Need some help to find a problem.

GSXTacy

Mr. January
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, I'm working on my friends neglected 03. The steering on this thing just isnt right. It was involved in a lay over then flipped to the other side. No damage to the nose cone, no fluids lost; just both lowers rashed up. He rode away from the scene and has been riding it since (last year some time) without fixing anything since the accident. I did all the basic stuff just to catch up on the maint. (Chain, oil, other fluids). Both fork seals were blown (replaced) Now the last problem. When I ride the bike the steering almost feels "mushy" like there in very little air in the front tire. While at low speeds it almost wants to turn itself, when I initiate a turn I really have to put alot of pressure on the bars to get back to going strait. I've looked over the frame and dont see any obvious damage but that is what I am worried about. Any ideas of obvious things to look at for bent part that I am missing? How do I know if the frame is bent? TIA for any ideas.

Do you think the profile of the tire could be the cause? Perhaps try swapping with yours?

Who did the fork seals?
It may not have been put back properly, or no oil or the wrong oil used.
The steering head bearings may need grease and re-torque, from the sounds of the steering problem.
Good Luck!

does it want to turn in the same direction? try disconnecting the steering damper, maybe its damaged, has air in it, or incorrect damper oil change:whistle:

Hard to say without feeling it, but perhaps it's just "normal"? Lowering will affect the handling a bit. I can feel the difference between mine and Bessie. I've lowered Violet and Bessie is stock. Bessie will turn in easier...noticeably easier.

You've raised yours in the rear, correct? That tends to make it turn in easier, too. Perhaps you're just noticing the difference between the two?

I agree with Omar rthat the profile of the tire can change the handling - and that also, the height of the bike as well - what does the owner say? Does he notice a difference (or has he just gotten used to it?)

I agree with Omar rthat the profile of the tire can change the handling - and that also, the height of the bike as well - what does the owner say? Does he notice a difference (or has he just gotten used to it?)

He said he noticed the difference right afte the accident. This is kind of why I wasnt to worried about the tire.

I've had to change the steering neck races and bearing after collisions. The races dent sometimes and the steering will not feel right. I know there made of hardened steel but they do dent. Reason why I replace them with tapered roller bearings.

I've had to change the steering neck races and bearing after collisions. The races dent sometimes and the steering will not feel right. I know there made of hardened steel but they do dent. Reason why I replace them with tapered roller bearings.

Where do you get the tapered roller bearings?

chaparral
dennis kirk
tucker rocky

These 3 are all reselling All Balls Bearings.
I have looked at them on the All Balls site, and they look good (I use All Balls Fork Seals and they are excellent).
I was just wondering if there was another manufacturer of the bearings besides them.

i'd stand it next to another busa with her goodies off and take some measurements. if the problem wasn't evident b4 the crash, sumthings gotta b bent. that or like 1180 said, fork seals done wrong. i've heard of steering probs after incorrect seal or oil replacement.

Sounds like a pinched tube on one or both front forks.

--Wag--

Back