NEEDING A QUICK RESPONSE ABOUT POLISHING

03BUSABOY

Registered
I'm needing to know cause my VIN sticker thats on my frame on the left side(while sitting on bike) is able to be removed without any legal mishaps. I need to remove this sticker to properly polish my frame. I'm wondering if there is any other place my vin number is on my bike besides this sticker for future refrences for license brach or what not... I'm sort of needing to know asap cause im going to be polishing frame tomorrow and trying to get it completly done by friday cause I'm entered in World of Wheels for Feb. 4,5,6. and it has to be done.. If anyone knows if you can remove this sticker with out any legal problems please let me know. Or if the dealer can get me another one to place slightly above on my frame where i will not be polishing. I highly appreciate any help thanks...

I took mine off really carefully and pieced it back together on some wax paper and saved it. I polished my frame but wasn't sure of the customs thing trying to get this back Stateside from Italy. I will ship it with my household goods so I am hoping no major problems. Also the number is stamped in the front of the frame.

The VIN is stamped into the frame up near/on the steering neck. Unless your state has a law against removal of the decal you'll be fine. As painless said though, I'd skip the sanding/polishing where it's stamped into the frame neck.

Here's a link to the Indiana DMV: http://www.in.gov/bmv/

Here's a link to the local branches in your area: http://www.in.gov/serv/bmv_branch

I would at least call the DMV to see if it is legal or not. If the VIN is on the frame, then you'll probably be okay, but it would be a bad day if you found out you couldn't get plates anymore.

Good Luck. Show us some pics when you've got it all polished.
cool.gif

The number is stamped into the neck of the frame. This is where the police and DMV check to verify your VIN#.

KOOL THANKS I JUST WENT AHEAD AND TOOK IT OFF I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS STAMPED. I FIGURED IT HAD TO BE CONSIDERING THEY WOULDNT JUST PUT THE VIN ON A STICKER ONLY DUH.... LOL BUT ANYWAYS I GOT THE FIRST SANDING PROCESS COMPLETED AFTER BUYING THE WRONG OVEN CLEANER SO IT TOOK A DAY EXTRA FOR NOTHING.. MAN THIS IS A LOT MORE WORK THEN I THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO BE... IM TIRED OF SANDING. BUT IM DOING IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME THAT WAY I DONT HAVE TO GO BACK AND FIX IT LATER... IM TRYING TO HURRY UP AND GET HER DONE FOR THE WORLD OF WHEELS IN INDIANAPOLIS, IN. ON FEB. 4,5,6. AND IF MY PANELS WOULD EVER GET BACK FROM THE AIRBRUSH GUY I WOULD BE SET AND READY. JUST DETAILING LEFT TO DO BUT HE'S TAKING HIS SWEET TIME... ILL BE POSTING PICS OF COMPLETION HERE SHORTLY IF EVERYTHING GOES SMOOTHLY!!
JAMES

I heated Mine VIN sticker up to remove it and placed it on the frame spar that goes under the tank..If there was any problem You just have to flip up Your tank to show it..some states say you have to have 2 places on the frame with the numbers on it??

And yes polishing sucks!!But looks great when done..I'm working on a HOW TO POLISH Video,Should come in handy with first timers or anyone who wants to learn some tips tricks and info on the best products to use!!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

worse case senerio get some cold punches and pound the numbers on the other side of the neck on the frame.

He's just talking about the sticker..But punching any numbers on a frame itself..Is A No No with the Po po!!

What I do is take scotch tape or clear packing tape and press a layer above the vin sticker and the surrounding area, then I take a razor and slowly pry a corner loose. Once loose I pull the sticker slowly. The clear tape prevents the sticker from flaking to shiznat (like on safecheck check/registration stickers) this let's you safely remove it then later just reapply the sticker then just peel the clear tape from the opposite untouched corner and as you approach the sticker, use yuor nail to press the sticker to the fram while continuing to peel the clear tape...You have a sticker that looks like it was never tampered with.

I learned this when I wanted to remove my registration stickers and safety stickers without leaving chip flakes or scars on my license plate :p

A little heat, a little clear tape over top....presto, pulled it off and placed it on the cover of my owners manual that rides under the hump.....figured I should save it somehow...

Back