need some much needed help on 60ft time

LeDauz

Registered
just finished racing tonight and while looking over all my tickets my reaction time is around 0.18-0.24sec but my 60ft time is almost always at 2.4-2.5sec.

am guessing that coming out at a higher rmp would help but when i do that i often lose traction with the back wheel and end up spinning it. also while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear i get a little wheel spin.

if anyone gots any advice on any ticks i could do to improve this or just thoughts on practiceing my launch would be helpful I hope

Whats your tire pressure? How long or short do you do you burnout? What tire are you using and are you at stock wheelbase or extended?

I can tell you if you keep working on it, it will come around. Last year my 60 foot was a 2.2. Just went out for my 5th. time and cut my personal best of 1.50 at 60"....keep at it. Getting your suspension dialed in is key and getting WOT helps. Go to the track and just work on your 60 foot nothing else. Don't worry about what anyone else is thinking or saying do your building blocks... Launching at 5K in this video with stock gearing, 20 psi in the rear and Avon's street tire Viper Super Sport....

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you if you keep working on it, it will come around. Last year my 60 foot was a 2.2. Just went out for my 5th. time and cut my personal best of 1.50 at 60"....
In 5 sessions at the track you went from complete garbage to a 1.50? on a 60" bike with a hard tire? Must've been long sessions. :whistle::wtf:

It takes practice! Work the clutch more and try to pin the throttle as soon as you can.

You should be able to go high-1.7's on a completely stock bike...

Lowered only 1.50's...

Stretched and any other mods 1.40's or LESS! :beerchug:

In 5 sessions at the track you went from complete garbage to a 1.50? on a 60" bike with a hard tire? Must've been long sessions. :whistle::wtf:
Probably 12 passes to get there, my racing crew from ZX14.net has been out with me each of the times...some of them have been drag racing for 10+ years and have not progressed that fast. Just a fast learner and from spending 10+ years in high risk training, learned to cope with stress. I am a building blocks kind of guy, one step at a time and its working. :beerchug: also been riding for 24 years just liked the corners, then.
Been to:

Keith Codes Superbike School (2)
Rickey Gadson's Drag Racing School (2)
Jason Millers Drag Racing School (3)

Got my best results breaking down the steps and focusing on one phase a a time.

Last edited:
stock leght and height and 38psi in back tire launch around 4k rpms
Honestly if you are going to the drag strip you should set your bike up for drag racing. If the chassis is dialed in you will have way less wheelies and you will be able to get WOT fast and leave the internet big mouths wondering what just happended.

Plenty of guys at the strip with lowered bikes with 1.6-1.7 60 foot times....there is skill involved, just hone the skill, most of all work at your own speed..Going WOT right off the line will take some time... :beerchug:

Just don't cheat to win.....

Last edited:
Probably 12 passes to get there, my racing crew from ZX14.net has been out with me each of the times...some of them have been drag racing for 10+ years and have not progressed that fast. Just a fast learner and from spending 10+ years in high risk training, learned to cope with stress. I am a building blocks kind of guy, one step at a time and its working. :beerchug: also been riding for 24 years just liked the corners, then.
Been to:

Sooooo in 12 passes you went from rubbish to a 1.50? That doesn't make you a fast learner, that makes you better than RG and Jason Miller, hell that makes you better than just about everybody in the history of drag racing. Doesn't matter who is with you telling you what, or how long you been riding, there is only one way to become good at drag racing, and that's to get out and do it.
Would like to see your skills in person. Any plans to go to big races this year? ProStar perhaps?

Sooooo in 12 passes you went from rubbish to a 1.50? That doesn't make you a fast learner, that makes you better than RG and Jason Miller, hell that makes you better than just about everybody in the history of drag racing. Doesn't matter who is with you telling you what, or how long you been riding, there is only one way to become good at drag racing, and that's to get out and do it.
Would like to see your skills in person. Any plans to go to big races this year? ProStar perhaps?
Don't read into my message...just stating what worked for me......Prostar is no longer just in case you missed that...

nope my shop is way too busy to be away from it and honestly I don't want to take the fun out of an occasional day at the track. I just keep doing my thing and having fun with my friends. We laugh all the time at the money you can throw away at a full race program and get almost nothing in return. :beerchug:

Last edited:

Anyway, back on topic. If you want to keep the bike how it sits, take some air out of your tire. Drop 10 to start with, then if it's still spinning 5 more. Still spinning remove 1 or 2 at a time til it hooks. Find a buddy to bring an air tank if you ride your bike to the track, that way you can air it back up when you're done. If you're wanting to mod the bike, lowering links and a front strap are the easiest and cheapest place to start.
Different people have different launch techniques, just play around with different rpms til you find whats comfortable for you. Point is to get off the clutch and throttle wide open as quickly as you can. Some folks launch barely above idle, some at 7 or 8k.

Don't read into my message...just stating what worked for me......Prostar is no longer just in case you missed that...

nope my shop is way too busy to be away from it and honestly I don't want to take the fun out of an occasional day at the track. I just keep doing my thing and having fun with my friends. We laugh all the time at the money you can throw away at a full race program and get almost nothing in return. :beerchug:
Didn't read into your message, just actually read it. It may now be called AMA dragbike, but for those of us that have been around a while, it's prostar...
Regardless, let me know when and where you race, I will try and come check you out.
BTW, a shop like yours would get more business if you had a race program, it's advertising. Timeslips are incapable of lying......

Didn't read into your message, just actually read it. It may now be called AMA dragbike, but for those of us that have been around a while, it's prostar...
Regardless, let me know when and where you race, I will try and come check you out.
BTW, a shop like yours would get more business if you had a race program, it's advertising. Timeslips are incapable of lying......
Ok, not going to sour this thread with a bunch of jibberish. I go racing with my friends. Enjoy your day. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Been to:

You've been to all of those schools...?

What tire do you have?

Drop the rear tire pressure to 20 and see if it hooks then.

Tighten the rebound on the rear shock a few clicks. I ran mine 1-2 out from full in with a stock shock. If it squats too hard run the compression in a couple clicks from your current setting.

Once you get the tire hooked up, you can bump the pressure a couple of #s until you detect it slipping again. Then you have a window... remember this window changes with track conditions. I tried to run a sticky tire with as much pressure as possible but you need to find what works for your track conditions. I've ran as little as 10lbs but don't start there.

Consider a strap on the front... for at the track only. It can help quite a bit.

I could launch mine stock wheel base, stock height with a street time in the mid to high 1.60s. There are those that are better than me that could do better. Lowered, stock lenght I saw some high 1.50s but mainly low 1.60s.

Read through the launching thread pinned at the top.

There is one post taking about the throttle clutch control with a graph
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/1-4-mile/36091-launching-3.html#post1161492

Others may do it a bit different, but it worked for me.

Ok, not going to sour this thread with a bunch of jibberish. I go racing with my friends. Enjoy your day. :beerchug:
Gibberish? I merely asked where I could witness your astounding level of development for myself. I race with friends, strangers, whoever likes to get down. I sincerely meant that a shop such as yours would reap the benefits of hard facts, it seems to work well for others in the business. This thread was started by a guy asking for help with something that I do regularly, I'm more than happy to offer any help I can to him. If you consider that gibberish, so be it.
I have already responded to your ridiculous assertions in your dyno-drag thread, if you have something other than bluster and grandstanding to offer here, something factual and constructive perhaps, then by all means you should. If not, may I suggest you stick to posting in either your own threads, or those which concern things you know something about? Thanks.:beerchug:

when you get the second yellow light you can roll another 6 inches forward into the stage, higher rpm's work the clutch heat up that tire and drop the tire air pressure way down, when you have the dough go to a 16 front and 2 or 3 up in the rear sprocket as well....we are getting 1.6's 60 foot with 148mph at 9.04 on stock bore and stroke busa gen 1....6 inch stretch though...mine with no strecth all stock is doing 9.72's

btw every track I have ever been to has free air... its usually over where they sell the gas....

Last edited:
when you get the second yellow light you can roll another 6 inches forward into the stage, higher rpm's work the clutch heat up that tire and drop the tire air pressure way down, when you have the dough go to a 16 front and 2 or 3 up in the rear sprocket as well....we are getting 1.4's 60 foot with 148mph at 9.04 on stock bore and stroke busa gen 1....6 inch stretch though...mine with no strecth all stock is doing 9.72's
Good info here, would caution about a lot of gearing on a stock wheelbase bike with a rookie pilot though....
Plus I gotta disagree with dropping the air pressure too much, kills mph and et. Keep as much in it as the track will take.....
You want him deep staging already!:lol:

Gibberish? I merely asked where I could witness your astounding level of development for myself. I race with friends, strangers, whoever likes to get down. I sincerely meant that a shop such as yours would reap the benefits of hard facts, it seems to work well for others in the business. This thread was started by a guy asking for help with something that I do regularly, I'm more than happy to offer any help I can to him. If you consider that gibberish, so be it.
I have already responded to your ridiculous assertions in your dyno-drag thread, if you have something other than bluster and grandstanding to offer here, something factual and constructive perhaps, then by all means you should. If not, may I suggest you stick to posting in either your own threads, or those which concern things you know something about? Thanks.:beerchug:
Do you have a 60" (no longer) Hayabusa built by your hands. FOOT SHIFTING ONLY, no de-raked forks. Need to put all skill in the focus. If so, if you are in the Maryland area I would be glad to have a friendly 1320 run. Just let me know where and when. Many years vs. 5 times at the track, should be a very easy race for you... :beerchug: I'll even buy you a beer... I don't gamble either no cash involved! One pass off the trailer, all motor...built or not, all motor.....This applies to you and you only Sir! Then maybe you can teach me how to get faster when we are all done.. I am 41 and weigh 220 dressed...

Last edited:
Back