Need some electronics help...

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I am working on a project and i need some help with the electronics part... I need to take an device that is typically usually powered by an AC adapter and get power from 12 VDC. Does anyone know of a device that is already out there that I can use or a simple part that I can use to get the right voltage and amperage as to not hurt my device....

Since the device is apparently already runs on DC voltage I think I just need to step it down from 12VDC to 5VDC and make sure there isn't more than 1amp.....

Any suggestions!

5vdc.jpg

5vdc.jpg

If the device you are trying to power requires 12VDC then you will need a 12VDC power supply from an AC adapter. Amps are controlled by the resistance of the device pulling the voltage.
Your question is kinda confusing. Please rephrase.

I want to power the device from 12vdc, it comes with a transformer that can be used in a house and converts it from 120VAC.....

If you read the power supply for the device it tells you that the power it needs is 5vdc

It's a simple circuit if you have someone local that messes with electronics. Just a simple voltage divider off a cigar charger would work. More than likely someone makes one.

Have you checked with the manufacture to see if they make a car charger ?

They won't for the device that I am using, however, I dont want to use a regular car charger I want to hardwire this to the car..

They won't for the device that I am using, however, I dont want to use a regular car charger I want to hardwire this to the car..
Talk to one of your local buddies that does it. Two identical 1 watt resistors will divide the 12 V to 6 V and you should be fine. But see what they say. Most cars run around 13.3 vdc, he should be able to play with the resistance and give you 5 vdc off one side of the divider circuit. Might even be better ways to do it. It's been many decades :laugh:

Cap,

USB devices use 5 volts.
A car cellphone charger will have a voltage regulator in it. Take one apart and hard wire the electronics to your application.

Griffin makes a very small cig to USB adapter that is rated at 1 amp. It is called powerjolt dual. $5.00 on eBay. I ordered 2 about 2 hours ago.
They are tiny and you should be able to easily break it down.

Talk to one of your local buddies that does it. Two identical 1 watt resistors will divide the 12 V to 6 V and you should be fine. But see what they say. Most cars run around 13.3 vdc, he should be able to play with the resistance and give you 5 vdc off one side of the divider circuit. Might even be better ways to do it. It's been many decades :laugh:

Be careful. Using a voltage divider like that can depend on the load you are using. You will be placing resistance in parallel to one of the resistors changing the voltage. The voltage dividers work with extremely small current draws but a voltage regulated circuit is a better choice.

Be careful. Using a voltage divider like that can depend on the load you are using. You will be placing resistance in parallel to one of the resistors changing the voltage. The voltage dividers work with extremely small current draws but a voltage regulated circuit is a better choice.
I couldn't agree more and that's why I kept saying talk to a local guru :thumbsup: Autos have a regulated 12 vdc system and battery circuits are great as far as all the bad stuff ac circuits bring to the table.

Cap,

USB devices use 5 volts.
A car cellphone charger will have a voltage regulator in it. Take one apart and hard wire the electronics to your application.

Griffin makes a very small cig to USB adapter that is rated at 1 amp. It is called powerjolt dual. $5.00 on eBay. I ordered 2 about 2 hours ago.
They are tiny and you should be able to easily break it down.

2 hours ago huh? You workimg on the same project?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Cap, can you call me tomorrow during the day? I might be able to help you out

Lurch I just ordered one of those Cig lighter thingys professor mentioned.. I couldnt find one earlier and that should do it..

I can't wait to show you guys what I am working on.. .

Back