Need tips for launching....

ColdBusa

Take this Jerry, you silly little rodent
Donating Member
Registered
Hey everybody.
I'm beginning to race this summer, as my wife wants me to do this before I turbo my bike. I have only practiced a few times, but I have a few questions.

With my mods in my sig, what should I be launching at? I have a battleaxe bt-56 tire in the rear for now. I am going to get a new tire next month.

Also, when I was practicing, I was launching at 4000rpms. When I did this I found that the bike bogged a bit off the line, but woke right up and pulled like crazy. I did try dumping the clutch and it stalled on my twice, probably because I layed off the throttle. I can launch my car like a pro, but I feel like my launch is really really slow..lol

I haven't been to the track yet to tell how fast I am going, but I have my first race on May 9th. If anybody has any tips, post up as I could really use the help. Thanks guys.

egitarre77.gif

Launching is an individual art.

I never run the RPMs up past 4200. When the go light comes on I am twisting the throttle and slipping the clutch. You want to try and be at wide open throttle by the 60ft.

Be sure to get as far forward as possible and place your face in the screen. You will need your weight to calm the bike's desire to wheelie.

It's going to take a lot of practice.

You may also want to invest in a clutch mod if you haven't done so yet. This will keep the clutch from grabbing and chattering off the line. You will definitely need this with a turbo.

it all comes in time and everyone does it alittle diff. I was doing about 4k and just open up as fast as you can .

I believe your launch RPM will be based on your weight & the bikes gearing.
I am 235, I ran a 16/45 gearing combo and launched at 5200-5500. Letting the clutch go within a 1 count. The bike would slightly bogg then pick up almost instantly.This netted the best ET and mph for me.

Friends of mine that are 150lbs-ish, run 16/42 and leave at 4500.

As everyone said its art and comes with time dont rush. Also careful on dumping the clutch. Two years ago i dumped my clutch and about .2 seconds later i watched my bike launch in teh air and do a back flip...wired feeling staring into the headlight of the bike your riding. Be safe.

thanks for the tips guys. I guess I will just keep practicing and see what happens May 9th. Oh yeah my weight is 175lbs, so I am a little on the light side.

I know that you guys have been talking about this for some time. I am new to the site and I took my 08n busa to the trake for the first time last night and for a lack of better words made a fool out of myself. I did three launches and the first one I put the clutch and stalled it. The secound I a great light .013 crazy right?! and the 3rd I ran my best top end speed of a 130, but my getting of the line is freaking me out, I want to launch without the fear of getting the front wheel to high of the ground and slapping my balls on the tank. Any pointers? Thanks

Don't do this... it's hard on the left toes and you only get a few track days out of the right shoe...

Busa.jpg

That is for sure what I dont want to do. Everything I have on it is stock for know. I just want to run it and have some fun hers a pix from last night

That is for sure what I dont want to do. Everything I have on it is stock for know. I just want to run it and have some fun hers a pix from last night
Best thing you can do if it's not already done is lower and strap it. then if your under 225 suited you can run 9.80's easy, with seat time.

start easy and work your way up.... To give you an idea of "rider" influence, we have a couple "turbo" bikes that are running in the 10's... Yep, 10's... and some stockers running in the mid 9's.. so technique is pretty important..

We did have one of Ryan Schintz's bikes run a low 7 last night... smokin fast track for a Wednesday huh?
beerchug.gif

Back