New bike advice please...

Well she hasn't ever ridden my Busa. She has NEVER, and I mean this quite literally, ridden a on the street or on a street bike at all. She has been on the back but that was a long time ago on a Harley.

She is about 5'6" and approximately 160 pounds or so. (Shedding pounds every day too since we started working out again.) I anticipate her weight will settle around 135-140 fairly soon here.She has sat on the Busa and she can touch the ground but cannot stand flat footed. The Busa really intimidates her even though she wants one. That is one reason I don't want her getting one at first. The other reason is that for a first bike the Busa doesn't really turn as easy as most at low speeds due to it's weight. (Not my experience at least.) I had her sit on the Busa last night and her statement when trying to stand it up was "Jesus this thing is heavy."

So I have votes for the:

GSX-R600
GSX-R750
Katana 600 or 750
SV650

Oh and SpkrHead, my wife saw that picture and said "Oh hell yeah, that's what I am talking about."

Hydra, thanks for the gear pictures. That was going to be our next foray. Saved us a lot of trouble. And you are right, she did like those, except for the color;) She is a black/grey type person.

Thanks everyone, this is GREAT advice. Once again, hayabusa.org comes through for me. Time to throw some more money at Cap'n;)

Thanks,
Spike

Busabutter and HAYA!busa,

Sound advice. Being that she IS a mature rider I will let her make the decision and take a few test runs on my busa after she finishes the MSF Class or gets her permit. I do have veto power in the house as she trusts me implicitly. Honestly I would LOVE for her to get a Busa but I don't know if she is up to it just yet. I will let her decide.

Oh heck, I would love a smaller 750-1000 sitting in the garage too, that's part of my reason for pushing her into something smaller. You are right though. It is her biker, let her decide.

(Spike @ Mar. 25 2007,05:45) Well she hasn't ever ridden my Busa.  She has NEVER, and I mean this quite literally, ridden a on the street or on a street bike at all.  She has been on the back but that was a long time ago on a Harley.

She is about 5'6" and approximately 160 pounds or so.  (Shedding pounds every day too since we started working out again.)  I anticipate her weight will settle around 135-140 fairly soon here.She has sat on the Busa and she can touch the ground but cannot stand flat footed.  The Busa really intimidates her even though she wants one.  That is one reason I don't want her getting one at first.  The other reason is that for a first bike the Busa doesn't really turn as easy as most at low speeds due to it's weight.  (Not my experience at least.)  I had her sit on the Busa last night and her statement when trying to stand it up was "Jesus this thing is heavy."

So I have votes for the:

GSX-R600
GSX-R750
Katana 600 or 750
SV650

Oh and SpkrHead, my wife saw that picture and said "Oh hell yeah, that's what I am talking about."

Hydra, thanks for the gear pictures.  That was going to be our next foray.  Saved us a lot of trouble.  And you are right, she did like those, except for the color;)  She is a black/grey type person.

Thanks everyone, this is GREAT advice.  Once again, hayabusa.org comes through for me.  Time to throw some more money at Cap'n;)

Thanks,
Spike
For that height you can get her any bike she wants.

Not out to insult anyone here. But the size of the bike in not as critically related to the size of the rider as people tend to think. The biggest balance in my opinion is the maturity of the rider in relation to the power of the engine. A calm rider can be put of a 15 million cc engine and will still ride it well.

For the bikes recommended and the bike she is looking at preferentially (sp?) you are looking at a well balanced and smooth bike. It's not an immediate power bike like the Bandit or the old V65 Magnas, so the bike itself will be generally accepting of her and her learning curve.

The problem comes in determining the type of rider she is. If she is like some people and feels that the only form of entertainment is finding out if she really can hit that corner at 130 or not.... then get her a detuned bike. An example here would be the leader of the Death of Me group in Allen, TX. Dean rides an R1 that is pretty much the general envy of everyone for speed power and looks. In addition to this he can ride better than any non pro I have ever seen. However, the one person you never see doing wheelies and stoppies on open roads? Dean.

So decide what kind of rider your wife will be and if she is a calm rider then let her get whatever she wants, height can be fixed with lowering links and power is relative to the riders application of it.

Good luck and post pix when you two decide (my girl is considering the class now, so I am really excited about getting her a bike).

Oh...and to the poster above. Chicks who ride bikes are hot... nice pic.

+100 on the Katana (would vote on 750), and sv650. Katana is an easy bike to learn on, Sv650 has a less agressive riding position and is fun as heck to ride. The katana 600 is a good bike but just really weak. the older style cbr f2-4 are fun starter bikes and a dime a dozen.

I guess I am the one who is going to have to say this and most likely will get some flaming as a result.

It would be completely insane to let her have a Busa as a first bike! I cannot even believe that it has been suggested.

Letting her start on a GSXR 600 is a stretch at best! And then reccomending a GSXR 1000? You have got to be kidding me?

Lets do a reality check here. We are talking about someone who has NEVER ridden a sportbike, right? And there are people who are saying it is ok to put her on "The Fastest Production Motorcycle Made"?

This is your wife we are talking about. Someone that you love with all your heart. You are certainly the man in your household as your posts indicate. Put her on a 250 for the first 6 months, a used one at that. Because, you all know that she is going to drop it and it is better to drop something that is not going to cost you thousands when it happens and it will happen. It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. See if she can handle that and when she is ready, move her up to a GSXR 600. There will be a huge difference in power and she shouldn't have that power until she has the basic skills down pat. Riding skills take time to develop. Give her a goal. Tell her that if she can handle the 250 without dropping it for a period of 6 months or a year, you will get her the next bike. What if the 250 scares the crap out of her and she decides she wants to give up riding?

If you are the man in your house, make the right decision and keep her on a bike within her limits.

May I recommend the ZZR-6 AKA the old Ninja? Look into it. WARNING: still carbuarators

Interesting topic...

I had a couple come into our store yesterday. In the middle of the Saturday rush... I stopped everything I was dealing with to spend some time with this guy's wife to get her "fitted" for a sport bike. He is a former Busa owner and just bought a GSXR1K... now she is feeling left out because he won't ride her on the back like he did with the Busa.

He wanted to get her on a GSXR600, but the position for her was just too much. After trying her on the SV650 and SV650s, we finally moved her to the SV1000.

After working the deal for 3 hours she finally rode her first sportbike, the SV1000... HOME!!

I have to suggest that if she wants a bike that is easier for a woman to control both in height and weight... with a surmountable degree of power... get her the SV. If you look at SVRiders.com, you will find more people swapping GSXR parts onto their SVs and getting amazing results with them.

Think of it as a lightweight TL1000R.

(Shanling @ Mar. 25 2007,09:19) I guess I am the one who is going to have to say this and most likely will get some flaming as a result.

It would be completely insane to let her have a Busa as a first bike! I cannot even believe that it has been suggested.

Letting her start on a GSXR 600 is a stretch at best! And then reccomending a GSXR 1000? You have got to be kidding me?

Lets do a reality check here. We are talking about someone who has NEVER ridden a sportbike, right? And there are people who are saying it is ok to put her on "The Fastest Production Motorcycle Made"?

This is your wife we are talking about. Someone that you love with all your heart. You are certainly the man in your household as your posts indicate. Put her on a 250 for the first 6 months, a used one at that. Because, you all know that she is going to drop it and it is better to drop something that is not going to cost you thousands when it happens and it will happen. It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. See if she can handle that and when she is ready, move her up to a GSXR 600. There will be a huge difference in power and she shouldn't have that power until she has the basic skills down pat. Riding skills take time to develop. Give her a goal. Tell her that if she can handle the 250 without dropping it for a period of 6 months or a year, you will get her the next bike. What if the 250 scares the crap out of her and she decides she wants to give up riding?

If you are the man in your house, make the right decision and keep her on a bike within her limits.
Wow. I am not going to flame you, but I tend to disagree.

As the "man of the house" he needs to take the "experienced rider" point of view and make a decision from there, not put the little woman somewhere that she is bored... that is almost as bad as someone who gets too much bike.

Now with that in mind, my first bike was a VTX 1800 that I used to drag race with no gear other than glasses. I have never dropped a bike and to assume that it's going to happen because someone is inexperience is simply faulty logic (in my personal opinion). People drop bikes because of two major reasons, pilot error and fear. Now with pilot error in mind I think a 600 is a good bike to control the urge to haul ass.

To assume someone will drop a bike is poor logic in my personal opinion, to assume that someone who is mature and understands the principles of riding will drop their bike is also faultly.

There is something to be said for a complete lack of road experience, but this woman is a dirt rider already and had riding experience. You can safely assume she has road experience as well in a cage. So to step into the street riding from a mid range dirt bike to a 600cc motorcycle (or a 1300 Hayabusa either) is not a strech as long as she is the rider type that understands and chooses not to push her limits.

But I am of the camp that a Busa is a fine first bike for the right rider.

(Shanling @ Mar. 25 2007,09:19) I guess I am the one who is going to have to say this and most likely will get some flaming as a result.

Shanling, thank you for the honest opinion. I have to agree with most of your points actually.

I for one have never dropped a bike but admittedly have only about 15-20k miles under my belt. My first sport bike was a Hayabusa and my "learning" bike was a Vstar 1100 that weighed about 600+ pounds. My feeling is that she will be about the same kind of rider as me. Let me just stress though that she will not be buying any bike until she takes the MSF class and has the confidence to ride on her own.

I may have implied wrong in an earlier post. Whereas I am the man of the house she is definitely the woman of the house. She will have the final say in everything but she does highly value my opinion as a more experienced rider.

What it comes down to is that she will not ride anything less than a low-end average sport bike. I truly think the <insert brand name here> 600 is going to be her pick if she decides to buy one after the MSF class. I think she can do it and giving her MY confidence will be half the battle.

The 600's may have some decent HP but the torque is low enough (in my thinking) that it will give her some room to learn without snapping her neck back like a Busa.

Since she is taking the MSF course she will be taking it on 250's. I have told her that is her $200 test to see if she wants to ride. If she gets the bug then we look for bikes. She should be able to gauge if a 250 is the right power for her or not. I do trust her to not pick a Busa right off the start and if she says she can handle a 600 then I will let her. If she drops it then we fix it and keep riding. (Hopefully she doesn't but you never know, agreed)

I will not be forcing her to ride something she does not want to, I will let her make a mature decision on her own. She is wise enough to not be stupid. C'mon she is a woman. They always make the sensible decisions, right?

Again, than you Shanling.

(Tango1300 @ Mar. 25 2007,09:27) Interesting topic...

I had a couple come into our store yesterday. In the middle of the Saturday rush... I stopped everything I was dealing with to spend some time with this guy's wife to get her "fitted" for a sport bike. He is a former Busa owner and just bought a GSXR1K... now she is feeling left out because he won't ride her on the back like he did with the Busa.

He wanted to get her on a GSXR600, but the position for her was just too much. After trying her on the SV650 and SV650s, we finally moved her to the SV1000.

After working the deal for 3 hours she finally rode her first sportbike, the SV1000... HOME!!

I have to suggest that if she wants a bike that is easier for a woman to control both in height and weight... with a surmountable degree of power... get her the SV. If you look at SVRiders.com, you will find more people swapping GSXR parts onto their SVs and getting amazing results with them.

Think of it as a lightweight TL1000R.
I will definitely keep this in mind when checking them out. I am trying to steer away from the SV's just because I would like to not have a Vtwin. This is just a personal preference of course.

Riding position will be a decent sized issue. I won't say how old she is but I did state earlier that she is retired so that should tell you something;)

I think she was comfortable on the Busa as far as riding position. I am not sure where the other 600's fare according to that but she will have to decide that on her own I guess. Who knows, she may actually sit on a bunch and decide to go with an Enduro, LOL. Ok that would just kill me.

I will check out SVriders though, thank you.

(KROOZER @ Mar. 25 2007,09:25) May I recommend the ZZR-6 AKA the old Ninja? Look into it. WARNING: still carbuarators
Yick, no carbs for me thank you. I have had too much fun with carbs in the past. EFI only in this house from now on.

But thank you!

I am looking at the ZX-6 though;) hehe

To Shanling:

On second thought I may broach the "used" subject again with her. I think used is not a bad idea and if we get a good "learning" bike that has good resell we won't even losse any money. Whatever we buy will be with cash anyway so it really doesn't matter about loans and such.

Thanks for that idea.

(Nekosohana @ Mar. 25 2007,07:30)

Wow.  I am not going to flame you, but I tend to disagree.

As the "man of the house" he needs to take the "experienced rider" point of view and make a decision from there, not put the little woman somewhere that she is bored... that is almost as bad as someone who gets too much bike.

Now with that in mind, my first bike was a VTX 1800 that I used to drag race with no gear other than glasses.  I have never dropped a bike and to assume that it's going to happen because someone is inexperience is simply faulty logic (in my personal opinion).  People drop bikes because of two major reasons, pilot error and fear.  Now with pilot error in mind I think a 600 is a good bike to control the urge to haul ass.

To assume someone will drop a bike is poor logic in my personal opinion, to assume that someone who is mature and understands the principles of riding will drop their bike is also faultly.

There is something to be said for a complete lack of road experience, but this woman is a dirt rider already and had riding experience.  You can safely assume she has road experience as well in a cage.  So to step into the street riding from a mid range dirt bike to a 600cc motorcycle (or a 1300 Hayabusa either) is not a strech as long as she is the rider type that understands and chooses not to push her limits.

But I am of the camp that a Busa is a fine first bike for the right rider.
"As the "man of the house" he needs to take the "experienced rider" point of view and make a decision from there, not put the little woman somewhere that she is bored... that is almost as bad as someone who gets too much bike."

How will she be bored? She has never ridden a street bike. The whole thing will be new to her. Let her develop skills first. You are looking at this from a first person point of view. That is dangerous!

"Now with that in mind, my first bike was a VTX 1800 that I used to drag race with no gear other than glasses. I have never dropped a bike and to assume that it's going to happen because someone is inexperience is simply faulty logic (in my personal opinion). People drop bikes because of two major reasons, pilot error and fear. Now with pilot error in mind I think a 600 is a good bike to control the urge to haul ass."

Again, your first person here. Do you still ride like a squid? No harm meant, just asking the question since you state that is how you started out riding. Don't take that the wrong way. And regarding "pilot error" and "fear", they are most commonly found in brand new riders. This lady is brand new to the street. She hasn't even taken the MSF yet! Have you riden a GSXR 600? I have and that bike wil haul ass! An average rider on a GSXR 600 would be difficult for a good rider on a Busa to keep up with in the twisties. Very flickable bike!

"To assume someone will drop a bike is poor logic in my personal opinion, to assume that someone who is mature and understands the principles of riding will drop their bike is also faultly."

So let me get this straight, someone with NO street experience will understand the principles of riding on the street?

"There is something to be said for a complete lack of road experience, but this woman is a dirt rider already and had riding experience. You can safely assume she has road experience as well in a cage. So to step into the street riding from a mid range dirt bike to a 600cc motorcycle (or a 1300 Hayabusa either) is not a strech as long as she is the rider type that understands and chooses not to push her limits."

Have you ever riden in the dirt? I started at 11 in the dirt and at 16 when I moved to the street, it was a whole new way of riding. You didn't slide through a corner with your legg extended forwards on the street. Your saying that driving a car gives one the road experience for a bike? If a Hayabusa is not too much bike, what is? If she has never ridden on the street, how does she know her limits?

"But I am of the camp that a Busa is a fine first bike for the right rider."

I agree with the "right rider" part. But someone with zero street experience is not the "right rider". If you believe that to be wrong, what bike is off limits to a beginner rider? A Busa is something that you should work your way up to, not start out with. That is like telling a first time snow skier that a double black diamond slope is fine if you take it nice and slow.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to hear that this lady is on a Busa one day. But, I would love even more knowing that she made it safely home another day.

I am not flaming you either and I appreciate that you didn't flame me but, I am pointing out where I dissagree with your logic. And I only have 33 years of street riding under my belt.

lol, I can't argue that, I don't have 33 years of life on me.

How will she be bored? She has never ridden a street bike. The whole thing will be new to her. Let her develop skills first. You are looking at this from a first person point of view. That is dangerous![/Quote]

Not really sure I am looking at it from a first person point of view. I didn't say that she should have a Busa as a first bike, but with a mature and open viewpoint I think it can be a fine first bike.

Again, your first person here. Do you still ride like a squid? No harm meant, just asking the question since you state that is how you started out riding. Don't take that the wrong way. And regarding "pilot error" and "fear", they are most commonly found in brand new riders. This lady is brand new to the street. She hasn't even taken the MSF yet! Have you riden a GSXR 600? I have and that bike wil haul ass! An average rider on a GSXR 600 would be difficult for a good rider on a Busa to keep up with in the twisties. Very flickable bike![/Quote]

No harm taken. Again, I understand that logic would disctate that most "new riders" would carry those two items. But riding experience in itself (which I will note in a moment) does count for something. Along with cage experience (which I will note as well). And yes, I have ridden the GSXR 600, GSXR 1000, R1, R6, ZX-6R, my Hayabusa, a Bandit 1200 (which I sold), a Road Star, a chopper VStar 1100, my VTX 1800, a Suzuki Intruder 1400 and then an Intruder 1500, a Yamaha Venture, a Volusa 800, a Yamaha Warrior, and I learned (before I took the course) on an Enduro (I think it was a 750 but I don't know) out in the dirt. And last week a friend loaned me his CBR600RR which was a great bike as well. I am somewhat of a bike whore.

So let me get this straight, someone with NO street experience will understand the principles of riding on the street?[/Quote]

No, but clearly I didn't clarify my statement properly. Here is how I see it from my point to clarify:

0. No experience, cage or car
1. Road experience, cage only. Basically, wothless but understanding the rules of the road is worth something.
2. Dirt Experience. Good motorcycle experience, the mechanics of some items (like forward foot turning/pivoting) is different, but the basics of knees on the tank, leaning turns, balance, and familiarity are of value.
3. Dirt + Cage. Some riding experience, plus knowing your road rules is of enough value that I would feel comfortable letting someone on a bike at this point...
4. MSF Course. Probably close to the one below, but I would value it higher because it's road specific and also teaches you a different way to look at the road (making you more cognizent of things like timing, braking, and planning ahead)
5. Riding experience. Depending on the rider, this could be an agressive curve or a smooth safe one. But to answer your question there is nothing more valuable than riding experience.

Have you ever riden in the dirt? I started at 11 in the dirt and at 16 when I moved to the street, it was a whole new way of riding. You didn't slide through a corner with your legg extended forwards on the street. Your saying that driving a car gives one the road experience for a bike? If a Hayabusa is not too much bike, what is? If she has never ridden on the street, how does she know her limits? [/Quote]

I have ridden in the dirt a little. Not a lot though. But really I was pointing out that the familiarity of a motorcycle adds a value added experience. I am not really arging that the Busa should be a starter for all bikes, but I also feel that not outgrowing your bike is a part of the purchase and experience. Finally, in regards to limits, maturity is key above all else except basic riding skill. If she can't limit herself then she will die as quickly on a 250 Ninja as she would on a Busa.

I agree with the "right rider" part. But someone with zero street experience is not the "right rider". If you believe that to be wrong, what bike is off limits to a beginner rider? A Busa is something that you should work your way up to, not start out with. That is like telling a first time snow skier that a double black diamond slope is fine if you take it nice and slow.[/Quote]

Ironic that you put it that way. But using the analogy given I will make my argument. A double black diamond is different from a Busa in the way it allows the rider to approach it. Smooth throttle is different than attacking a mogul filled treeline, because you can't alter the black diamond. The basics of riding will allow you to control any motorcycle (and I think this is the basis of my whole perspective), but the basics of skiing will not allow you to tackle a double diamond because skiing basics have to be developed to include mogul attack, speed, and space control. A motorcycle is ridden based on the riders application of throttle, clutch, brake, and angle control, that never changed. So in response, I think that no bike should be off limits to a biginning rider as long as they can apply these basics, which the MSF teaches well. The same people who drop their lame ass 250 Rebels in the MSF course are the same people who will drop their bikes later.

As a comment to that...is it wise? No. But if the large bike option is selected, I think that a more tempered personality is required. I don't believe it works across the board, but I think we agree that a specific type of personality will fare better than another. You have to ride to your skill and style.

I follow you, that you are not being negative and defending the bike here. I appreciate you not flaming back!
smile.gif
Hope to hear if you have any new responses for me.

Regards,
Neko

Back on topic, I think the wise thing to do is wait until after the MSF course is completed and see how she gauges her own skill. I do believe in her to make the right decision with my coaching and if she feels that the 250's she rode in the MSF Course were too small and not challenging then we may get something a bit bigger.

I will make her read this post though so she can see what the general thoughts of experienced riders are on this subject. I can't force her to start on a 250 but I can influence her decision to start slow and develop her skills on whatever platform she decides to start with.

Thank you everyone, GREAT thread.

Sincerely,
Spike.

Neko - I am done. I spoke my piece. Appreciate your points and we will agree to dissagree on some of them.

I am a safety kind of guy. Ask anyone that has ridden with me. My main concern is a rider's "well being" and not their ego.

Be safe out there and nice posts!

(Shanling @ Mar. 25 2007,11:42) Neko - I am done. I spoke my piece. Appreciate your points and we will agree to dissagree on some of them.

I am a safety kind of guy. Ask anyone that has ridden with me. My main concern is a rider's "well being" and not their ego.

Right back to you, sir.

It was a pleasure.

(Nekosohana @ Mar. 25 2007,09:43)
(Shanling @ Mar. 25 2007,11:42) Neko - I am done. I spoke my piece. Appreciate your points and we will agree to dissagree on some of them.

Right back to you, sir.

It was a pleasure.
Wait a minute...

Was that "sir" thing because I am old?

ices_rofl.gif

Hey, today is my 49th birthday and I am a little touchy! With 50 being right around the corner...
wow.gif

(Shanling @ Mar. 25 2007,12:01)
(Nekosohana @ Mar. 25 2007,09:43)

Right back to you, sir.

It was a pleasure.
Wait a minute...

Was that "sir" thing because I am old?

ices_rofl.gif

Hey, today is my 49th birthday and I am a little touchy! With 50 being right around the corner...
wow.gif
lol, no disrespect intended...

My dad is 54, my mom is 52, my uncle is 48, my pastor is 54, his wife is 52.  Etc Etc etc.

We all ride together.

But I will say my pops really got snagged up on the 50 thing.  It really bugged him a lot...which made for a lot of opportunities for me to mock him.  
guns.gif

*** edit, didn't realize you said TODAY was your birthday! Happy birthday! Did you get those billet triple trees I sent you?

Back