Need Track Help

BusaSamurai

There Can Be Only One INSTIGATOR * * * *
Donating Member
Registered
Gonna start track days once a month and in current situation cant afford 2 bikes and dont really want to trade for another What is the best things to do so I can have a half way decant shot ...Loosing my fat arse weight will be a must 213lbs 6' right now so its time for some weight watchers ..But there has to be some things I can do that wont break the bank at first any suggestions will be appreciated ..

Practice, practice, practice.

Dont go out there trying to keep up. Take your time and learn your bike.

Oh and prepare for a fall, start collecting parts.

Sounds like fun down the road for you... A few tip's you may consider.
1. Safety wire the oil filter
2. Do not go on the track with 42 psi in the tires.
Ask around for a recommondation 30---35 psi ?
3. I road at Infinion for two years --The most helpful tip i read about was, keep a relaxed grip on the bars and keep your body as loose as possible--- don't death grip the tank with your knees... this did wonders for me.
I did a trackday with the Busa also - all i can say is WOW.

Busa_1.JPG

Thanks I will take my time and learn the track rode a friends r6 raven today man that thing is like throwing a bicycle around.. Gonna have to get me one

Don't try to be fast, just have fun.  Fast will be a by-product of having fun  
wink.gif

Make sure the bike is ready.  Oil level, tire tread, tire PSI, brake pads, suspension settings.

Some of the things I've heard on riding technique include; keep body relaxed(no deathgrips) and look ahead-where you want to go.

As far as modifications to the bike;
1)A 55 profile for the rear tire.  ie 180/55 or 190/55. Quicker turn-in and larger footprint on the side of the tire instead of the center.
2)Raise the rear an inch for ground clearance and quicker turn in.
3)Ensure the front forks are at the proper ride height so you don't run out of ground clearance or bottom out the suspension.
4)EBC HH brake pads.
5)An adjustable steering damper.

Those are the cheap ones I can think of, there are always more expensive mods...

(Charlesbusa @ Sep. 10 2006,19:51) Don't try to be fast, just have fun.  Fast will be a by-product of having fun  
wink.gif

Make sure the bike is ready.  Oil level, tire tread, tire PSI, brake pads, suspension settings.

Some of the things I've heard on riding technique include; keep body relaxed(no deathgrips) and look ahead-where you want to go.

As far as modifications to the bike;
1)A 55 profile for the rear tire.  ie 180/55 or 190/55.  Quicker turn-in and larger footprint on the side of the tire instead of the center.
2)Raise the rear an inch for ground clearance and quicker turn in.
3)Ensure the front forks are at the proper ride height so you don't run out of ground clearance or bottom out the suspension.
4)EBC HH brake pads.
5)An adjustable steering damper.

Those are the cheap ones I can think of, there are always more expensive mods...
Thanks for the info been looking at Dampners already and rearsets . Next is ohlins front and back . Then maybe lighter wheels . Have to have somewhere for tax money to go in feb.
biggrin.gif
Just dont tell the wife .
wink.gif

wink.gif

- In Calif where tracks and tires are hot we run tire pressures of F31/R30
- Pull the rear view mirrors, thats easy.
- raise the rear ride height if your suspension allows (about an inch was possible with my Penske)
- stiffen the suspension per jinksters thread..you'll really notice a difference
- all the tracks here allow us to cover the lights and signals with duct tape
- none requre safety wire..but its a good idea.
- get a back protector. they usually require them by intermediate and up.
- get leathers..looks like you use an all weather suit. I like two piece cause they're easier to get into and out of and are more comfortable on hot days between runs...you can take off the top for example, to cool off.
- they usually run three groups beginner/street, intemediate, race/advanced, so for your first time run the first groups. they often include taining for the beginner groups
- its a good idea (and sometines required) to run water wetter instead of antifreeze.
- If you have tire balancing weights stuck on your rims, tape them down with duct tape....else they might sling off.
- check all your body fairing screws and seat screws. I hate to admit it but I've lost two of these screws during track days and thats a very bad thing to have fall off on a track....wait till the bike's tire in front of you slings something hard into your body or helmet and you'll know what I mean.
- tank up before the track day, and bring a full 5 gallon gas can. I run through a full tank of gas by mid afternoon. The gas they sometimes sell at track days is really expensive.
- bring a full set of metric tools...you can probably skip the torque wrench unless you're gonna pull wheels off/on.
- the cheapest place to get tires out here is at a track day.
- bring a change of clothes
- don't ride to the track day...truck or trailer yourself there. You'll be really tired at the end of the day and reflexes will be shot...safer to drive the cage.
- bring spare gloves, boots etc. if you have them. Nothing is worse than scheduleing, paying for, and arriving at the track day only to discover you forgot something or that your gloves don't pass tec inspection.
- Have the bike ready to be "tec"ed when you arrive (another reason to truck or trailer to the track). the have to register and tec inspect every bike, and that's always a big bottleneck. If you're still tapeing and prepping when you get there, you'll be farther back in line and have less time to get ready for your first run.
- make sure you have those little screw-on caps on your tire valves

less important for first time, but useful if you get into trackdays....
- get adjustable rearsets
- start reducing bike weight
-- 1 unsprung: like wheels and rotors
-- 2 sprung: like exhaust, PAIR removal, undertail, etc.
-- get better suspension with springs selected for your weight/riding style (Penske, Ohlins, etc.)

e2703_std.jpg

Hit me up with a PM for a reminder and we will talk. I'm a little busy right now and will try to get back to you asap!
SHOCKED.gif

...and drink plenty of water!
You'd be suprised how fast you will dehydrate while running around the track in full leathers~ Seen this happen to too many first timers.. especially here in fL~

(justintime2 @ Sep. 13 2006,11:11) To this!
You're good.

Don't get me wrong, you're very good, but you sit really far back. At supebike school they told us that is a recipe for high/low side. They made us do exercises to get our bodies forward...up over the tank. They had us act like our inside knee was glued to the fairing. They said your faceshield should be up over the windshield., arms bent. Below is a photo of one of the exercises we had to do....I'm not very good at it but it illustrates the idea.

In your photos, your face is back at the gas cap. and arms are outstretched... they'd say your weight is too far back.

Again, you're better than me...just passing on what they told us about body position.

e2235_std.jpg

Back