Neutral below first

Chipwizard

Registered
Has anyone modified their shift-drum to put neutral between first and sixth on the drum rather than between first and second?

Or does anyone know if they are available from anywhere?

If not, would anyone be interested in one if I have some custom shift-drums made?

Would I be able to shift from sixth to first at highway speeds when I occasionally and absentmindedly, go looking for a nonexistent seventh gear?

Would you be able to shift from first thru neutral to sixth?

Interesting idea to have neutral on the bottom. I've always wondered why neutral is between first and second?

Never heard of this before . Why would you want it ? maybe for drag racing so you don't hit N while shifting ?

All racing car sequential gearboxes are like that, so are some bikes but not many. They put Neutral where it normally is so you can't drop into it by accident when going down the 'box.

I want to move it I can't hit neutral by accident when coming up the 'box, and to make getting neutral easier for my shift-system. It's programmed not to engage Neutral if it's moving faster than a nominally slow road speed so you can't accidentally select it anyway.

I just figured the drag racers would probably see some benefit and help to justify the cost of tooling up for it.

All racing car sequential gearboxes are like that, so are some bikes but not many. They put Neutral where it normally is so you can't drop into it by accident when going down the 'box.

I want to move it I can't hit neutral by accident when coming up the 'box, and to make getting neutral easier for my shift-system. It's programmed not to engage Neutral if it's moving faster than a nominally slow road speed so you can't accidentally select it anyway.

I just figured the drag racers would probably see some benefit and help to justify the cost of tooling up for it.

Most serious dragracers aren't foot shifting though, they're using a push button airshifter.
I'm not knocking your idea either.:beerchug:

why not try up 1, 5 down? the odds of you mitting it to light pressing down seems less likely then issues pressing up.

All the big Kawasaki triples from 1969-75 had neutral at the bottom, and just shift up from neutral, actually works good...the government mandated that neutral be between first and second...don't remember the reason why, but...my dad had some Bridgestone motorcycles that had the above mentioned rotary transmission...n-1-2-3-4-n-1-2...had some scary moments riding it...

Back