Negtive effect on cutting gen1 cans

HOOKDADDY

Registered
ok guys and girls I left GA about a month ago and now in MS as I started to cut my can ppl keep telling me that I will lose hp, tq back pressure and mpg are their any truth to this. im greatful for any insight thanks

Just completely remove the cans and see if you can tell any difference in HP Torque or gas mileage. Then cut your cans down :laugh:

I cut my ak can in half. It dynoed at 163 whp, 98 torque.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made my oem header a single sided header AND gut my can out and still managed 40+ mpg on the highway.....

Cutting the cans and gutting the bs out of the center will get you a different sound and you loose some weight...for next to nothing on a price tag...some tools and your time to do the job. A steeped header back exh would be much lighter and a bit of a power tune based on a specific brand making their system their way. Take the exh off at the x pipe and drive around...or at least fire it up for a few seconds and have a comparison to when you cut the cans....while they are off the bike you could paint them and different color if that is also worth doing for you...

Cutting it down probably not a good idea without going ahead and making it a straight through design like the aftermarket. If you do decide to convert it over to straight through, get the 2 1/2" OD perforated pipe for it and use both fiberglass as well as Stainless Steel wool for insulation. I use the SS wool over the fiberglass to help protect it from burning out as quickly. Try to make the wrap as loose as possible without it coming undone as this will give the best deep tone sound. Since you want to cut it down it will be pretty damn loud no matter what you do with the packing.

Cutting the cans and gutting the bs out of the center will get you a different sound and you loose some weight...for next to nothing on a price tag...some tools and your time to do the job. A steeped header back exh would be much lighter and a bit of a power tune based on a specific brand making their system their way. Take the exh off at the x pipe and drive around...or at least fire it up for a few seconds and have a comparison to when you cut the cans....while they are off the bike you could paint them and different color if that is also worth doing for you...

oh yes i plan to paint them with vht hight temp paint 2000degrees

Back