Need some opinions on these pics...which airbox mods are done?

rashad

Registered
So Im still fixing and undoing the mess left by past ownership..almost done:bowdown: And its nice to have a buddies heated music filled garage to work in patiently when Im not trying to go riding in an hour all the time.

I finally got around to pulling out the air filter. I know that sounds strange, but all five bolts were stripped. In fact, they had used a few screws, some torx bits, and whatever they had to fill the holes. I ordered some new airbox screws a few minutes ago. Anyhow, I really have never seen the inside of my airbox, so I decided to take a few pics for the .org airbox mod experts so they could give their input.

What mods are done? Is this ok to run with a Brock's full system and PCIII? I know the pair mod is done because the exhaust block off are there. I plan on getting the BMC race filter. I just wondered if I should leave the airbox this way or get a stock one since i noticed the part throttle hesitation since ive owned it. However I did have only slip ons so that might be part of it.

airbox.jpg

airbox1.jpg

airbox2.jpg

Oh and also, I bought some 1" raising links. They are very well machined and great quality..however, correct me if Im wrong, but these look EXACTLY THE SAME LENGTH AS STOCK!

suspension links.jpg

The links look to be a little bit shorter which in turn would raise the bike. I wouldn't think it would raise it more than 1/2" though, if that.

wait my brain isnt working right... so a shorter link would raise it? I guess I have to look at it again.

It looks almost identical to the stock size, that pic is misleading. Im gonna send a msg to the seller.

Good to see your wrenching on your bike & getting it in order. However your pics are awful. Hopefully the ".org airbox mod experts" can still help you out.

Let us know how it turns out, I know you're excited to get your bike up to speed and ruuning like she is supposed to.

wait my brain isnt working right... so a shorter link would raise it? I guess I have to look at it again.

It looks almost identical to the stock size, that pic is misleading. Im gonna send a msg to the seller.

Yes a shorter link will raise the bike, and longer links will lower the bike. To me the holes in the link look to be about 1/4" difference. I think it makes more of a difference in the overall height than just the length of the links, though I am not sure about that part of it. Somebody will be able to explain this better I am sure. It took me a while to understand the link lengths when I was lowering my bike.

Yeah the pics were taken with my blackberry while I held up the tank with my left hand. My "helper, " is 8 years old and he was getting hungry. Ok, I will check out the links more closely. And I looked at the stickies some more and it appears I have the small airbox mod but they left the flapper valve in. I just hope that isnt hurting my cruising driveability.

We did mount up the oil pan with a new gasket today(old one leaked) and filled her up with oil. Caden got to turn his first wrench!:thumbsup:

Yup looking at the pics small irbox mod with 2 long and 2 short stacks witch is oem set-up. Flapper valve in the bottom is probably there just to seal the hole not doing anything else now that the actual flapper has been removed.

thats the large air box mod....the small on eis only removing the flapper...your flapper is gone and all the interior is cut out...wont hurt anything ...in fact enjoy the extra ponies..i do mean ponies not horses...you can disconnect the wire that goes to the circuit wich opens and closes that flapper and then program the ecu to control nos or an air shifter with it

thats the large air box mod....the small on eis only removing the flapper...your flapper is gone and all the interior is cut out...wont hurt anything ...in fact enjoy the extra ponies..i do mean ponies not horses...you can disconnect the wire that goes to the circuit wich opens and closes that flapper and then program the ecu to control nos or an air shifter with it

Yep that was always my understanding to:
Small mod was just removing the flapper and capping the vacum
large mod was cutting out the hole area aroudn the flapper section.

I did large mod on the MULLET, but also did the filter and orig Full HMFs at the same time.....so could not tell the diff of the air box mod. Sure felt power from changing the compete air box, filter, full exhaust, and pc map......thu.

That is the small Airbox mod. The large Airbox mod removes the entire floor all the way other to the inside walls of the airbox.

Also remove the tall Velocity stacks and install all short ones.

Awesome guys, thank you!

What would the advantage be to put all short stacks in. That would help top end correct?
Posted via Mobile Device

That's the small box mod. The small box mod lets you retain the OE filter configureation where as the large box mod you can't.
Here's a pic of the large box mod. Totaly different. Notice how there's no floor between the lower and upper chamber of the airbox.

P3225537.jpg

Last edited:
Back