New 2008 in Canada

skoti

Registered
I'm looking to get a new 2008 Busa when the snow melts next spring. It doesn't look like Suzuki.ca has any info on the 2008's on their website. However, the MSRP for a 2007 is listed at $15K. This seems fairly steep considering I've seen threads on this site that have 2008s selling for 11K OTD and that the exchange rate is favorable for the Canadian dollar. So... I have some concerns.

1)I know at this point it is tough to say what will happen with the MSRPs in Canada in the next 4-6 months, but I would appreciate any insight from anyone that knows a little more than I do.

2) Assumming, the list price is 15K in Canada when I am ready to purchase, and I can't negotiate any better at the dealership, I'm probably better off importing. Does anybody have any experience with this? What things do I need to consider? Obviously, I want to have all this planned out before I consider making a purchase.

3) I haven't ruled out getting a used Busa. For those that have experience with both, is the 2008 worth the price? or would you rather purchase a used one and use the money saved for mods? Which option would give me a better bike?

I realize some of these questions can be quite involed to answer, but I would appretiate any reponses.

I'm located in Calgary, Ab and just picked up my blue '08 on Tuesday. I paid $14k out the door. GST, PDI, etc included. I'd recommend talking to your dealer about the $USD situation as Suzuki Canada is giving them some trading dollars to help out.

I would hold off for a few months like you said. All the car manufactures are slowly dropping their prices and bikes will follow suit. If you import it there is duty on top of that plus GST. welcome to the org fello canuk..

In Toronto its starts @ $13,500 and out the door over $16,000. just crazy STEALERSHIPS, and our $ is doing well against the USD and in the states u can get them for under $11,000 I have seen them

I'm looking to get a new 2008 Busa when the snow melts next spring. It doesn't look like Suzuki.ca has any info on the 2008's on their website. However, the MSRP for a 2007 is listed at $15K. This seems fairly steep considering I've seen threads on this site that have 2008s selling for 11K OTD and that the exchange rate is favorable for the Canadian dollar. So... I have some concerns.

1)I know at this point it is tough to say what will happen with the MSRPs in Canada in the next 4-6 months, but I would appreciate any insight from anyone that knows a little more than I do.

2) Assumming, the list price is 15K in Canada when I am ready to purchase, and I can't negotiate any better at the dealership, I'm probably better off importing. Does anybody have any experience with this? What things do I need to consider? Obviously, I want to have all this planned out before I consider making a purchase.

3) I haven't ruled out getting a used Busa. For those that have experience with both, is the 2008 worth the price? or would you rather purchase a used one and use the money saved for mods? Which option would give me a better bike?

I realize some of these questions can be quite involed to answer, but I would appretiate any reponses.
It is mostly a hassle but not much dollar impact. You need to do some formal work. You need to check with the "Registrar of Imported vehicles" to see if the vehicle 2008 'busa is listed as being ok to import.
www.riv.ca There is a fee of roughly $209 for this "service". ( The Registrar is located at 405 The West Mall, Toronto, Ontario,M9C 5K7, 1-888-848-8240

Also you need a "recall clearance letter" from Suzuki or your dealer.You need  the letter to pass Federal Inspection.

And you should be prepared to have some cash/credit in your hand for taxes when you import to Canada.

the United States Customs needs some formal documents and 72 hours notice before you cross the border with your new bike. Check a US Customs Website. Check which Border Crossings are equiped to deal with the bike.

You will need a termporary vehicle plate/sticker/permit from the US State where you buy the bike to allow you to transport it.

You will also (should)need to have the bike Insured.

There are some Provincial regulations to deal with as far as getting the bike Inspected to make sure it meets Canadian Standards. Rules vary by Province I imagine. BE PREPARED TO HAVE A GOVERNMENT INSPECTION AND AN INSURANCE COMPANY INSPECTION.

Please do ask your local Insurance Agent for more specific help.

Good luck. I am planning to do an importation in BC. BC Canadian list price is $15,099 plus,plus,plus.........Washingtonm State msrp is $11,999 or $11,000 Canadian (or there abouts).

It is mostly a hassle but not much dollar impact. You need to do some formal work. You need to check with the "Registrar of Imported vehicles" to see if the vehicle 2008 'busa is listed as being ok to import.
www.riv.ca There is a fee of roughly $209 for this "service". ( The Registrar is located at 405 The West Mall, Toronto, Ontario,M9C 5K7, 1-888-848-8240

Also you need a "recall clearance letter" from Suzuki or your dealer.You need the letter to pass Federal Inspection.

And you should be prepared to have some cash/credit in your hand for taxes when you import to Canada.

the United States Customs needs some formal documents and 72 hours notice before you cross the border with your new bike. Check a US Customs Website. Check which Border Crossings are equiped to deal with the bike.

You will need a termporary vehicle plate/sticker/permit from the US State where you buy the bike to allow you to transport it.

You will also (should)need to have the bike Insured.

There are some Provincial regulations to deal with as far as getting the bike Inspected to make sure it meets Canadian Standards. Rules vary by Province I imagine. BE PREPARED TO HAVE A GOVERNMENT INSPECTION AND AN INSURANCE COMPANY INSPECTION.

Please do ask your local Insurance Agent for more specific help.

Good luck. I am planning to do an importation in BC. BC Canadian list price is $15,099 plus,plus,plus.........Washingtonm State msrp is $11,999 or $11,000 Canadian (or there abouts).

welcome.gif

So I have been checking out prices and deals on the web, cursing at the change in the currency exchange and my own delays. Just this evening I looked at an ad from a Suzuki dealer in Newmarket, Ontario. They are offering the 2008 Hayabusa at $12,995 Canadian. If the Canadian dollar settles at par with the US dollar or falls below it will take away any of the advantages to buy in the USA. Please let me know what you have decided and what colour of bike you have chosen. Zig

So I have been checking out prices and deals on the web, cursing at the change in the currency exchange and my own delays. Just this evening I looked at an ad from a Suzuki dealer in Newmarket, Ontario. They are offering the 2008 Hayabusa at $12,995 Canadian. If the Canadian dollar settles at par with the US dollar or falls below it will take away any of the advantages to buy in the USA. Please let me know what you have decided and what colour of bike you have chosen. Zig
Yep, this is my home town dealership uspeak of and i checked with the my 08 from them and it was over $16,500 taxes in to get it out of the store, iam still shopping, with our $ dollar we are still getting killed up here by the stealerships
thumb_down.gif
shake.gif

I got an email from them (Newmarket) today..........$15,400 out the door no financing. Also a dealer outside of Calgary sells for $13,500 plus taxes. Happy shopping.

Bear in mind that even if you import it yourself, you may have duties and VAT taxes which are much higher than similar charges to import to the U.S. *IF* I'm not mistaken! Make sure you include that in your cost calculations. Good luck!

--Wag--

Back