New bike break-in

Spike

Donating Member
Registered
Hi folks,

Now this isn't about a Hayabusa, sorry. I just need some expert opinions. I have never owned a bike with so little power as the Ninja 250 for the Wife.

The break-in states that for 500 miles keep it under 4000RPM. that is fine but that is about 35mph. I am reading that the break-in is not so important but to just make sure you don't beat the hell out of it. Right now she can't even hit traffic speeds if she keeps it that low for 4000 miles.

My thoughts: I was just going to tell her to:

1.) drive whatever speed she needs to, within speed limits of course, 2.) no freeway driving,
3.) don't take it over ~9750RPM (75% of redline@13,000)
4.) make sure she varies the RPMs up and down on a regular basis.
5.) make sure it is warmed up before taking it out.

Does this sound reasonable? I hate to ignore the manufacture break-in suggestion but for a low powered machine like this it is almost unreasonable.

Thanks for the input!

-Spike

You should be alright as long as your easy on the little girl, your plan seams reasonable. I would probably try to keep the RPM's under 50% myself just for peace of mind. Good luck with the bike man.
beerchug.gif

I've broken in a Ninja 250 and I will never sell it
because of the Sweat Equity I put in to break it in.
If I had to do it again, I would follow your plan you came up with.
My first 500 or so miles I kept in under 4K rpms (36mph) as much as possible, then under 6K for the next 500 miles.
It took me half a summer with all in city driving and it was horrible. Not to mention broken in wrong with constant
RPMS.
Luckily, I feel like I'm still getting all 29 hp to the rear wheel and the Bike will probably last forever!
65 to 70 MPG
This is one bike I'd even try the dyno break in method if it
was available. Good Luck!

Easy on the first 100. They are the most important. Then get a little more free with the throttle on the next 400.

(06BUSA @ Apr. 03 2007,08:51) Easy on the first 100. They are the most important. Then get a little more free with the throttle on the next 400.
+1
And I think most important is to vary the RPM's.......

The exercise she is performing the most right now is starting and stopping. Varying the RPM's (and sometimes halting them) shouldn't be an issue for now;) hehehe

Allrightythen....time to stir the pot.

Motoman

Seriously considering trying this next new bike.

I read that. That and the posts on the ninja250 forums is what started me questioning the neccessity of the factory break-in. It is a good read.

Regardless of HOW you break it in, CHNAGE THE OIL EARLY!!!!!

I have seen MANY Ninja 250's and 500's that have ALOT of machining debris in the engine oil at the first change. I even saw PICTURES of one 500 that had some pieces of debris as big as BB's!!!!!!

When the owner called the dealership and Kawasaki, he was told that is typical for the Ninja 250 and 500.

CHANGE YOUR OIL SOONER THAN LATER!

*I'll see if I can find those pictures... the metal bits were caught in the oil filter and large enough that they showed up in pictures!*

Double Post.... But I found the thread on another forum that I was talking about. It has pictures and he explains everything regarding the metal shavings etc....

Linky

Here is another article that challenges the conventional wisdom of the break in period.

Brock's method

This is basically how I have broken in my bikes. Twice with a Bandit 1200 (new and after top end rebuild) and the Busa. I think it makes sense to help the rings seat properly. I have had zero problems with this method and have no oil consumption. Haven't compression tested but the motors all have run strong and had noticeable improvement after the first 100 miles or so when the rings seated.

+1 on the early oil change: 30-50 miles.

Back