Need some helpfrom Insurance Gurus underwriters please.

TallTom

Registered
I went to State Farm 3 years ago after GIECO rates started to get crazy. Went to State Farm and 6 weeks later dropped my bike in the garage. They paid out 3K on that claim. A year later I had a minor go down when I hit a patch of oil at about 10 MPH and she slid out from under me. They paid out 4K. About a month ago while at work, my truck got damaged from a tornado that took the awning off a neighboring company and tore it into mine and four other vehicles. I received 3700 in damages.

I called my agent and he said I was covered if need be. The Port police came out and filled out a report and cited the company as being liable for the damages. This has been 2 months now. The company has not made any attempt to contact any of us. I contacted the Port Authority and they are unsure if the company should be liable for an act of god that did not happen on their property. They were not negligent and therefore may not be held accountable for the damages.

So if I make a claim with SF for this, this will leave me with a 3rd claim in as many years of being with State Farm. The only 3 claims I have made on a vehicle in over 25 years. I called my agent today and he said that they would indeed pay out on my claim, however he believes that there is a chance that they will drop me. Not because of any other factor than the amount they have had to pay out over a short period of time. Which I actually get and understand. With the exception of the oil patch spill, I was not even in or on my vehicles for 2 of these claims. I have not had any tickets at all in the past 9 years. The one I got before that was a traveling wrong way in a one way street. That was like 11 years ago. I took my safety class and it was dropped from my record. My point of sharing all of this is to ask the following:

1. Should I wait and see what happens if State Farm pays out? My agent said it isn't his call if they choose to not renew me. It is all dependent on a model they use. He can't say if I will or will not be dropped. He simply said in his experience in 30 years with State Farm, he is concerned that the chances are better than 50/50 against me.

2. Should I just start shopping before this happens? So that I won't be shopping after being dropped and put into the system as a dropped insured.

3. I like State Farm and have no complaints about them as a company. I was happy with the rates they gave me for all my vehicles. Way cheaper than GEICO became. And if they drop me, I still won't be complaining about SF. I understand why.

4. Can or should I fight if they choose to drop me? If so what are my weapons?

They can't raise your rates or drop you for comp claims. If you have a police report saying the other company is at fault give it to your insurance company. They should fix your car and go after the other company for reimbursement. Good luck.

They can't raise your rates or drop you for comp claims. If you have a police report saying the other company is at fault give it to your insurance company. They should fix your car and go after the other company for reimbursement. Good luck.

He did mention that they would subrogate on my part to recover. But that still goes against me as a claim.

Same thing happened years ago where I work. A tornado came down and ripped off the 2nd floor of our office and trashed part of our shop. A bunch of cars parked in the back lot were tossed around and hit with debris from the building.

A few guys tried to get the company's insurance to pay for damages and they were told they're SOL. It was an act of God.

If it was a normal gust of wind and the awning wasn't secured properly, then you'd have no problem with a claim...with a tornado, you don't stand a chance.

I'd be more selective of future claims. Less than $1500 and I'm paying out of pocket. I don't know how bad your garage tip over was, but usually it's well under a $1K do it yourself repair (at least on a gen 1). That would include a brand new side fairing and nose. If a stock can was damaged, odds are good a member here would have given you a like new one for the cost of shipping.

Back