Negative feedback only works after about 12 years of age.

mike1180

Banned
Now I understand why it doesn’t work.
This article explains a lot for me and the behavior of the children in my life.
Anyone else have an opinion?

Learning From Mistakes Only Works After Age 12, Study Suggests

Science Daily (Sep. 27, 2008) — Eight-year-old children have a radically different learning strategy from twelve-year-olds and adults. Eight-year-olds learn primarily from positive feedback ('Well done!'), whereas negative feedback ('Got it wrong this time') scarcely causes any alarm bells to ring. Twelve-year-olds are better able to process negative feedback, and use it to learn from their mistakes. Adults do the same, but more efficiently.

Don't even get me started on the friends with the 6 and 4 year old boys who are constantly telling their boys that "__________ I don't think you are making good decisions." OR "__________ are you making good choices?"

OMG, this limp wrist language is then followed by more and more of the same with no real results, no real follow up, and concludes with more bartering or trying to compromise with the kids... GRRR!

I swatted the little ones hand at dinner as he reached INTO the pitcher of water for the 2nd time. These are also the little undisciplined brats who are involved in the attempted adult discussions etc...

I don't know what idiot decided that children should be handled like they are some kind fragile, delicate little flowers, but you treat em' that way, and award even the most basic of polite behavior and your raising little humans that have overblown senses of self worth, and zero coping skills. The World isn't going to pat you on the back and tell you "it's OK buddy, you can keep your job even though you're incompetent."

Christ, and then you're expected to play along with this psychosis? Telling them how impressed you are with their feeble and unsuccessful attempt at whatever? What lesson does this teach kids?

Grrr...

The World isn't going to pat you on the back and tell you "it's OK buddy, you can keep your job even though you're incompetent."Grrr...

Been to the DMV lately or called a Government office? Mortgage/insurance industry? Ford, GM, Wall Street? :poke:

So don't start beating them until their at least 12, just kidding about the beating but i do think all children need a good smack on the but every now and than. I say this having raised 2 children and they grew up good.

Been to the DMV lately or called a Government office? Mortgage/insurance industry? Ford, GM, Wall Street? :poke:

Dayum... You make a painful but good point... :Looking_anim:

But for Pete's sake, have you seen some these soft raised teens and tweens? Listless, shiftless, lacking spine, heart, or anything sorta even related to character?

Hard to develop character, or understand your own self without ever experiencing some fail, or difficult times.... Brings me back around to my mandatory 2 years military service for all High school grads...

"You raised the little bastids all soft and "feely"" Let the Army turn em' into real men now, Men that don't cry when they stub their toe or loose a limb..." Men who understand what uncomfortable really is, and know the difference between incoming and outgoing... Cause in life, there is always incoming and outgoing, and it's critical to be able to properly deal with both. :thumbsup:

So don't start beating them until their at least 12, just kidding about the beating but i do think all children need a good smack on the but every now and than. I say this having raised 2 children and they grew up good.

I'd agree with that... :rofl:

Seriously though, my Dad always had me out there picking weeds, hauling rock, moving boxes, digging holes, etc when I was bad or needed a "time Out", and you better believe that if I was truly disrespectful, I did NOT get a Time out, I got a Lights out... or Near to it. Dad always said he was teaching me Aikido, pretty sure he was just beating my butt in a manner that's legal. :rofl:

I like the mandatory military or civil service for 2 years idea.

It scares me when I think about raising our kids "soft and feely". While we are teaching little Johnny not to hit and call Jane names little Akmed is being taught how to field strip an AK 47, load an RPG and about how cool it is to blow himself and a room full of infidels up.

It scares me when I think about raising our kids "soft and feely". While we are teaching little Johnny not to hit and call Jane names little Akmed is being taught how to field strip an AK 47, load an RPG and about how cool it is to blow himself and a room full of infidels up.

This one takes the cake!:rofl:

This one takes the cake!:rofl:

Yeah, In the last University shooting... The majority of students sat their like freaking sheep. Other students nearby did the same. WHY? CAUSE IT'S WHAT'S BEING TAUGHT!!!!

We're breeding hero's and our own sense of right and wrong, self preservation, and FIGHT outta our kids... It's pathetic.

I was looking forward to one day having to explain to my son why it's OK to sometimes Loose a fight or explain why it's NOT OK to beat on the smaller kid, whichever. But NO NO NO, Now kids aren't allowed to fight, it's "ZERO TOLERANCE" or some silly crap...

It's just that, CRAP. WE need a large scale Alien invasion to get peoples heads on straight and eliminate all the freaking SOFT headed, SOFT Hearted, I'm OK and SO are You BS in this country. It's not that it makes us physically weak (It Does) but it's the effect it has on a persons mental capacity for emergency action. It's killing our fight or flight... Instead just sit their and die.

You know I always think of that cheesy scene in Batman where Bruce's Dad is carrying him inside after he had fallen. His dad Says, "Do you know why we fall down Bruce?" "So we can learn how to get back up."

It's this lesson that's being bred outta outta our youth and our Country... We're turning into a nation of Quitters, or WORSE, non-Starters.

Yeah, In the last University shooting... The majority of students sat their like freaking sheep. Other students nearby did the same. WHY? CAUSE IT'S WHAT'S BEING TAUGHT!!!!

We're breeding hero's and our own sense of right and wrong, self preservation, and FIGHT outta our kids... It's pathetic.

I was looking forward to one day having to explain to my son why it's OK to sometimes Loose a fight or explain why it's NOT OK to beat on the smaller kid, whichever. But NO NO NO, Now kids aren't allowed to fight, it's "ZERO TOLERANCE" or some silly crap...

It's just that, CRAP. WE need a large scale Alien invasion to get peoples heads on straight and eliminate all the freaking SOFT headed, SOFT Hearted, I'm OK and SO are You BS in this country. It's not that it makes us physically weak (It Does) but it's the effect it has on a persons mental capacity for emergency action. It's killing our fight or flight... Instead just sit their and die.

You know I always think of that cheesy scene in Batman where Bruce's Dad is carrying him inside after he had fallen. His dad Says, "Do you know why we fall down Bruce?" "So we can learn how to get back up."

It's this lesson that's being bred outta outta our youth and our Country... We're turning into a nation of Quitters, or WORSE, non-Starters.

Is it too late to elect Rev for president? All of these posts you've been putting up, I couldn't have put it better.

I hate how people are like you say, "being sheep." Every time someone shoot's up a place, hijacks a plane, etc...everyone sits around with their thumbs up their azzes!

Women and children, somewhat understandable (unless the woman is a 230lb bodybuilder named Olga):laugh: , but the men need to get a pair and fight!

What is sitting by doing nothing going to do? PROLONG THE TIME UNTIL HE SHOOT'S YOUR AZZ?!

This was a very good topic, I can feel my blood-pressure rise...:whistle:

Thanks for you input Rev, sometimes things just need to be said the way they are!:bowdown:

I got my arse beat all the time, whether i was in the wrong or not. If my dad couldn't prove who did it, he would beat both me and my brother. I turned out to be one of the most respectful and well behaved children in our entire family. As far as negative feedback on mistakes in school work or anything like that...if i was told i was wrong it made me want to do it right. You better believe my child follows the same principals i was raised on. I say, IF THEYARE OLD ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND NO, they are old enough to get beat. :rulez: are :rulez:

Don't try this at home. Stick a burning match into a 6 year olds hand. Light another one and offer it to him. What's he going to do?

I'm thinking even at 6 years old he's going to recall that negative feedback from the previous encounter with the match and not be very anxious to latch on to another.

Back