Need some encouragement....:-/

Kitcheneater

Registered
Ok, so some of you may be familiar with my recent bike debacle! 08' had an ex put sugar in the tank....one thing led to another. And the problems keep piling up. First I needed Injectors, ordered them, then a fuel pump, got a good deal on one! So I pull the old pump of and my tank is trashed!! Can I clean it? Or do I drop ANOTHER load on a new tank?!?! Sorry to rant, I'm just overwhelmed with this, although I'm learning A LOT, I just want to ride!!!! Your thoughts and motivation is appreciated!!!!!! Ugh...

I had a car that one of the neighbor kids poured a 2 liter of Mtn Dew in the tank. Didn't know about it until it was too late. That car was NEVER the same.
I hope you have better luck than I did.
I would look into a hitman though if I were you. It will make you feel better. :poke:

I've got a slightly dinged white and blue one from my 09.
Before you look into the cost of a new one you can steal this one from me and have it fixed and painted maybe? It's perfect in every way except the dent. Not even a scratch on the paint where the dent is.
7a650a6d.jpg

How so is the tank 'trashed'? Is it crusty inside or what?

We used to clean rust scale and nastys out of tractor gas tanks by plugging off the holes, adding 3/8" nuts (bolts), marbles, even rocks. Fill it about 1/2 full of water, then shake it baby shake it! lol
or if your lazy, put it in the bed of the truck and go for a drive..
The hardware and the water act kinda like a sandblaster on the inside of the tank. Once its all loosened up flush it with more water then some gas before putting it back together.

Never tried it with sugar though...still should work, worth a shot.

I had written a whole nice paragraph and this comp didn't send it. Here's the gist:

1) Remove gas tank and empty
2) Take the tank cap assy off
3) Pour in 2 bottles of Seafoam
4) With a brillo pad, scrub the interior using the Seafoam
5) Empty, rinse with water
6) Empty, DRY WELL, lint-free rags are best
7) Pour in isopropyl alcohol and swish around to coat interior and remove water molicules
8) Install on bike
9) Fill with gas and water remover (Alcohol or Seafoam)
10) Ride

This will work if at least one of two things are met:

1) Get the interior recoated to prevent corrosion from the water in gas
2) ALWAYS use a water removing agent with fill ups of gas

Good luck man!

I had written a whole nice paragraph and this comp didn't send it. Here's the gist:

1) Remove gas tank and empty
2) Take the tank cap assy off
3) Pour in 2 bottles of Seafoam
4) With a brillo pad, scrub the interior using the Seafoam
5) Empty, rinse with water
6) Empty, DRY WELL, lint-free rags are best
7) Pour in isopropyl alcohol and swish around to coat interior and remove water molicules
8) Install on bike
9) Fill with gas and water remover (Alcohol or Seafoam)
10) Ride

This will work if at least one of two things are met:

1) Get the interior recoated to prevent corrosion from the water in gas
2) ALWAYS use a water removing agent with fill ups of gas

Good luck man!

How do you scrub the inside of a gas tank with a Brillo pad ???

I forget how small the opening is on the tank itself. Pretty much anything that you can get in there with some kind of scrubby material. Maybe a dishwashing wand?

I had the near replaced and the pistons re ringed and all that jazz...so the motor is sound! Now just the details...killing me here!

How about you have old girl arrested for something like Willful Destruction of Property (or whatever charge fits in your state) then have the judge order her to pay restitution... That would be happening if it were me. Good luck getting it back together...

How about you have old girl arrested for something like Willful Destruction of Property (or whatever charge fits in your state) then have the judge order her to pay restitution... That would be happening if it were me. Good luck getting it back together...

1000000000000000% agree with this statement!

By all means yes... Here that would constitute 'felony MDOP' (malicious destruction of property) I would get 'Old Bill' involved in this, and have her locked up! :poke: ...just saying!

I forget how small the opening is on the tank itself. Pretty much anything that you can get in there with some kind of scrubby material. Maybe a dishwashing wand?

I guess squeezing her head through the tank opening and using her hair to scrub the sides is not an option :whistle:

Oh well :laugh:

yea! THANKS fellas......I'm doing my best to stay excited about this! I love my bike and this is just a minor set back, i know. :beerchug::thumbsup: appreciate all the org love!

Back