Never thought It'd happen so soon

DougE

Registered
Hi Guys, I was relatively new to this forum as i had just purchased a gen 2 hayabusa in March of this year after my CBR300 was totaled in February. I commute to DC for work everyday rain/shine and am always aware of my surroundings in traffic. On my commute home yesterday, I was going through an intersection when someone turned left in front of me. I've dealt with incidents like these in the past but this time i couldn't save it.

I ended up hitting the car, going over the handlebars landing on the car then bounced off and landed in the sidewalk. The bike was totaled. The frame was broken in both sides near the triple tree and the front wheel was not moving at all. I made it out with bruises and minor cuts. I am disappointed that i lost the bike so soon at the start of the summer season. I don't know if I will ever get another bike at all so its a bit heartbreaking.

I want to thank you guys for being open and accepting in this forum. I know that I wasn't able to contribute much but you guys provided a lot for me.

Man, that's terrible news! I'm sorry for the incident and am glad you aren't seriously injured. I havent been in an incident yet but have been in your shoes before.either way, best of luck in your future.

That's very sad to hear but more importantly you are relatively ok.

Will insurance cover the bike? Did you have replacement on your insurance?

That's very sad to hear but more importantly you are relatively ok.

Will insurance cover the bike? Did you have replacement on your insurance?
Insurance should cover the bike since i had collision on it but I am not sure if I had replacement on it. I know that it'll be at least a month or two before anything gets paid out.

Insurance should cover the bike since i had collision on it but I am not sure if I had replacement on it. I know that it'll be at least a month or two before anything gets paid out.

Well, at least there's that....you might be able to pick up a decent used one for a good price.

I had mine 2 days when I saw a pick up truck in a line of stopped traffic almost turn left in front of me (he swerved out and quickly back in)...I was already on the brakes and planning an avoidance strategy...he got the horn from almost every car in the line, they were angrier than I was....

I guess having a yellow fairing paid off there...

Glad to hear you're safe and relatively unharmed. Hopefully insurance will step up and do the right thing, and it doesn't take months.
As far as riding again, only you know how you feel about that, but forever is a long time, and like most of us riding is in your blood. Give yourself some time to get over the shock of what happened before you decide.
Meanwhile, there's no need to make an exit from here, if you're comfortable, stick around. There are many former Busa owners and bikeless members, and we're all still a big family. You have a place here as long as you want one.

Well, at least there's that....you might be able to pick up a decent used one for a good price.

I had mine 2 days when I saw a pick up truck in a line of stopped traffic almost turn left in front of me (he swerved out and quickly back in)...I was already on the brakes and planning an avoidance strategy...he got the horn from almost every car in the line, they were angrier than I was....

I guess having a yellow fairing paid off there...

I'm glad you made it out of that one. Commuting everyday in a big city and you see it all. I've had countless people merging in front of me with no turn signals, people turning left and most times i could anticipate erratic behavior. You really have to ride like you're invisible.

Glad to hear you're safe and relatively unharmed. Hopefully insurance will step up and do the right thing, and it doesn't take months.
As far as riding again, only you know how you feel about that, but forever is a long time, and like most of us riding is in your blood. Give yourself some time to get over the shock of what happened before you decide.
Meanwhile, there's no need to make an exit from here, if you're comfortable, stick around. There are many former Busa owners and bikeless members, and we're all still a big family. You have a place here as long as you want one.

Thank you for your words. I know I will still continue to be on this forum and contribute when i can. As for another bike, I will give it time. My parents and wife are making me really think if i should get another one. In 4,000 miles i rode the busa, I enjoyed it and was able to appreciate everything about it. I hope in the future I can own another one if i keep riding.

You really have to ride like you're invisible.

That's a fact, I used to teach that to my students when I taught riding courses.

The scary thing is I even have people turn in front of me when I'm in my pickup and it's not a tiny truck...

That's a fact, I used to teach that to my students when I taught riding courses.

The scary thing is I even have people turn in front of me when I'm in my pickup and it's not a tiny truck...

From my observations in the D.C. area, people seem to only care about themselves. I understand you're on your way to work and dont want to be late but it doesnt mean to disregard everything else. I have seen people put on make up, text using both hands, watching movies, reading newspaper and so many other instances of distracted drivers.

Another issue could be on drivers relying on their motion sensors to let them know if there is a vehicle. They no longer do a shoulder check to make sure. There have been times that the sensor doesn't blink until i have passed the middle of the vehicle.

From my observations in the D.C. area, people seem to only care about themselves. I understand you're on your way to work and dont want to be late but it doesnt mean to disregard everything else. I have seen people put on make up, text using both hands, watching movies, reading newspaper and so many other instances of distracted drivers.

Another issue could be on drivers relying on their motion sensors to let them know if there is a vehicle. They no longer do a shoulder check to make sure. There have been times that the sensor doesn't blink until i have passed the middle of the vehicle.

I think those people are everywhere and anywhere....I read somewhere the 401 in Ontario Canada is one of the busiest and dangerous hiways (freeway really) in North America.

Bingo! with tech comes people relying on them and not remembering the fundamentals of driving-be aware of your surroundings and position in the road. Cars with passive cruise, blind spot monitors, center line correction, self parking, blah, blah, blah...leaves people without the ability to drive.

I think those people are everywhere and anywhere....I read somewhere the 401 in Ontario Canada is one of the busiest and dangerous hiways (freeway really) in North America.

Bingo! with tech comes people relying on them and not remembering the fundamentals of driving-be aware of your surroundings and position in the road. Cars with passive cruise, blind spot monitors, center line correction, self parking, blah, blah, blah...leaves people without the ability to drive.

Exactly! Although useful tech, i think it poses a slightly higher risk for riders with drivers not really having full control of their car.

Yes , as others have said , glad you are not seriously hurt , sorry for your bike . I hope that insurance pays out , and once you had a time to think , maybe you feel different about a return to bikes . Good luck with things anyway , be sure to keep us posted mate .

Hi Guys, I was relatively new to this forum as i had just purchased a gen 2 hayabusa in March of this year after my CBR300 was totaled in February. I commute to DC for work everyday rain/shine and am always aware of my surroundings in traffic. On my commute home yesterday, I was going through an intersection when someone turned left in front of me. I've dealt with incidents like these in the past but this time i couldn't save it.

I ended up hitting the car, going over the handlebars landing on the car then bounced off and landed in the sidewalk. The bike was totaled. The frame was broken in both sides near the triple tree and the front wheel was not moving at all. I made it out with bruises and minor cuts. I am disappointed that i lost the bike so soon at the start of the summer season. I don't know if I will ever get another bike at all so its a bit heartbreaking.

I want to thank you guys for being open and accepting in this forum. I know that I wasn't able to contribute much but you guys provided a lot for me.
Heal up, get your thoughts together. Then get another Busa but more importantly invest in a Alpine Star Tech air system. That airbag jacket will save your life. I keep harping about this jacket on the forum but there is no better protection on the market. That airbag will inflate even if you are standing still at a light.

What Mr Brown and Roadtoad says i reckon.

Ive had my share of broken bones from bikes and wondered to myself and thoughts of my family about getting another machine, it can take a wee while to sort things out within but i just could'nt do it - go
without a bike of some sort.

Happy to hear you're not to badly dinged up by the sound of things.

So sorry to hear about your loss.
You will get another real soon. Thankfully you are all in tact.
We are all here for you...Busa or no Busa. Hell, get me your bike and I’ll fix it!!

I’m really glad you came out of that “ok”. Hopefully, your desire to ride will come back and you’ll be back on another busa soon.

Back