Need your help Folks...

It hasn't affected me ... Regardless of whose hawking what I check a product out before i purchase it. However i think alot of people buy a product based more on the salesperson thean the product.

OK Got to get my .02 in Here...

"How has the use of models in fashion magazines, Victoria Secret ads, etc. affected you personally and how you assess others?"

Well, in all honesty and my Bro can back me on this I was born with a lustful eye. So in the most basic way Victoria’s Secret, Cosmo, etc...Have been items I appreciate. I mean here you a go, a catalog of beautiful women free! What more could a man ask for? I usually am not even aware that the sexy model is actually there to sell me a product, that doesn't even come up.
Now let’s talk about the underlying psychology that motivates big business to slather our beer, car, clothing, and Soda ads with yummy lil trollops. This is where I start to get kind of irritated. I mean peer into the mind of the people behind the corporations, the add men, the marketing monkeys, and those bastions of "Common Man Knowledge" the CEOs. Do they really believe that American Males are so shallow, so completely hormonally driven that by simply trotting out their latest "body By DuPont Babe" with her vacuous, airbrushed eyes and big hair that we will just start snatching the product off the shelf? Look at the add campaigns and the answer is obvious, YES.
The SuperBowl had a commercial featuring the "Cat Fight" girls...WTF? To Sell Beer? What’s disturbing is this little 60 second spot has made a star out of the girls, and has placed their product in the fridges of Football and NASCAR fans nationwide (I have no idea what the product was), this out of an idea that Larry Flynt could have scribbled out for his next photo shoot. We are constantly spoon fed images of the unattainable, through television, movies, newspapers, magazines, and hell even our news is littered with empty headed (But Blonde and Perky) reporters to keep the viewer enthralled. We are constantly being hammered to consume, to spend, to go in debt, led by a carrot of dreams, beautiful women, and bullsh*t strapped to our heads to match the blinders.
I will go to the International Plaza Mall here in Tampa and sit and watch the beautiful women. A lot of these women I find pretty, honestly naturally beautiful, but there is a large number who have been surgically …uh…enhanced, I believe is the popular term. I sit and look and these women and I want to scream, yell, and I imagine heaping my most venomous insults upon them for prancing around with all their plastic bolted rigidly to their ribcage and injected lips… looking as though they just lost a fight. I want to wake them from their mindless self centered, little consumer world. A world where they really think they look “Great.†Where their husbands or boyfriends have encouraged or supported this self mutilation in search of a non-existent ideal.
This is where the fashion magazines and the media blitz we face every day have led me I'm pissed. If you step back and look around a little, it’s not to hard to see everyday where some company or Magazine has applied just a little more pressure to a beautiful woman to go out and get lipo-suctioned and “Augmented†so maybe she can feel good about herself. This makes me furious, I get angry at the machine that grinds this idea of beauty into the heads of the people. I get even a little more angry at the woman who are so stunted, so programmed, and so completely freakin owned by their desire for an image that they will pay money to be modified to fit a mold created by marketing.
Let me summarize here. Women in magazines make me feel good, so long as they have the appearance or semblance of natural health and beauty. The Men, who believe that putting this “Eye Candy†in front of me will motivate me to purchase their products are misguided, and are the kind of guys I used to slap the crap out of in High School. Now the woman who buy into the image presented by men…These poor creatures, I don’t know, I am angry at them and I pity them at the same time.
Hell this is depressing….

maybe Americans really are consumer cattle.

Rev...

Revlis, you sound like someone who recently DID get unplugged from the matirx. When you can step back and see things as they REALLY are and the comedic blueprint, you are really on to something! Welcome to the real world. Remember this about others, some minds are just to old to be set free. The truth might not be accepted. That said, I know what you mean. But, you gotta realize many will never make it out and you gotta let them go and move on. Yes, a vast majority of people ARE cattle and might never know there is anything wrong with it, and there might not be... for them. Why are they all trying to be individualistic but buying, wearing, dressing, acting all the same? Tommy Hilfiger anyone?? Because of the big lie. For info on this lie watch "The Matrix" again or read the Bible. To see it in action go to ANY meet market for a few hours alone and really observe the blinded throngs struggling to achieve cloneness AND individuality at the same time. It's really interesting. There is no spoon.

I'll be curious to see where the results of your brothers project end up.

Short and simple <<<<<<<<<<<< I see models as a coat hanger and it just gives me a visual of an item that I may be interested in buying for myself,family member or friend . Being stylish is just a youthfull attitude it keeps the soul fresh and young . I personally dont see any negative effects that the models would have on me because there are magazine that cater to big, small, and tall people .

Rev...you must be the other half of my brain...

It is sad and pathetic that this is where media takes us, and to be quite honest, I have had a very skewed picture of what men must like simply based on the advertising and crap shoved in your direction every second of the day...since I see so much advertising geared toward men, using sex to lure you in to buying a product or ideal, I assume it is what men want...not just want, but CRAVE...

We know that guys do like "eye candy", yet you do find it insulting on some level that this is what the great advertising machine assumes you desire?

...don't take this the wrong way guys (if that's possible)...because sex sells, and men are buying, many women, myself included, view men in general as somewhat "simple" creatures. I can't tell you how many times my girlfriends and I go on about how "simple" it is to please a guy with visual cues...TV, magazines, girls walking by...it's kind of a joke to us that guys seem so easily "pulled" in to something because a beautiful girl is selling it...

Reading this thread has shown me that I might be way off in assuming that it's the male population asking for this...it's being pushed...you still like it, and that's understandable, but I'm guessing your insulted on some level...at least Rev seems to be...

So, I guess that shows that I have been affected in more ways than one by models used to sell products...I know it affects me personally, but I guess it does change how I view men in general, doesn't it...couldn't live without you guys...

This is a good topic; I'd love to see what the outcome in a research paper might be...

Now...don't shoot me! Please :tounge:

Hey I appreciate everyone who took the time to think about this question and respond.
My Bro was stoked. He was reading through and thought there was some good stuff here.
It turns out that this question is somehow a Marketing question fired off from what My Bro
said was a really cool Prof. Basically we did most of his homework for him. :D

I dunno if there will be any sort of feedback on this from him but I will find out.

Thanks again,

Rev

Back