need to change my fork seals...

teddypenn

Registered
so, i need to change my fork seals, but i've never done it before myself. i see lots of posts/how to's on here and it doesn't realy seem like too hard of a job. still, im afraid of doin somethin wrong. anyone in the oklahoma city area got some extra time to help me out before i break down and pay the shop 200 bucks to make sure the jobs done right?

Advice, take your forks off an try itself. Worst case scenario is you can't complete the job (highly unlikely that you will have a problem) and have to retake the forks to the shop and get the seals done and oil put back in. Even then you will save money on the labor of the removal and reinstall

Do you have a stand that grabs the bike under the lower tripple tree (whatever the name is)...or can you tie it up to a beam from above with straps? To get the wheel, fender, brakes, and the forks out? If so that in itself will save you money. While the forks are in the top clamp loosen the 30mm nut at top...it is easier there than when you take the fork legs out of the clamp. The diy link tool design works very well. the link here is usefull Fork Servicing: fluid and spring swapping if / when you make the simple tool...the higher from center you tap the 2" sleeve the easier it is to capture the jamb nut...I went in center and ended welding nuts to the top of the 2" part...in the end it worked great...I am waiting on fork oil but the process is basic if you have the necessary tools and a few hours

It's not too bad as long as you have the correct tools. The DIY tools are fine. I purchased the "offical" Suzuki tools (I love to collect tools). :thumbsup:

I just noticed a slight weeping from my left fork leg. Looks like I will be back at it again. Might have a scratch someplace causing the seal leakage.

mine was a cake walk, was almost intimidated, but went for it any ways. made my own tools to do it, only needed a piece of flat bar with a notch in it, and 2 rods welded to a set of vice grip c clamps to pull the sleeve down. was tons easier than expected, I do recommend only buying genuine suzuki parts though. I bought a cheaper one and was leaking within the first month. oem is still going strong:) and cleanliness is next to godliness on this job too......

ok, im gonna go at it myself. just need to get the seals and oil. prob try to get it done next weekend. thanks for the encouragement :thumbsup:

Back