New bike advice please...

My daughter is in Miami with her boyfriend today and sending me text messages busting my nutz about being this close to 50! She still lives in Indy and on her flight down to Miami yesterday, she sat next to a guy I went to Highschool with. Small world. She called as they were taxieing to the gate and I asked her if he looked old. She laughed and said "Just like you Daddy!"

(Spike @ Mar. 25 2007,05:45) So I have votes for the:

GSX-R600
GSX-R750
Katana 600 or 750
SV650

Oh and SpkrHead, my wife saw that picture and said "Oh hell yeah, that's what I am talking about."
GSXR 600,750...BAD CHOICE for now...1000 even worse
sad.gif
 the 600 makes 40HP less than a Busa and is 120+ lbs lighter...BAD combo for a  
newbie.gif

They are all pretty much track (race) bikes now with lights and mirrors.

The SV 650 is a GREAT bike to start on, next season she could handle a Gixxer.

The Gixxer's also have a taller seat height than the Busa (2-3 inches)...have her sit on the SV 650.

The SV is one of the BEST bang for the buck bikes on the market...Katana would be a good choice also.

(Spike @ Mar. 25 2007,10:16) The 600's may have some decent HP but the torque is low enough (in my thinking) that it will give her some room to learn without snapping her neck back like a Busa.
Yes the torque of the 600's are less than 1/2 of what a Busa puts out...but why are ALL the new 600 R/RR's less than .2 of a second slower than the Busa in the 1/4
rock.gif

The weight and GEARING differences, the 600 power is more peaky (doesn't come on smooth like the Busa)...if she gets in a situation where she has to hit that throttle to avoid a mishap...she could easily lose it on a 600R/RR

The SV 650/1000 is a much safer AND a fun bike  
wink.gif

Well after all the posts here and then seeing BA's advice I think I convinced her to get a less expensive, less powerful bike to learn on. I am going to look locally for a used smaller ride like a Ninja 500 or something and see if that will do. There is actually a Ninja 500EX for sale locally (2005, 7000 miles) for about $2900. That may be a good start for her. If we just pay cash for that and she learns on it fast then we can go whole hog and spring for the 600 maybe by the end of the year. Depending on how fast she picks it up of course.

I really feel better that she has decided to to go with used, less powerful. It took readin all of these posts to convince her though. Thank you everyone, you saved me a LOT of stress.

(Spike @ Mar. 25 2007,14
super.gif
) Well after all the posts here and then seeing BA's advice I think I convinced her to get a less expensive, less powerful bike to learn on.  I am going to look locally for a used smaller ride like a Ninja 500 or something and see if that will do.  There is actually a Ninja 500EX for sale locally (2005, 7000 miles) for about $2900.  That may be a good start for her.  If we just pay cash for that and she learns on it fast then we can go whole hog and spring for the 600 maybe by the end of the year.  Depending on how fast she picks it up of course.

I really feel better that she has decided to to go with used, less powerful.  It took readin all of these posts to convince her though.  Thank you everyone, you saved me a LOT of stress.
+1  1/3 the $$$ of a new 600R/RR...she could ride it for a season maybe two, then
sell it (for VERY little or no loss) then upgrade
wink.gif

(Spike @ Mar. 25 2007,12:29) Well after all the posts here and then seeing BA's advice I think I convinced her to get a less expensive, less powerful bike to learn on.  I am going to look locally for a used smaller ride like a Ninja 500 or something and see if that will do.  There is actually a Ninja 500EX for sale locally (2005, 7000 miles) for about $2900.  That may be a good start for her.  If we just pay cash for that and she learns on it fast then we can go whole hog and spring for the 600 maybe by the end of the year.  Depending on how fast she picks it up of course.

I really feel better that she has decided to to go with used, less powerful.  It took readin all of these posts to convince her though.  Thank you everyone, you saved me a LOT of stress.
Maybe you two will join us in Vegas?
rock.gif

I wish we could. One of these times I will make it to a Busa Bash and make sure she comes as well! Thanks for the thought though!

Hey folks .. my 2 cents. I JUST bought my wife an 07 Kawasaki Ninja 650!! Red - like Ducati - full fairings - 72 hp. 147 mph top end. 4 cycle, 2 cylinder (like Ducati), water cooled, fuel injected ... she has about 200 miles on it and she LOVES it!!! I have a million, gajillion brownie points. Check out Ninja 650 websites and orgs like this one. This is a torquey little bike! I rode it home - 4000 rpm for breakin gives you 65 mph on the intersnake. She - repeat - she took it up to about 85 mph riding yesterday and she said the rpm was like 5500 with a 11,000 redline. This is NOT a toy. She is all over the Ninja 650 websites - mucho mucho fem riders who are racing this thing. Gotta admit ... I had NO idea! Narrow, light, very manuverable - "pretty" - good writeups on the mags. Hmmm - guess I need another martini!!! I'm gittin carried away!
beerchug.gif

(Spike @ Mar. 25 2007,08:50) Busabutter and HAYA!busa,

Sound advice.  Being that she IS a mature rider I will let her make the decision and take a few test runs on my busa after she finishes the MSF Class or gets her permit.  I do have veto power in the house as she trusts me implicitly.  Honestly I would LOVE for her to get a Busa but I don't know if she is up to it just yet.  I will let her decide.

Oh heck, I would love a smaller 750-1000 sitting in the garage too, that's part of my reason for pushing her into something smaller.  You are right though.  It is her biker, let her decide.
Sounds like a plan... wouldnt mind a little gsxr 600-1000 beside my busa either... always loved the looks of both
laugh.gif

(Spike @ Mar. 25 2007,17:29) Well after all the posts here and then seeing BA's advice I think I convinced her to get a less expensive, less powerful bike to learn on.  I am going to look locally for a used smaller ride like a Ninja 500 or something and see if that will do.  There is actually a Ninja 500EX for sale locally (2005, 7000 miles) for about $2900.  That may be a good start for her.  If we just pay cash for that and she learns on it fast then we can go whole hog and spring for the 600 maybe by the end of the year.  Depending on how fast she picks it up of course.

This is a great thread with lots of good ideas and advice. I totally agree with BA. There are tons of good used learner bikes out there that are fun too. Good luck with her class and I'm jealous that your lady wants to ride her own!!

I say just let HER decide. If she's mature enough to know her limits and ride the bike, then what's wrong with the busa or litre for that matter?

Besides, she's a big girl, let her make her decisions. "She's the one that has to ride it anyways!"
rock.gif

Trust me, she will be the one making the final decision. I will be the one giving her education on what to look for as she does trust me to help her with this. With that said if she wants a Hayabusa I will give her many reason why she should not get one right off and she will decide not to get one.

I think someone earlier stated something along the lines of getting her too much bike may be just as bad as getting her not enough, she won't want to ride it.

If I got her a Hayabusa she would be too intimidated to ride it and she may give up trying. That would be tragic. The key is finding balance between getting her a 'Busa and a little 50cc.

Thanks for the input!

My Wife is 5'3" 105 pounds. She started on a Katana - very top heavy & hard to turn at lower speeds. Got her a Honda F4i & it made a world of difference. We have lowered all of her bikes. She currently rides a Honda 600RR & does track days as well.

Regardless of what you get - buy used & don't be upset if it gets dropped.

I agree the Busa is way to much for any new rider - male or female.

I don't think she will get "bored" with a 600. There are very few people that can ride a 600 to its limits anyway.
This is very evident on a racetrack.

Her current bike:

2005_600rr.jpg

(Spike @ Mar. 24 2007,22:58) Why do you think the GSX-R Would get uncomfortable?  Would you say it is more of a track bike?  I don't want t say we would be just hitting freeways and such but we would be hitting some pretty serious twisties after she gets used to it.
I rode our son's GSXR600 on a 200 mile ride.. OMG,, I couldn't WAIT to get off it!! It's an aggresive sitting position. My hands hurt, my back was screaming, and I couldnt' get comfortable after the first 100 miles.

I would say it's TOTALLY not a long distance bike.

I would also say a Katana 750.. but you already nixed that. How about a fully fared SV650? I saw one at the dealer and it was pretty hot.

Also at the dealer, they had a new bike.. made with suzuki engine, but different name..It was sporty looking, really light. . I'll see if I can find it.

Back