New battery, BIG weight savings!

Ludicrous Speed

Registered
Last time at the track, my bike struggled to start a couple times. I wasn't sure what it was at the time, but when I got home I put it on the battery tender. A week later, and the light was still red. Fast forward to now, a friend that owns a local shop had gotten a LI battery to try around the shop. They said that it really spun the bikes over faster, and they even jumped a car with it!

I went ahead and bought one..... Check out the difference in weight!

Old battery:
20130928_134101_zpsce640d1c-1.jpg

New Battery:
20130928_093222_zpsf9edab9a.jpg
Over 6lbs difference! Not sure what the standard battery has for CCA, but the new one is 240 CCA. My guy got it through parts unlimited

Yessir!! People pay a boatload of $$$ to drop potentially a few onces off their bikes and for less than $200 you can drop pounds!! Definitely a must have mod

I paid $160 otd for this one, and it recommends a Battery Tender style charger, which I already had. That was part of the reason I had not gone with a Shorai, Ballistic, etc was the added cost of a dedicated charger

I use my BTjr on my Ballistic with no issues, reason why I went w/ it. It was the Shorai that required the "special" charging system.

either way, good upgrade and lots of benefit!:thumbsup:

Yes I agree with you chef.... a lot of people run the tender jr's on ballistics and have had no problems. I read that you can use them but it's not good to leave it charging for an extended period of time.

I paid $160 otd for this one, and it recommends a Battery Tender style charger, which I already had. That was part of the reason I had not gone with a Shorai, Ballistic, etc was the added cost of a dedicated charger

Do you happen to have the part number for the battery?

my Shorai is almost 3 years old. No problems with charging it with a normal trickle charger. The charger they sell makes sure Each cell is charged the same.

Here is a pic of the box

20130930_153542_zps35f208cf.jpg

What's the expected life of these batteries?

Is it required to keep them charged over the winter?

Something tells me you know the answers Steve. From the data I've read and they're different makes of LI batteries but they can basically sit on a shelf for a year without charging, and should last around 8 years.

Shorai says it can sit for 2 years without charging. I keep mine on a trickle in the winter anyway. Is that a lithium Ion or lithium Iorn? the Ions are the ones that can catch fire.

Its a good idea to purchase and use new battery to save lot of things specially weight. I like this thread and nice to read all these posts.

Shorai says it can sit for 2 years without charging. I keep mine on a trickle in the winter anyway. Is that a lithium Ion or lithium Iorn? the Ions are the ones that can catch fire.

I was told that this one would not catch fire like some previous versions that were out there

I am in the market for an LI for my 2005. I have looked at the Shorai and also the Anti-Gravity. They sound good for weight reduction and cold cranking and I don't mind spending the extra cash as long as I get the secure feeling of the bike always turning over when I need it to go. This is a link to an article featuring a Shorei on a Battery Tender so I think it must be ok.

How to Charge a Lithium Phosphate Motorcycle Battery

Back