooth.

Motors still tight with 0 miles. Check idle again after 100 miles.
How was your idle with stock cans? Almost all exhaust mods require remap. Even the PC2 provides more fuel at idle with the "race cans only map."
The RS3's are quiet though and have more backpressure than the race only. I had one on my Bandit 1200 for a week before I switched to a Micron Race because it was too quiet. The RS3's have a smaller pipe diamter and are baffled.
My idle was lumpy stock. Balancing the throttle bodies helped, so did adj. the TPS, and the PC2 remap. My bike Huummmmmsat idle. No lump, no surge. If someone you know has a Yosh Box the idle adjustment of this Box can smooth out the idle very well also.
Your steering dampner is probably the source of your rattle.
Bob

Rattle (that sounds like rocks)is the steering damper, no wait let me do another search for you and find all the facts! :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS

No1 is the base setting, no adapters needed, it's all in the Service Manual.

A buzzing comes fromthe windshield, others have solved it by adding electrical tape to the mounting tabs to shim out any looseness.

Wait for your manual, ride your bike. Don;t look for problems with only three miles on the clock. RIDE THE BIKE!

[This message has been edited by KawAbuser (edited 24 December 1999).]

My idle has always been lumpy. My cans are Two Brothers slip-ons and they sound great, nice and deep, definitely louder, but not too loud. And they recommended stock settings. My dealer first set it richer with a Yosh box and it ran terrible. Much better when he set it back to zero.

My rattle was the windshield.What I do with the throttle cables is with the bike off twist them a far as the will go serveral times the adjust the freeplay at the throttle bodies(fine adjust at handle bars)ride it for about 100 miles before you do a snych.before you do the snych open and close the throttle hard several times and make sure the bike is a operating temp.Is it great or what?!?!!!

The only way those Zyclone cans will get any louder is if you unbolt them, put them in a metal trash can and kick it down the street!
Do like DP said and get the RS3 cans or if you want to save $$ drill out the stock cans with a 1/2" drill and use them until its time to get a full 4 into 1 system.

Valklex: Yosh offers a competition baffle for the Zyclone slip on, a little louder than the stock baffle, but not as loud as the Race Only slipons.. Check their website for more info...

I have a true 4 into 1 custom pipe on mine and MAN DOES IT SOUND GREAT!

You might try taking the packing out of your cans. I don't know alot about your cans so it might not be able to be done.

Another option is to put on a pipe called TI-FORCE.
It's a totally TITANIUM pipe!
And it looks great and it performs just as good or if not better than any other pipe on the market...

.....Frank

Coco: same thing here. Bracket bent rattling against the pipes & fairing and screw missing on right side (I'll have to order the screw as well; I just hope it takes less than it has taken the service manual). Great suggestions, I just have to wait for the snow to melt and put some miles on the bike.
JC

I had D&D Slip-on Cans also,,not too much louder either than Stock. (Carbon Fiber)

My Yosh Duplex Race isn't really that loud either.

As to the other problems,,I may be one of the few who Never had a Problem,,either with recall 108-109,,even after my Spill & fixed up,,It's never been better.

161 ®

valklex, talk to your dealer about this. Apparently the screw, along with instructions on where to install it, should have been included in the crate.

I'm trying to obtain more information on this; will post once I get it.

--Felix

Valk....I did the same as you with the Yosh cans. Not enough sound! I got a replacement race only baffel from Yosh for about 25 bucks and they will install and repack for an extra 10 spot. I am well pleased with the race only baffel....not too loud just a deep sound of power. And by the way the guys at Dyno-Jet told me the street baffel has more back pressure than a stock muffler.

Finally I got my bike yesterday, assembled the puppy, fired it up and brought it home with 0 miles. It has impressive quality materials (especially the seat and dash materials), fit and finish. Hands down better than honda in every respect. First things I did was remove stickers, reflectors and front suzuki decal, and check the bike. Then, I replaced the cans with Yosh RS3 zyclone slip-ons (excellent quality, by the way). Sound? No sound. Hardly louder than stock, so I basically paid $500+ for better looks (I could't even hear them without my helmet). DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE. I wanted quiet, but I never thought there was an aftermarket can this quiet). Now the questions:
1. idle is not smooth. Do throttle bodies' synch will smooth it out or is that the nature of the beast? If the answer is yes, I don't have my service manual yet. Does the bodies need adapter for the mercury sticks, and which one is the base?
2.Throttle cables feel loose on the housing (adjusting "wheels" are tight though) but seems they are thay way. Is that normal?
3.I have a rattling sound under the dash area, like rocks or something. Does anybody have that?
4. an unrelated question, Do you think my stupid cans will get louder with time?
I have a grand total of 3 miles on my ODO (at 20º yesterday, and now is raining), but this baby feels amazing. Riding position is perfect (I'm waiting for my DB) and it has more power than my valk at 4K rpm.
JC

Coco, I just removed the bracket for now to avoid the rattle (it seems to be there to better join the fairing at the bottom rear). I'll talk to the dealer on Monday, but as the tech and I were putting the bike together I don't remember seeing an extra screw; maybe the tech put it away thinking it was an extra one.
Falconfool, I'm glad you mentioned the repacking. I'm going to talk to the dealer about this as well. I wonder if the competition baffles for our pipes would sound better than the race ones. Are yours become louder as you crank up the revs or it stays pretty much at the same sound level?
By the way, I've never heard TOKICO brake calipers, like on my busa; are they the same as the 99's and are they good?

[This message has been edited by valklex (edited 25 December 1999).]

as far as removing the packing , if your cans are carbon fiber i hear that they will melt down if packing is removed .
maybe just bite the bullet and off the slip-ons and for only a couple hundred dollars more than slip-ons you can get a full system . lose wieght too .
and i have to agree that ive also been told by everyone not to change it without having the bike broken in first.
i have a micron sys. and it is a really great sounding pipe .
my idle is rough also.doesnt bother me and doesnt seem to affect the bike.
no rattles but then again i have personally had all body panels off of my bike and installed them myself so some attention to detail was involved.
shame the cold streets wont let you feel the awsome torque your straddling now .
brave the cold and get that thing broken in ! come to indy for the hangover rally !

Back