Need Tips on Restoring the Dash Surrounds

flynlow

Registered
Is there any polish or cleaner that'll make them black again? Don't want to use coatings such as Armor All or Back To Black as they wash away and leave streaks on the paint.
Thanks.

If they are black, I was advised to use black boot polish, the kind in the can. I have not tried it yet because my inners are painted. But I am going to try it on my truck mirrors and plastic trim pieces. The guy that told me this is a extremist in keeping his ride clean, so take it for what it worth. I have also used a product called "bumper bright", works good to and will not run.

There is a polish for plastics to bring back their luster. The name of it escapes me right now, but you should be able to find it at any auto parts store. If any protectant or to look good shiney stuff has been used, it'll turn white over time. The cleaner/conditioner will also help remove any wax that has gotten on to them. I'll see if i can find the name of the stuff.

Thanks twotonevert, I was thinking shoe polish but wasn't sure. Didn't wanna end up with a mess if I was wrong.
I've tried just about every coating out there on my trucks tonneau cover and none lasted after just a couple washings.
Before Armor All came out, there was a product that was like a big can of shoe polish that came with a foam applicator attached to the lid. Used it for the tires and black vinyl roofs, took a little work but looked good.

Last edited:
Thanks again for more products to look into. Wanna get the bike together today after completing the PM yesterday.

Went with the shoe polish as I had it around. Works good. Has a luster to it and made it look evenly black - not spotty looking. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

303_aerospace_protectant.jpg

take the inners completely off, saturate them, let them sit for 10-15 minutes. wipe em down and re install. dark dark color, and they shine like they're brand new.

Went with the shoe polish as I had it around. Works good. Has a luster to it and made it look evenly black - not spotty looking. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Cool, like I said, I will be trying that on my mirrors.

303_aerospace_protectant.jpg

take the inners completely off, saturate them, let them sit for 10-15 minutes. wipe em down and re install. dark dark color, and they shine like they're brand new.

Great stuff. Have a gallon, use it on the boat interior. One of the many products I tried for the tonneau and didn't last. Have you tried it on plastic? My plastic truck mirrors came out smeary. I think shoe polish may be better, just won't be as shiny.

how about considering carbon dash?

or painted from Pashnit?
Posted via Mobile Device

how about considering carbon dash?

or painted from Pashnit?
Posted via Mobile Device

If your talking about the piece immediately around the gauges, I've got CF already. If your talking about the black plastic pieces that the run down the inside of the fairings, I'd love to have CF! But my wallet says shoe polish! :laugh:

I just replaced mine.... I got them in brand new looking condition for like 9.99 off ebay... but i looked almost everyday for a couple weeks before i finally found them that cheap???

I can respect the slim wallet. The more I customize, the slower I ride...not worth the repairs for the quick boost of ego.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back