Need to tune with exhaust?

bigblackdmax

Registered
I have searched but can't find any clear answer? Do I need to get my bike tuned on if I put an exhaust on it? I may also want to put a K&N air filter on my bike also. My bike is an 08. I just was wondering if I have to tune it or if I am going to ruin something in my bike. Its new and I don't want to ruin anything. Thanks for your help. Kevin

Last edited:
The idea of tuning (ie Power Commander) is that aftermarket exhausts flow more gas, and so do aftermarket air filters.
You will not get the performance you could get without tuning the fuel mixture to match the extra flow of whatever you add on.

Well on a GenII busa you do not need to do any tuning with a slip on exhaust because the GEN II has an 02 sensor that regulates the air/fuel mixture automatically.

If you go with a full system you will want to tune it to enjoy the maximum gains.

I was thinking a full system, probably a brocks or something. I am not too terrible desparate for the most horsepower but more for sound. I just don't want to ruin the engine or burn up valves or anything. Im used to working on diesel trucks and am just starting to learn on bikes.

I was also wondering if it will hurt anything to take off the mufflers and run it without them till I can afford an exhaust. (I like loud vehicles)

You should have SOME back pressure. Power Commander will only give you HP gains of 5-6 HP from what i have seen. Not really worth the 350+ bucks. They have exhaust tips on ebay that are pretty cheap if you just want noise.

I was thinking a full system, probably a brocks or something. I am not too terrible desparate for the most horsepower but more for sound. I just don't want to ruin the engine or burn up valves or anything. Im used to working on diesel trucks and am just starting to learn on bikes.

Check out M4 retrodrags. They come in slipons and they are extremely light with the baffles removed. The muffler is small and from what I hear tell of, it's about as loud as a smeg.

They also make a full system if you want a peak hp increase.

Mythos

Back