Need some help with zora

Kahunas

Registered
Hey guys I was having a tough time last year with the charging and found that my stator was bad ...burnt to a crisp IMAG0019.jpg

so I replaced it about two months ago ...I did a quick inspection of the plug that connects at the stator plug under the tank and didn't see any problems ....did my voltage ohms check and all seemed good ..

so I was taking my wife home from work and stopped at the gas station and about to take off and she wouldn't start ....soooooo my wife was really upset that our ride was cut short on such a beautiful night ...we went straight home I was not going to chance being stuck on the highway lol

this is what I found IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0019.jpgIMAG0098.jpgIMAG0097.jpgIMAG0096.jpgIMAG0095.jpgIMAG0093.jpg

so my questions are am I going to be able to find the plug from the wiring harness separate or am I going to have to buy a whole wiring harness ....

and what the heck caused this to happen ?
there wasn't a short from the stator to the casing that was checked

your input is greatly appreciated ...and I remembered that this thread is useless without pics :)

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

Looks like the voltage regulator went bad and spiked. Not sure in your harness question. Where did you get that stator and what brand is it?

there was a recall on them for 08-09. did you do the swap at the dealer recently?

no sorry my bike is a 2001 model and I had purchased a used one on ebay unsure of the brand ..

the one I believe came off of a 2007 model apparently wrecked bike lol

there was a recall on them for 08-09. did you do the swap at the dealer recently?

no I try to do the work myself unless it comes to opening the engine my bike deserves a pro when it comes to the engine because I feel like I would screw something up or get frustrated halfway through haha im getting better though

PM GIXERHP. There's been a few complaints about the connector melting on Gen I's. Apparently you have bigger problems. Does the bike have any added electrical goodies ?

has anyone ever used a rec reg from another bike ...are they the same or do they all have dif diodes ?

I'm thinking Gen I is Gen I and Gen II is Gen II, if you get what I mean. The wire harness is a different thing in '03 or '04 they changed up and of course in '08 they changed again.

crap well to answer dadofthree the only thing that is attached is my pigtail to charge the bat in storage and my power commander usb 3 .....of course I did have lights on her that I removed because I was trying to not take a chance of draining the bat during winter months just to be safe you know ....

when you say bigger problems what are we talking about here :) :banghead:

crap well to answer dadofthree the only thing that is attached is my pigtail to charge the bat in storage and my power commander usb 3 .....of course I did have lights on her that I removed because I was trying to not take a chance of draining the bat during winter months just to be safe you know ....

when you say bigger problems what are we talking about here :) :banghead:

Bigger probs is just refering to reg/retifier or bad connection etc. How long did the FleaBay stator last? Might have been on its way out when you bought it.

I cant remem how to test a voltage regulator,but it should be in the manual. I'd definately test everything before putting in a NEW stator,not one from FleaBay.

Ask for the updated one,if there is such a thing.(due to the recall)

Just my 2 cents.

RSD.

Bigger probs is just refering to reg/retifier or bad connection etc. How long did the FleaBay stator last? Might have been on its way out when you bought it.

I cant remem how to test a voltage regulator,but it should be in the manual. I'd definately test everything before putting in a NEW stator,not one from FleaBay.

Ask for the updated one,if there is such a thing.(due to the recall)

Just my 2 cents.

RSD.

lol fleabay haven't heard that one before ...ya I tested therec reg today well as far as us diyers can ..(diodes) and it is fried to say the least every test I did failed and as far as how long the stator lasted was about three rides maybe and I mean maybe

is this why people upgraded to the 24 volt system ...there was a stator I was looking at that is rated for higher voltage but it said you would need the correct rec reg so I did not buy it of course ..

lol fleabay haven't heard that one before ...ya I tested therec reg today well as far as us diyers can ..(diodes) and it is fried to say the least every test I did failed and as far as how long the stator lasted was about three rides maybe and I mean maybe

is this why people upgraded to the 24 volt system ...there was a stator I was looking at that is rated for higher voltage but it said you would need the correct rec reg so I did not buy it of course ..

I'd just stick with stock componants,unless you plan on installing an amp in the nose,speakers in the dash,and a sub in the hump. :laugh:

Some folks get 100,000 miles+ outa the stock electrical,you just had bad luck IMHO. I like to keep the eletrical and other major componants as close to stock as possible,in case service is ever needed on a road trip. harley dealers would not touch some of the choppers and pro-streets that I have had(assuming I would ever ask) because they were so far from stock,they wouldn't know where to begin. One pro-street I had had 2 stock parts on it,the frame and the frames serial number.:laugh:

Its a nice option to be able to roll into a Zook dealer (if need be) and not have to explain a thousand mods,strating with how to get the seat off. :rofl:

Just my opinion,

RSD.

ok so I have replaced the rectifier and also replaced the wires and soldered them to make sure they didn't spark off get loose ect. ect. and im doing my load test charge test and at idle it shows 14.5 then I rev to 5,000 rpm and the voltage drops to 13.5

............I call up my local shop and he tells me I have a charging issue it should not drop with high revs ......do you concur?

so I take his advice and check the ohms again on the stator and since I didn't buy rec and stator at the same time the old rec could have burnt the new stator ....ohms were out of spec .7 .6 .5 .......manual says between .2------.4 so that didn't check good

but the no load test ...ie running stator check shows above 65v ....showed 70 v give or take

the wires were extremely hot and so was the new rectifier just in the 1 to 2 min of running so I shut it down before it could get any hotter

any ideas as to why ?

Back