Need your Help bad FI Code 27. Anyone?

Corso1

Registered
All-

I finally had a chance to get my 04 Busa out this morning to ride to work. As soon as she fired up, the RED FI light indication came on and stayed lit. The bike idle was terrible, but stayed running, and the throttle response was rough, and did not seem to clean out no matter what RPM.
I called a shop prior to getting the code, they immediately suggested a fouled plug. Sounds logical, but I cannot figure out how the plug would've fouled when it started right up with no issues.
I came how, of course checked the forum, and found an old post from Charlesbusa with the "paper clip" trick, and a list of error codes. Mine registered as a -C27. According to Charles list, this is:

Ignition Signal - Crankshaft position sensor ( Pickup Coil) Signal is produced but the signal from Ignition coil is interrupted continuous by two times or more. In this case, code C24, C25, C26, C27 is indicated.
Ignition Coil, Wiring/Coupler Connection, Power Supply from the battery.

I guess my question is, have any of you had this issue? SInce no mechanical changes have been made this year, I find it difficult to blame a wiring connection. Would a fouled plug throw this code confusing the weak spark as a coil issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I cannot have my bike down. I work too much to not ride it every chance I get. My batt is going on five years old, but it starts the bike fine every shot.

Thanks all-

Corso

it could have just been low on voltage, have you tried to start it again and see how it was running now that it would have reset itself

Yes SIr. I even tried letting it run for a few minutes, while applying a little throttle to keep the RPMs up past idle speed. The indicator comes on immediately upon ignition, and stays lit. The poor thing sounds sick.

There is a section in the manual - section 7 Ignition System and it has a troubleshooting flow chart.
Go through that and it will eliminate the things that are good.

Thanks guys.

Golden- No I have not messed with the stator. My son had an award banquet tonight, so I couldn't work on the bike. I did check around locally and no one seemed to have any ideas.

I have the manual on disc somewhere in this mess. I will check section 7.

Thanks-

Corso

Well...figured out and fixed.

A damn mouse crawled under my fairings and ate the #4 cylinder wires to the spark plug. I swear I cannot win.

Luckily I had about 5/8 wire to work with. After consulting the local speed shop, they seemed to think a guys could solder in a section as long as it was done well, and shrink wrapped for protection. I tore the bike down, fixed the wires, changed plugs, and figured it was a good time to change the oil, install my Muzzy fan, and flush out my radiator to fill it with engine ice.

So....I just finished up for the night, all I have to do tomorrow is dress her up in her plastics and she's all good.

Just thought I'd let folks know what through the code. It was Mickey mouse all along.

Thanks-

Corso

Back